Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 01:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. It's why we cannot reach common ground.

There are many christians who think faith is enough evidence.
There are many of us (including me) who think that faith alone is no evidence.
correct ...

faith based statements of belief about god are unreliable. Be them deny every thing that one thinks looks religious for faith in activism or deity too.

there are too many of us that think activism is so important that we are only here to stand with in atheism vs theism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 01:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is an easy concept but one that so often gets missed. Believing whatever one is told is not being open -minded. Being willing to accept different ideas when backed up with sound and valid evidence, is being open - minded.

That of course is why we get discussions about what constitutes valid evidence, denial of (or attempts to rewrite) science, and closing of threads.
yeah, I totally agree. And when that sound and valid evidence is presented for belief its instantly deemed not meaningful and avoided or locked in the closet so the faith based belief can stand a real chance.

absolutely astounding.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:36 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
It is an easy concept but one that so often gets missed. Believing whatever one is told is not being open -minded. Being willing to accept different ideas when backed up with sound and valid evidence, is being open - minded.

That of course is why we get discussions about what constitutes valid evidence, denial of (or attempts to rewrite) science, and closing of threads.
The inability or unwillingness to know or recognize what is sound and valid evidence is primarily why we get discussions from atheists that deny valid evidence because the extrapolations from them belie their fundamental premise about our Reality. That is why the religion of panentheism and the like are restricted to a single thread. It demolishes the majority of atheist argumentation against the existence of God and requires them to justify the unjustifiable - excluding existing evidence as evidence of God. If not for Arach, or Gldn, and many others here, my faith in the power of intellect regarding these issues would be severely damaged.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:34 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't speak for the one you're addressing, but I am going to call you on the obvious dodge from the truth of the problem.

It's not the "beliefs" that many people, including non-fundamentalist Christians, have with fundamentalists.

It's how they use those beliefs, or hide behind those beliefs, to control and harm others or to allow others to be harmed using their Bible quotes as justification.

Believe away whatever you want all you want, but when your belief encroaches upon our families and our society, your belief has stepped over the line. That you become angered and indignant and vengeful and use scripture as an excuse when those upon whom you encroached resist those actions makes it even worse.
Please provide clear examples of me "controlling and harming others" and "encroaching upon families and our society".

If you can't, all this is just rhetoric and a pretense to justify disrespectful venting of emotions, towards strangers on the internet who have a different belief system than you do. These 'targets' of misplaced disdain are merely symbolic representations of those who are actually responsible for the supposed "harm" and "encroaching upon our families and society" you say you're pushing back against.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:42 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:

Are you only willing to genuinely consider evidence that meets your own personal criteria?

Old 01-04-2021, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 1,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If you were to wait until you had some kind of "scientific" proof of God before you believed, then it would a curse rather than a blessing.
We are miracles, created from nothing, the void.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:53 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Please provide clear examples of me "controlling and harming others" and "encroaching upon families and our society".

If you can't, all this is just rhetoric and a pretense to justify disrespectful venting of emotions, towards strangers on the internet who have a different belief system than you do. These 'targets' of misplaced disdain are merely symbolic representations of those who are actually responsible for the supposed "harm" and "encroaching upon our families and society" you say you're pushing back against.
Before you posts things like this, I would suggest you go back to your first couple of months here and look at your own posts.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:24 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, I totally agree. And when that sound and valid evidence is presented for belief its instantly deemed not meaningful and avoided or locked in the closet so the faith based belief can stand a real chance.

absolutely astounding.
Agreed. It is beyond astounding to utter amazement and incredulity at the existence of such minds.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The inability or unwillingness to know or recognize what is sound and valid evidence is primarily why we get discussions from atheists that deny valid evidence because the extrapolations from them belie their fundamental premise about our Reality. That is why the religion of panentheism and the like are restricted to a single thread. It demolishes the majority of atheist argumentation against the existence of God and requires them to justify the unjustifiable - excluding existing evidence as evidence of God. If not for Arach, or Gldn, and many others here, my faith in the power of intellect regarding these issues would be severely damaged.
I was Atheist...your tutelage helped me find God.
Arach was and is Atheist...he presents the best basis for evidence, "Comports With Observations of How The Universe Works".
You both assess things & form your Beliefs with a proper and reasonable perspective.
Many do not hold a proper perspective...they are too consumed by what they think they know...added to not knowing what they don't know. A double whammy.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:34 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I was Atheist...your tutelage helped me find God.
Arach was and is Atheist...he presents the best basis for evidence, "Comports With Observations of How The Universe Works".
You both assess things & form your Beliefs with a proper and reasonable perspective.
Many do not hold a proper perspective...they are too consumed by what they think they know...added to not knowing what they don't know. A double whammy.
You're such a good disciple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality