Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 09:21 AM

63,864 posts, read 40,142,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I remember when I felt the power of God's love. It was the night when I decided to leave Christianity, when I decided to take full responsibility for my actions, when I decided that if anything unfortunate happened to me or my family, a god wouldn't be blamed. The only credit I give to god is the feeling of freedom that night, which continues to this very day. Freedom is how I feel loved.

I don't think there is any turning back. I have encountered good teaching that supports perspective. This is different from providing perspective and hoping good teaching follows (or in some cases, teaching was not even provided). This has been my experience with Christianity.
You have discerned the essence of our task in the bold. God is independent and so are we to become independent and self-reliant, NOT slaves, or pets. It is our character that should drive our attitudes and behaviors, NOT obedience for obedience sake. That is the freedom Jesus proclaimed and demonstrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 09:25 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have discerned the essence of our task in the bold. God is independent and so are we to become independent and self-reliant, NOT slaves, or pets. It is our character that should drive our attitudes and behaviors, NOT obedience for obedience sake. That is the freedom Jesus proclaimed and demonstrated.
Could you quote scripture that essentially says that?

Old 09-30-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Scripture was written by men who didn't believe that, phet. They believed in obedience for obedience sake because it was God's will. They believed God controlled everything in including their own decisions and actions whether willful or accidental. If you were crippled in an accident, they believe God was displeased with you, so they would mistreat the cripples. They did not want to treat them better than God did. Why would you want to use their interpretations of God's motives?

Old 09-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Scripture was written by men who didn't believe that, phet. They believed in obedience for obedience sake because it was God's will. They believed God controlled everything in including their own decisions and actions whether willful or accidental. If you were crippled in an accident, they believe God was displeased with you, so they would mistreat the cripples. They did not want to treat them better than God did. Why would you want to use their interpretations of God's motives?
Okay.

But here's my point -- you just made up your premise.

I find nothing particularly wrong with the premise. But you just made it up.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
It is indeed made up. In fact the Gospels emphasise the character of Jesus as being obedient up to and including death, even though he asked to be let off. Mystic takes the mental writing of the Ghost Bible to new levels in making the NT say whatever he wants it to say.

We already saw Bapfun and Jeffbase flatly deny what the Bible actually said about slavery. It's an interesting display of making the Dogma conform to what human morality has come to see as good and if the Bible says anything else, then they deny it and make up a 'Ghost Bible' in the head and quote from that.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Sorry. Somehow this duplicated. Maybe I can find something interesting to fill this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GScdUIYXglA

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-30-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Okay.
But here's my point -- you just made up your premise.
I find nothing particularly wrong with the premise. But you just made it up.
What you call "made up" is logical extrapolation from the nature of God as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus - God IS agape love - and from our status as children of God, NOT pets or slaves of God. While the mindsets of our primitive ancestors had the wrong context from which to derive the syllogisms from those basic premises, I am certain you are more than capable of it. So calling it "made up" is hardly appropriate, phet.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
What you call "made up" is logical extrapolation from the nature of God as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus - God IS agape love - and from our status as children of God, NOT pets or slaves of God. While the mindsets of our primitive ancestors had the wrong context from which to derive the syllogisms from those basic premises, I am certain you are more than capable of it. So calling it "made up" is hardly appropriate, phet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is indeed made up.
See above, Arq! What I find odd is that you go to great pains to deconstruct the Gospels and yet here you invoke them. Resorting to Gospels interpreted in a misguided context about the nature of God is, I suppose, more a consequence of a logical ineptitude than anything. You should have the logical ability to derinve the necessary syllogisms that produce my assertions showing that they are NOT "made up."

Old 09-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, it isn't in the gospel...is it?

Is there some large church out there that preaches this? Not that I'm aware of.

But again, where did Jesus say what you said?

So how is it not just made up?

Old 09-30-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well, it isn't in the gospel...is it?
Is there some large church out there that preaches this? Not that I'm aware of.

But again, where did Jesus say what you said?

So how is it not just made up?
Whether or not there is a church out there that preaches it is irrelevant. It is extrapolated logically FROM the Gospel.

1 John 4:7-8 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

The love used here is agape.

Luke 6:35
King James Version
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

1 John 4:4 (King James Version)
4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

"God IS agape love" and "we are children of God" are part of the Gospel. Logically extrapolate from there to my assertions and you can see it is NOT "made up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality