Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2020, 07:29 AM

64,008 posts, read 40,312,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
'I do not know' or 'maybe' is honest, but being allegedly confident in a world view by avoiding evidence that refutes your position not only shows doubt on your part, but tells us why you need to be dishonest with yourself.
Mirror, mirror on the wall who is seeing himself in others? Is being the reason we and everything else exist evidence for or against God?

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-01-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 AM

10,123 posts, read 6,494,654 times
Quote:
Eve. That pigeon had to die a slow and painful death because Eve led Adam astray.
How typical - blame it on the woman. Adam still had a choice.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Nicely stated. I have moved on from that phase of my life, the phase where I truly did believe that a god wanted me to grow and learn from my past, suddenly grateful for my upbringing. From a Christiain perspective, it was all a test from god and it made sense. Many things have changed since then. From a parent's perspective, my lost childhood, the loss of my mother's, and that of my grandmother's, could have been avoided.

I just no longer think there is some grand plan for me that I do not create for myself.
Forget about grand plans and just accept, as I do, that you are to BECOME a newborn Spirit upon your death with the characteristics of agape love for life, period. We are becoming, NOT believing. Our beliefs either help or hinder that becoming.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,640,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Mirror, mirror on the wall who is seeing himself in others? Is being the reason we and everything else exist evidence for or against God?
the other thing is that "I don't know" isn't proof. Its fine to say "I don't know" but then to go and deny everything that said no matter how valid when we clearly don't know is what exactly? Is it about talking through a topic? or is more like forcing a belief on others?

Yours is a good example. I don't agree with it. But the logic means we just stop at "I call it the universe and you call it god." and we move on.

they use "I don't know" then proceed to do everything in their power to get their view on what you said the only side being discussed.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Forget about grand plans and just accept, as I do, that you are to BECOME a newborn Spirit upon your death with the characteristics of agape love for life, period. We are becoming, NOT believing. Our beliefs either help or hinder that becoming.
and this is where we part ways. Good luck on the journey and I will see on the other side ... or not.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,042,163 times
Quote:
Mirror, mirror on the wall who is seeing himself in others?
Another claim without evidence, and that ignores the evidence against it. Your need to descend into childish ad hominems is hardly the act of someone who taught Bayes for decades.

Quote:
Is being the reason we and everything else exist evidence for or against God?
A meaningless question that makes "God" a mere label that explains nothing. What you need to do is provide evidence for the other traits of your god, such as just one example of a consciousness, intelligent being without a brain.

We are still waiting for this evidence.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
yup. out lawing science and not allowing all god options free reign in a religious/spatiality forum is exactly what we would expect in a theist forum.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the other thing is that "I don't know" isn't proof. Its fine to say "I don't know" but then to go and deny everything that said no matter how valid when we clearly don't know is what exactly? Is it about talking through a topic? or is more like forcing a belief on others?

Yours is a good example. I don't agree with it. But the logic means we just stop at "I call it the universe and you call it god." and we move on.
But the other atheists do NOT move on They assign all the existing evidence to something else and then demand evidence pretending that we MUST accept their belief about the unknown as the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
and this is where we part ways. Good luck on the journey and I will see on the other side ... or not.
I have always known and respected that you do not agree with my beliefs about God, Arach, but you are objective and have always separated my beliefs from the science. The others refuse to parse them. They conflate and jumble them so they can dismiss the science as woo and hokum.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:14 AM

51,077 posts, read 24,578,993 times
Quote:
During my morning walk with Mr Yap, my grandmothers dog, I came across a 20 Meter long trail of pigeon feathers. At the end of the trail was a circle of feathers, typical for a Sperber, a hawk that feeds on other birds. Once it has killed it's victim, it removes the feathers before eating. But the trail of feathers means that the pigeon was not immediately dead, and had struggled for 20 Meters to fly away while the Sperber removed feathers from the living victim.

I find the idea of an agape god described in religious texts hard to justify having seen that trail of feathers.
Exactly. Go for a walk here in Arizona and you're apt to see headless bird carcasses every once in a while. A pelt of a rabbit left behind by a coyote. Etc. Beautiful, isn't it?

Old 10-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Exactly. Go for a walk here in Arizona and you're apt to see headless bird carcasses every once in a while. A pelt of a rabbit left behind by a coyote. Etc. Beautiful, isn't it?
The "red in tooth and claw" aspect of our Reality was and remains the biggest thorn in my side since my encounter. Reconciling it with my experience has been largely unsuccessful and frustrating. Separating consciousness (which is the only venue in which such concerns can exist) is what lessens but does not eliminate the pain and frustration. If the goal is the phenomenon of consciousness characterized by agape love, such a venue is necessary. Realizing that we are actually fetal spiritual beings in a physical womb environment provides a different perspective on the import and workings of it all.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-01-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality