Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Which Jesus? There are different, contradictory versions in the NT. Naturally I do not expect you to know this as you probably do not have a deep enough knowledge of the NT, it's history or the language it was originally written in.
I dont have an exhaustive knowledge of either OT or Nt, but those words are in the bible. They are eternal and they ring true to every believer. Jesus likely said it in Aramic, he didnt speak English. Do you read Aramic?
You are an atheist and you seem to have deep knowledge of the text. Have fun on you religious tourism through Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 07:43 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am sure you understand that I don't answer to them. I list personality types as listed by people in the people business. Coaches act like coaches. They are very similar phet.

I can see a Buddhist saying that "no way are we like them". I can see a Buddhist having to say that also. I can see a Buddhist that that stormed out of Christianity saying that like its a fact also.
It isn't me who says it.

Try: A Basic Buddhism Guide: Buddhism and the God-idea

There are thousands more such references if you Google it.

And by the way, we don't have to say anything.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont have an exhaustive knowledge of either OT or Nt, but those words are in the bible. They are eternal and they ring true to every believer. Jesus likely said it in Aramic, he didnt speak English. Do you read Aramic?
You are an atheist and you seem to have deep knowledge of the text. Have fun on you religious tourism through Christianity.
Notice that the things that Jesus "said" in Aramaic were recorded by others decades after Jesus was supposed to have been executed. Did the authors of the Gospels even personally know Jesus? In FACT all four gospels were written ANONYMOUSLY forty years or more after Jesus was supposed to have been executed. Very little is actually known about the authors of the Gospels, but there is no actual reason to suppose that the authors of the Gospels ever even met Jesus. Also notice that Jesus wrote nothing himself. So when you assert that Jesus "said" this or that, you are really only quoting what some unknown person said that Jesus said, years after Jesus died. The Gospels serve to record the STORIES that were in circulation during the end of the first century.

Now ask yourself the question, "do such uncorroborated second-hand stories really serve to make the claim that a fully dead corpse returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky?" And if you are being honest you may notice that such claims only become inescapably true if one has necessarily first been indoctrinated their entire life into accepting such apparently absurd claims as inescapably true and above questioning. But you see, not everyone is inclined to be so childlike in their gullibility.

Because as Christians so often assert, "the Bible is believable, if one accepts it as true." Well... um... D'UH! Because you see, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the flying spaghetti monster are also believable if one first accepts them as true. Not everyone chooses to remain quite THAT childlike in their gullibility, I am afraid.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:29 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Notice that the things that Jesus "said" in Aramaic were recorded by others decades after Jesus was supposed to have been executed. Did the authors of the Gospels even personally know Jesus? In FACT all four gospels were written ANONYMOUSLY forty years or more after Jesus was supposed to have been executed. Very little is actually known about the authors of the Gospels, but there is no actual reason to suppose that the authors of the Gospels ever even met Jesus. Also notice that Jesus wrote nothing himself. So when you assert that Jesus "said" this or that, you are really only quoting what some unknown person said that Jesus said, years after Jesus died. The Gospels serve to record the STORIES that were in circulation during the end of the first century.

Now ask yourself the question, "do such uncorroborated second-hand stories really serve to make the claim that a fully dead corpse returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky?" And if you are being honest you may notice that such claims only become inescapably true if one has necessarily first been indoctrinated their entire life into accepting such apparently absurd claims as inescapably true and above questioning. But you see, not everyone is inclined to be so childlike in their gullibility.

Because as Christians so often assert, "the Bible is believable, if one accepts it as true." Well... um... D'UH! Because you see, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the flying spaghetti monster are also believable if one first accepts them as true. Not everyone chooses to remain quite THAT childlike in their gullibility, I am afraid.
I am impressed with your deep analysis of Christianity and thanks for confirming that atheists religious tourism results in damning the adherents of the religion rather any kind of understanding of humanity. Believers know how to distill the truth from a lot of fluff. You seem to thrive in the fluff. Happy journey.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:21 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agreed in principle, obviously, but thinking one is scoring message board points by sneering at another's mention of their meditation practice and telling them to meditate on some obscure point of a completely different religion from their own just sounded kinda stupid to me. You may not have thought so. We all have our opinions. Shrug.
True.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
I am impressed with your deep analysis of Christianity and thanks for confirming that atheists religious tourism results in damning the adherents of the religion rather any kind of understanding of humanity. Believers know how to distill the truth from a lot of fluff. You seem to thrive in the fluff. Happy journey.
"First of all, the Bible is clear only if you are a believer." - Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter is one of your fellow Christians.

"Believers know how to distill the truth from a lot of fluff." - cb2008

These assertions are basically saying, "We know what's true, so don't bother trying to convince and confuse us with facts." And this is indoctrination in action. Indoctrination represents the polar opposite of free thought.

Wikipedia
Free Thought
Free thought (sometimes spelled freethought) is an epistemological viewpoint which holds that beliefs should not be formed on the basis of authority, tradition, revelation, or dogma, and that beliefs should instead be reached by other methods such as logic, reason, and empirical observation. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a freethinker is "a person who forms their own ideas and opinions rather than accepting those of other people, especially in religious teaching."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_thought

Now ask yourself this question, "Why do people of other religious faiths believe that THEIR religious beliefs are undeniably the real true beliefs?" And the overwhelming answer is, "because their mommies said so!" In other words, they were indoctrinated into their belief system as children.

I began my religious "tour" through Christianity long before you were born, btw. And I was indoctrinated into Christianity just as you were. But, as sometimes happens with some people, I had thoughts of my own.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Very few here are capable of bringing that perspective to it, CB.
That all things lead to God? That all religions are about the same thing?

As often as we hear this sort of thing, I'm not sure the perspective is anything but quite commonplace, here and everywhere else. The exception seems to be those who are not quite so convinced...

Old 11-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
First thing you should do is get familiar with the ignore function. Saves a lot of heartburn.
Secondly stop focusing on your ego and focus on the text.
I dont see it as replying to YOU but replying to a post, particularly if it referred to me.
I've never used the ignore function, and I doubt I ever will. Seems awfully childish to me...

I prefer to comment as I wish, when I wish, with whomever I wish, or not at all. Don't experience any heartburn either. I'm perfectly okay with all the different perspectives and the comments the different perspectives bring, especially when some substance is included. It's those who just bellyache (about others; motives, style, interests) that I can't help but call out when it persists beyond a certain point...

Old 11-20-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, he is right phet. My guess is that jesus would be disgusted with what they did to him.
He is right that all religions are basically about the same thing when Buddhists don't believe in God? Not very different from other religions? How does what happened to Jesus or how Jesus would feel have anything to do with what's right or wrong about all religions being about the same thing? Confused. To say the least...

Sure makes one more seriously consider the question posed in the topic of this thread!

Last edited by LearnMe; 11-20-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
[/b]
You may have missed Arach's point, Phet. Jesus did not claim to BE God but to have the agape love of God (the mind of God). Buddha claimed to seek Maitri which is identical.
Identical?

Lots of liberty being taken here I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality