Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,715 times

Advertisements

It seems that we have come full circle once again and there is a wave of Catholic misunderstanding (read bashing) going on in the forum so I thought that I would start a thread on Catholicism. I am hoping that it will be kept to a quiet hush, that way maybe the mods will allow the discussion to continue. I also thought that if we had one specific thread, it would allow the discussion in the other threads to remain OT.

I will start by listing some websites for you to review before you begin your inquisition. That way we will all be on the same page. I will do my best to answer any "personal" questions that you may have. I am not an expert on all things Catholic and am willing to listen to those of you who are.

Welcome to Scripture Catholic - Providing Scriptural Evidence for the Teachings of the Catholic Faith

I found this an interesting read since this applies to some of the anti-Catholic posts that I have read as of late:
Biblical Evidence for Catholicism

Sola Dei Verbum - Catholic Apologetics

One of my personal favorite sites:
Fish Eaters: The Whys and Hows of Traditional Catholicism

Let me also make it clear that the only site that I have personally spent time in is fisheaters.com. I did skim over the other sites referenced above and they seemed like a good place to start.

I will not be back on until later tonight so that will give anyone who cares to start a discussion plenty of time to get the facts.

I should also say that I will not be baited into a hate-thread. I am just hoping that this will help shed some light on the truth.

And, finally, this is taken from one of the above referenced sites. I think that it puts everything in perspective...

Most of all, we hope to handle all the material we deal with here in a charitable and Christian way, realizing that the beginning to all solutions is love. Jesus Christ loved us all the way to death so that we can live, and ultimately all He asked in return is that we love as He did. The truth does matter; after all, Jesus Christ is truth incarnate. Sometimes, the defense and love of the truth can be divisive, or even harsh. Christ did, after all, say He came to bring a sword, turning man against father (Mat 10:34-35). Ultimately, however, His final prayer was for a unity of the children of God (Jhn 17:21), and this unity can be achieved only by following the two greatest commandents, to love God with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and to love our neighbors as ourselves (Mat 22:36-40). Thus, as we follow the instruction of St. Peter and defend the faith with humbleness and fear (1Pet 3:15-16), we will also do so with the love of Christ, seeking only to help souls follow Christ as well as His abundant grace will allow, and to love Him with all our hearts, minds, and souls.

Thank you and may the peace and love of Christ be reflected in us all...

<>< weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
And also with you.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
To shed light on the truth would be a refreshing change for the Catholic Church. The hope to shine a new light on them might be of interest to a lot of us. When should we start? Present day Africa, 1999 Serbian ethnic cleansing, Catholic involvement in Serbian Holocaust in 1944, aid to Nazi war criminals in 1944, connection with Hitler and the foundation of the Third Reich 1937, or should we go back to the reformation, the killing off of the Cathars, the church backed invasions of Denmark, Bavaria, and attempt on England. I hate to leave out the crusades, but I think the list will just get too long if I continue. On second thought maybe I don’t want to remember what the Catholic Church did for us.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
To shed light on the truth would be a refreshing change for the Catholic Church. The hope to shine a new light on them might be of interest to a lot of us. When should we start? Present day Africa, 1999 Serbian ethnic cleansing, Catholic involvement in Serbian Holocaust in 1944, aid to Nazi war criminals in 1944, connection with Hitler and the foundation of the Third Reich 1937, or should we go back to the reformation, the killing off of the Cathars, the church backed invasions of Denmark, Bavaria, and attempt on England. I hate to leave out the crusades, but I think the list will just get too long if I continue. On second thought maybe I don’t want to remember what the Catholic Church did for us.
You forgot the bit about nuns killing babies in the basement and the Vatican genetically engineering the anti-Christ. And the Inquisition! No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Seriously though, I'll be honest: A lot of that stuff I'm just not familiar with. Serbian history isn't exactly my strong point.

But if you'd seriously like to address any of that, pick one. If you're just throwing the usual bombs of prejudice... well, peace be with you.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 PM

951 posts, read 1,656,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
.....wave of Catholic misunderstanding going on in the forum so I thought that I would start a thread on Catholicism.
Just curious, what is it that you want to talk about or learn from this thread? I read through some of the links, but are unsure of what you're driving at. Not really sure what you are expecting from this. But, like you, I hope it remains civil.

One point I'd like to make is that I don't care for the term "apologetics". To me it's somewhat demeaning. The dictionary says to be apologetic is to offer or expressing an apology or excuse. Apologetics is the branch of theology concerned with the defense or proof of Christianity. The link between offering an excuse or to "apologize" for my faith just doesn't sit well for me. It seems that Catholics use the term "apologetics" more than other faiths; I've never seen it mentioned under any other denomination. I realize it's intended to help defend our beliefs, but it's seems like a poor choice for a word. Just my opinion.

Now, full disclosure: I was raised Catholic, went to parochial school, my grandmother was a Franciscan, and my mother is a Carmelite. I am the only one in my family (of six) that doesn't go to a Catholic church. I married an Episcopalian and I play in two worship bands currently in two different Baptist churches. My wife teaches Sunday school and my two kids were baptized Episcopalians. After the end of this school session in June, we are leaving the Episcopal church and looking elsewhere (not Catholic). Just for the sake of letting you know where I stand before we move on.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And the Inquisition! No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Oh no! What ever you do, don't mention Spam! (a little Python insider joke!)

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
It seems that we have come full circle once again and there is a wave of Catholic misunderstanding (read bashing) going on in the forum so I thought that I would start a thread on Catholicism. I am hoping that it will be kept to a quiet hush, that way maybe the mods will allow the discussion to continue. I also thought that if we had one specific thread, it would allow the discussion in the other threads to remain OT.

I will start by listing some websites for you to review before you begin your inquisition. That way we will all be on the same page. I will do my best to answer any "personal" questions that you may have. I am not an expert on all things Catholic and am willing to listen to those of you who are.

Welcome to Scripture Catholic - Providing Scriptural Evidence for the Teachings of the Catholic Faith

I found this an interesting read since this applies to some of the anti-Catholic posts that I have read as of late:
Biblical Evidence for Catholicism

Sola Dei Verbum - Catholic Apologetics

One of my personal favorite sites:
Fish Eaters: The Whys and Hows of Traditional Catholicism

Let me also make it clear that the only site that I have personally spent time in is fisheaters.com. I did skim over the other sites referenced above and they seemed like a good place to start.

I will not be back on until later tonight so that will give anyone who cares to start a discussion plenty of time to get the facts.

I should also say that I will not be baited into a hate-thread. I am just hoping that this will help shed some light on the truth.

And, finally, this is taken from one of the above referenced sites. I think that it puts everything in perspective...

Most of all, we hope to handle all the material we deal with here in a charitable and Christian way, realizing that the beginning to all solutions is love. Jesus Christ loved us all the way to death so that we can live, and ultimately all He asked in return is that we love as He did. The truth does matter; after all, Jesus Christ is truth incarnate. Sometimes, the defense and love of the truth can be divisive, or even harsh. Christ did, after all, say He came to bring a sword, turning man against father (Mat 10:34-35). Ultimately, however, His final prayer was for a unity of the children of God (Jhn 17:21), and this unity can be achieved only by following the two greatest commandents, to love God with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and to love our neighbors as ourselves (Mat 22:36-40). Thus, as we follow the instruction of St. Peter and defend the faith with humbleness and fear (1Pet 3:15-16), we will also do so with the love of Christ, seeking only to help souls follow Christ as well as His abundant grace will allow, and to love Him with all our hearts, minds, and souls.

Thank you and may the peace and love of Christ be reflected in us all...

<>< weather...

Time to gird up the loins

Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Just curious, what is it that you want to talk about or learn from this thread? I read through some of the links, but are unsure of what you're driving at. Not really sure what you are expecting from this. But, like you, I hope it remains civil..
I am merely hoping to open a dialogue with other forumer who believe that the Pope is the spawn of Satan. That may sound a little harsh and I will probably be sent to the corner for it, but for whatever reason, the Catholic Church is "hated" by many. Some who lurk in the corners of this very forum.

Perhaps you have not taken note of the threads that caused me to start this one. For your reference I am posting them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...lick-here.html

Is the Church the final authority, or the Word of God? (This is actually a link taken from a thread that I started //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...455-bible.html.)

I only want to open the door to honest, civil discussion and stop the anti-Catholic hate mongering that is taking over other thread that have nothing to do with Catholicism.

Quote:
The point I'd like to make is that I don't care for the term "apologetics". To me it's somewhat demeaning. The dictionary says to be apologetic is to offer or expressing an apology or excuse. Apologetics is the branch of theology concerned with the defense or proof of Christianity. The link between offering an excuse or to "apologize" for my faith just doesn't sit well for me. It seems that Catholics use the term "apologetics" more than other faiths; I've never seen it mentioned under any other denomination. I realize it's intended to help defend our beliefs, but it's seems like a poor choice for a word. Just my opinion..
I agree with you about the word "apologetics", but it is not only used in the
Catholic Church. I would also like to make it clear that I am not in any way apologizing for my faith. I am just hoping to helps others form a clearer understanding.

I did a google search of apologetics just for my own knowledge. These are just a few of the sites found.

CARM Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

Apologetics.com: Challenging Believers to Think and Thinkers to Believe (broken link)

http://www.4truth.net/

(Not Catholic sites)

Quote:
Now, full disclosure: I was raised Catholic, went to parochial school, my grandmother was a Franciscan, and my mother is a Carmelite. I am the only one in my family (of six) that doesn't go to a Catholic church. I married an Episcopalian and I play in two worship bands currently in two different Baptist churches. My wife teaches Sunday school and my two kids were baptized Episcopalians. After the end of this school session in June, we are leaving the Episcopal church and looking elsewhere (not Catholic). Just for the sake of letting you know where I stand before we move on.
Most Episcopalians that I have met compare themselves to the Catholics with the phrase, "Oh, it's just like Catholicism. Just without all the guilt." Never really understood it. It's just what they say.

Full disclosure: I think I'm PMS'ing.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Quote:
Full disclosure: I think I'm PMS'ing.
Thanks weather.. now people at work are looking at me wondering why I laughed out loud..

Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you have not taken note of the threads that caused me to start this one. For your reference I am posting them.
I only want to open the door to honest, civil discussion and stop the anti-Catholic hate mongering that is taking over other thread that have nothing to do with Catholicism.
Ah...I had not. I'm sort of new to this area of C-D. I usually don't get into some of the other inane discussions going on in here. Thanks for the links. I stay away from the God-hating, Christian-bashing, etc. I would love to have normal discussions about God, but it always gets sidetracked by some atheist nut or other and it spirals into madness.

Quote:
Most Episcopalians that I have met compare themselves to the Catholics with the phrase, "Oh, it's just like Catholicism. Just without all the guilt." Never really understood it. It's just what they say.
"All the God without the guilt" as a friend would say. Basically because of it's non-confessional nature. They don't have to do acts of contrition! Or the "Frozen Chosen" (similar to Protestant).

I've never concidered myself to be Episcopal, but my wife and her family were, so it was an easy fit for me coming from Catholicism; nearly an identical eucharistic service. Certainly a different group from Catholics, as the Episcopal Church of America has been infused by liberals that have broken down the true meaning of the Bible and have created their own agenda. But recent events have us looking to worship elsewhere. That's why we are leaving.

Thanks for letting me be a part of the discussion. I don't want to side track the thread by talking about Episcopalians. Just was curious as to what you were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality