Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2021, 09:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you are confusing and conflating "personality" with soul.
they are not the same.

you are confusing and conflating the conscious thinking or "intellect" with soul.
they are not the same.

the part of a person that consciously thinks (their intellect) and the part of a person that is their "personality" or character traits, those are NOT the soul.
thus sayeth the self-professed sage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 10:13 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
thus sayeth the self-professed sage...
And always stated as facts

Old 02-08-2021, 08:19 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And always stated as facts
But of course.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:25 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
By "yours" , I meant the one you provided in the post you referenced, when you specifically asked why the one "I" ( you) provided didn't suffice.

As far as dictionary definitions, there are many such ones.This one is from Psychology Today

Spirituality means different things to different people. For some, it's primarily about a belief in God and active participation in organized religion. For others, it's about non-religious experiences that help them get in touch with their spiritual selves through quiet reflection, time in nature, private prayer, yoga, or meditation.

Here is the Wiki one

The meaning of spirituality has developed and expanded over time, and various connotations can be found alongside each other.[1][2][3][note 1] Traditionally, spirituality referred to a religious process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man",[note 2] oriented at "the image of God"[4][5] as exemplified by the founders and sacred texts of the religions of the world. The term was used within early Christianity to refer to a life oriented toward the Holy Spirit[6] and broadened during the Late Middle Ages to include mental aspects of life.[7] In modern times, the term both spread to other religious traditions[8] and broadened to refer to a wider range of experience, including a range of esoteric traditions and religious traditions. Modern usages tend to refer to a subjective experience of a sacred dimension[9] and the "deepest values and meanings by which people live",[10][11] often in a context separate from organized religious institutions,[12] such as a belief in a supernatural (beyond the known and observable) realm,[13] personal growth,[14] a quest for an ultimate or sacred meaning,[15] religious experience,[16] or an encounter with one's own "inner dimension".[17]

Here is Merriam Webster

Definition of spirituality
1: something that in ecclesiastical law belongs to the church or to a cleric as such
2: CLERGY
3: sensitivity or attachment to religious values
4: the quality or state of being spiritual

Here is the Dictionary.com one

adjective
of, relating to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
of or relating to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature:
a spiritual approach to life.
closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.:
the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics.
of or relating to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic.
SEE MORE
noun
a spiritual or religious song:
authentic folk spirituals.
spirituals, affairs of the church.

Here is Free Dictionary

spiritual
concerned with sacred or religious things; refined; sensitive: She is a spiritual woman.
Not to be confused with:
spirituous – distilled, as whiskey; containing much alcohol: a spirituous concoction
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
spir·i·tu·al (spĭr′ĭ-cho͞o-əl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural: spiritual power.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul: spiritual guidance; spiritual growth.
3. Not concerned with material or worldly things: led a spiritual life.
4. Of or belonging to a religion; sacred: spiritual practices; spiritual music.
n.
a. A religious folk song of African-American origin.
b. A work composed in imitation of such a song.
2. often spirituals Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters.

I personally don't see that my definition falls outside of any of these . Nor do I see any of these supporting the cute kitten or good cup of coffee moment as being a spiritual one by most definitions. However, it is not for me and not my intention to deny others the right to look at pics of kittens hanging from a bar while drinking their morning coffee and feeling they are engaging in a spiritual practice or having a spiritual moment
Thanks for the effort, but I was trying to keep it simple by using the first rather simple, basic, definition...

I had found many of these alternative definitions as well, before choosing the one I did. If referring to all of these definitions, then no doubt anyone can consider themselves spiritual, whether they believe in God, are concerned with the human spirit and/or soul, or not. Agreed that what I've experienced closer to what these definitions are referring to involve a bit more than just a good morning cup of coffee or looking at kittens, but it's possible when one considers how even a simple experience can feel like something a bit more special. More simply put it's about a feeling I think. A special feeling. Call it what you will.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have to agree. Mystic is being clumsily crafty. When you punch someone in the nose the act is the intention. the Act of sitting in meditation bespeaks the intention of becoming aware of something 'spiritual'. Mystic knows very well that he was going for Something just as I do when I do it. But he also knows that it might lead some to suspect that he was sitting with an Intention in mind which points Question at his claim that revelation came out of the Blue and it was more that he already knew (perhaps unconsciously) what he wanted to have confirmed.

And that he is so cagey about it suggests that the suspicion has occurred to him, too.

Mystic is being crafty again. We all know what the supernatural means, just as we know what 'religion' means and 'love' means even though the terms can be broadly applied and are elusive when you try to pin them down. The dictionary definitions help to explain human usage but don't always help to tell us what these things are - they are human concepts after all and only theists fall into the trap of thinking that the Dictionary is an Authority that dictates to us what things are.

The supernatural is the term applied to things claimed to be real or at least probable that are beyond human understanding. Once they are validated, explained and published in a peer review journal, they become science not supernatural. Mystic is right there but cheats in implying that this makes 'supernatural' faith -claims science right now.

The 'supernatural' impinges on things of the 'spirit' because in its' wider sense it deals with things we don't understand, or not properly. I have mentioned before that the 'spiritual stuff is outside the purview of science. It suited those who use the 'spiritual' as a 'gap for God' to make sure it stayed that way. But (really since DNA) the whole formally mysterious realm of 'instinct' has become the object of science. The Spiritual in terms of humans , just likt Woo in terms of the universe, will become denied as gaps for God or any supernaturalist substitutes get closed.
Not sure I agree or if it matters but for what it's worth, I'm inclined to dumb it down a bit again...

su·per·nat·u·ral

(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
"a supernatural being"
Similar:
paranormal
psychic
magic
magical
occult
mystic
mystical
miraculous
superhuman
supernormal
hypernormal
extramundane
inexplicable
uncanny
unaccountable
unbelievable
nonrational
weird
mysterious
arcane
ghostly
phantom
spectral
otherworldly
unearthly
unnatural
unreal
fabulous
spooky
Opposite:
natural
normal
noun
manifestations or events considered to be of supernatural origin, such as ghosts.

The above describes something a little different than the definition of supernatural you describe. Something we don't understand today that later science is able to help us understand is not something that was or is supernatural. At least I'm not inclined to call something supernatural any more than I'm inclined to describe myself as spiritual. Those who are more inclined that way generally believe in things I don't, like ghosts for example. But that's just me of course...

PS: You and Mystic really ought to get a room!

Old 02-08-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Whatever you like Tzaph and make sure you stay safe really, because My posts speak openly and without bamboozle and people can agree or not. People trying to imply craftiness or some sinister method or agenda on my part will only hurt their own cred.
When people use phrases like "whatever you like"
"stay safe"
"my posts speak openly and without bamboozle"
"will only hurt their own cred"
my observation is others don't give any cred(ibility) when phrases like those are used

Old 02-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This reveals a lack of understanding of what a spiritual experience IS. If you do NOT experience it spiritually, it is NOT spiritual no matter how long you were trying or what you intended. If you experience it spiritually, it IS a spiritual experience irrespective of your efforts or intentions.
Hard to argue this, and why whatever definition we choose to use needs to be clarified...

Old 02-08-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I know. I do not deny yur experience and never have. I ony question your interpretation.

And I'm going to risk posting something that is a bit of a spiritual experence for me through music.

And who does it better than Bruckner? The 'heart' of the 7th and the one and only time he uses a cymbal crash and triangle...but it is just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eElWyQ_6XLU
Nice. There are certain songs in my music library I have often thought come from a special place, beyond just the typical good music I enjoy. I've been known to refer to some of these special pieces as "outer worldly." Again a very personal, subjective matter...

Old 02-08-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Should "spiritual experience" include Jesus to be certified "spiritual." I suspect that is where we are heading.
I know I'm not the only one waiting to learn what you can teach us about this too...

Old 02-08-2021, 01:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Should "spiritual experience" include Jesus to be certified "spiritual." I suspect that is where we are heading.
Where we are heading is away from your irrational and illogical nonsense of a timeless, unchanging, pointless transformation of life energy as a consciousness that basically achieves nothing because nothing changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality