Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 05:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
With any dieting protocol there are those followers of a certain diet that will proclaim that it worked so well for them that their diet is the best diet in existence and that everyone should be on this diet because it is SUPERIOR to all the other diets without providing evidences of such claims/beliefs. Yet we know there is no one best diet because we have the evidence that shows there isn't one best way to lose weight.

Same thing with religion, you have those followers who say that religion has worked so well for them in their lives that everyone should follow that same religion or just follow religion in general based on their beliefs. Yet, we have multitudes of evidence to show that you do not need any religion in your life to be successful, happy, part of a community, moral, have a purpose in life, identity. etc etc.

Now I'm not saying that religion doesn't have it's place in our world and society. I acknowledge that there are many good things that can come from being religious. My claim is that anything that you claim you gain from religion can be had without being religious.

Can anyone making one convincing argument why you NEED religion in your life?

As George Carlin quotes: “Religion is like a pair of shoes.....Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.”
What if it's not about "working"? What if it's irrelevant whether or not one is happy, or has a purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 05:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What if it's not about "working"? What if it's irrelevant whether or not one is happy, or has a purpose?
I think thats the point.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think thats the point.
I don't believe it is. His point seemed to be that we should "find the one for us" and go with it. But truth doesn't care about your feelings or your comfort. Either it's true, or it's not.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
I don't believe it is. His point seemed to be that we should "find the one for us" and go with it. But truth doesn't care about your feelings or your comfort. Either it's true, or it's not.
The problem is you are 1/2 true.

faith isn't interested in truth. The scientific method is interested in finding the best truth we can. The scientific method actually is in place to help with/allow for self correction over time. Faith avoids that.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:29 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Absolutely. They're both unbalanced and extreme. Each side might think themselves the opposite of the other, but they're actually in the same boat. Their extremism has blinded them to that. They're like blind men with loaded guns firing indiscriminately.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:14 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I agree.

Only one thing I can think of. Christianity hold to an even better life and give Christian something to look forward to.

Christianity could hold a better life for that specific person but I'm not convinced that everyone would instantly have a better life because of Christianity. I'd also like to know what is meant by "better life"

Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still when you have the Holy Spirit of God through Jesus the burden is light, as Jesus said ..... Where the burden of dieting would be hard, through the power of Christ believers need to pray and kick the groin demons out of their bodies, and they can lose the weight faster, as these groin demons can pack in the pounds on people which believer who have discernment of spirits through Holy Spirit would see ..... But believers need to pray without ceasing, which would be hard for some people
Why do you need to go through Jesus when we already have direct access to God?

Old 10-08-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
The truth is what you believe is true. If you believe that religion is the truth and the best way to live than so be it but don't be going around saying that living a religious life is significantly better for everyone else than living a non religious life because this is simply not true.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The problem is you are 1/2 true.

faith isn't interested in truth. The scientific method is interested in finding the best truth we can. The scientific method actually is in place to help with/allow for self correction over time. Faith avoids that.
Of course it is. If I thought my religion wasn't true I wouldn't believe in it.

As for the scientific method? Science tells us we can't get something from nothing. Until we begin to talk about the beginnings of life and the universe. Then all bets are off.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The truth is what you believe is true. If you believe that religion is the truth and the best way to live than so be it but don't be going around saying that living a religious life is significantly better for everyone else than living a non religious life because this is simply not true.
....says the guy who thinks what he believes to be true. And is now going around telling us what to believe and how to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality