Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM

51,032 posts, read 24,528,151 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about how much people on the site -- regardless of what their own belief system is -- really know about religions other than their own (and here I am treating christianity as one religion).

What efforts have you made to learn about any other religions?
Did you spend any significant time learning about them?
How did you learn about them?
Have you visited other religious places?

A key point here is the word "significant".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 11:59 AM

11,170 posts, read 7,230,977 times
Good question. I don't know if I'd call them "religions", but I've read and thought a bit about: Native American spirituality, Taoism, Zen and 'standard' Buddhism, and other philosophies that tie into how we see humanity, spirituality, and the universe (i.e. Gurdjieff, Sufi thought, Bushido, etc.) It's not a negation or battle - something coming along and wiping out something else - it's about additions that work well together. Also, an east-west balance is healthy and beneficial. Even Jesus was very close to the east, and reflected that part of the world.

Religion though tends to be in the business of scaring people from freely exploring what all is out there, as a repelling force. If something has truth in it, than what keeps one from it will be essentially "evil" or counterproductive. Many clutch to their beliefs, and don't look elsewhere (even fearing to look elsewhere), as though their beliefs aren't strong enough to stand up / hold up to the seeing from a wider angle.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-29-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Good question. I don't know if I'd call them "religions", but I've read and thought a bit about: Native American spirituality, Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Unitarian Christianity, and other philosophies that tie into how we see humanity, spirituality, and the universe (i.e. Gurdjieff, Sufi thought, etc.)

Religion though seems to be in the business of scaring people from freely reaching out and exploring what all is out there, as a repelling force. If something has truth in it, than what keeps one from it will be essentially "evil", or dysfunctional / counterproductive. Many clutch to their beliefs, and don't look elsewhere, as though their beliefs aren't strong enough to stand up to seeing from a wider angle.
First, thank you for responding. Good to see someone who has reached out for understanding. Not all do.

Yes, I do think that some religions almost make their belief-systems a mental prison. I'm a cherry picker because I think wisdom is where you find it.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:34 PM

88,772 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm curious about how much people on the site -- regardless of what their own belief system is -- really know about religions other than their own (and here I am treating christianity as one religion).

Was always interested in not just religions, but other groups of people and cultures different from my own. Working in the WTC with people from every religion you could think of gave me the opportunity to have discussions about with adherents of different religions, which sometimes would lead to my looking things up, especially when the Internet came along.

My education ranged from cursory (for example, I know some things about Hinduism and Jainism and Sikhism, but nothing really in-depth beyond whatever nuggets coworkers told me) to more involved conversations about religions such as Judaism, which has a significant presence both in where I lived and where I worked.

I've worked for two companies owned by Hasidic Jews and Muslims, respectively, in the past couple of years, and I learned more by knowing people of those faiths than any book or Internet site could teach. In both I found people of good will and compassionate hearts whose faiths contributed toward their desire to be the best people they could be.

I haven't visited the houses of worship of other religions, though, no. The Jewish weddings I've attended were usually held in facilities that served as a venue for both the religious part of the ceremony and the reception afterward and were built for that purpose.

I know very little about Buddhism beyond the ubiquitous grinning fat statues in Asian fusion restaurants. Most of the adherents I ever knew seemed to take it on temporarily in a sort of pop-culture way, and their enthusiasm faded after a time. I don't know that I know any seriously practicing Buddhists. Perhaps I do but they just don't talk about it. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not always considered a religion, but I thought I'd add that.

Also have long known practitioners of different Pagan types of paths. Not a religion per se, though.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Was always interested in not just religions, but other groups of people and cultures different from my own. Working in the WTC with people from every religion you could think of gave me the opportunity to have discussions about with adherents of different religions, which sometimes would lead to my looking things up, especially when the Internet came along.

My education ranged from cursory (for example, I know some things about Hinduism and Jainism and Sikhism, but nothing really in-depth beyond whatever nuggets coworkers told me) to more involved conversations about religions such as Judaism, which has a significant presence both in where I lived and where I worked.

I've worked for two companies owned by Hasidic Jews and Muslims, respectively, in the past couple of years, and I learned more by knowing people of those faiths than any book or Internet site could teach. In both I found people of good will and compassionate hearts whose faiths contributed toward their desire to be the best people they could be.

I haven't visited the houses of worship of other religions, though, no. The Jewish weddings I've attended were usually held in facilities that served as a venue for both the religious part of the ceremony and the reception afterward and were built for that purpose.

I know very little about Buddhism beyond the ubiquitous grinning fat statues in Asian fusion restaurants. Most of the adherents I ever knew seemed to take it on temporarily in a sort of pop-culture way, and their enthusiasm faded after a time. I don't know that I know any seriously practicing Buddhists. Perhaps I do but they just don't talk about it. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not always considered a religion, but I thought I'd add that.

Also have long known practitioners of different Pagan types of paths. Not a religion per se, though.
I should tell you about my Sikh experience. When I was having one of my long summers in Thailand, I would regularly read the education want ads in the two English language newspapers in Bangkok. One day the Bangkok Post had an ad wanting an American educator to be the director (principal) of "an international school", but they didn't tell what school it was, just that you should call the Bangkok Post to request an interview. I called, and even then the newspaper would give out zero information about the school, but they did set up an interview for me at one of the large hotels. When I walked into the interview -- it was Sikhs -- the BOE for the Sikh International School. They wanted to hire me "on the spot" without any credentials (not something I usually carried with me to Thailand). But the salary was almost poverty wages. I turned them down, and they offered an "extra hundred American dollars", but it was just nothing that would be acceptable in terms of salary, and no benefits whatsoever.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
I skimmed a bunch a while back. They aren't complicated.

Adhering to them to improve oneself ... thats a whole 'nother story.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:21 PM

16,109 posts, read 7,107,525 times
Quote:
I should tell you about my Sikh experience. When I was having one of my long summers in Thailand, I would regularly read the education want ads in the two English language newspapers in Bangkok. One day the Bangkok Post had an ad wanting an American educator to be the director (principal) of "an international school", but they didn't tell what school it was, just that you should call the Bangkok Post to request an interview. I called, and even then the newspaper would give out zero information about the school, but they did set up an interview for me at one of the large hotels. When I walked into the interview -- it was Sikhs -- the BOE for the Sikh International School. They wanted to hire me "on the spot" without any credentials (not something I usually carried with me to Thailand). But the salary was almost poverty wages. I turned them down, and they offered an "extra hundred American dollars", but it was just nothing that would be acceptable in terms of salary, and no benefits whatsoever.
So. What did this teach you about Sikhism? I was expecting some grand revelation. What part of this makes it a “Sikh Experience.” ?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:28 PM

16,109 posts, read 7,107,525 times
Quote:

Other people’s religions are sacred, meaningful , and important for them. It is not meant for some jolly explorations and then return with some half understood misimpressions and then expound on it. Better go for a safari in Africa and learn what beauty is. Leave other people’s religion alone.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So. What did this teach you about Sikhism? I was expecting some grand revelation. What part of this makes it a “Sikh Experience.” ?
No grand revelation. They were very friendly, but unrealistic regarding salary. The reason they needed an American was that it is apparently Thai law that an international school must have two directors -- one foreign is desired, but the other must be a Thai national. That particular Sikh neighborhood (for wont of a better term was what we might call blue collar). Seemed like nice people.

I don't think I indicated there was going to be a great revelation...just an experience.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Other people’s religions are sacred, meaningful , and important for them. It is not meant for some jolly explorations and then return with some half understood misimpressions and then expound on it. Better go for a safari in Africa and learn what beauty is. Leave other people’s religion alone.
I think you're just trying to pick an argument.

Jolly explorations?
Expounding on it?

If people are going to get along in this world, they has to be some common level of cultural understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality