Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 09:36 AM

16,792 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
An authentic person who has confidence in their worldview would not run away like you do. That kind of hiddenness/timidity is more indicative of a cowardly phoney.
Another irony meter kaputt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's serves as a place for those types of people to go, though.
You mean it's purgatory? Or...

Old 02-16-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Another irony meter kaputt.
I would say it's more an ego thing. Essentially they're saying that when it comes to spirituality, they are the ones who know it all. In Iwas' case, his christianity is all he needs to know because it has all the answers...the only real answers. He knows virtually nothing about other world religions or cultures, and doesn't need to, because he is the font of all wisdom.

Sorta reminds me of one of my favorite uncles, who was a very nice man. But one day when I was visiting him in New York state I invited him to come down to Washington to visit some time. "They got trees there?", he asked. I said yes. "They got stores and gas stations there?" Again I said yes. "We got those things here. No need to go anywhere else". A very nice man who never traveled further than 100 miles from his hometown.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:58 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The political forum?? That place is full of propaganda from both sides. Nobody ever takes responsibility for ill behavior. It reminds me of being back in my hometown.
I for the most part gave up on the political forum awhile ago. Don't go there as a rule anywhere near as often as I used to in the beginning. It's been hard for me not to feel much the same about this forum, for much the same reasons. All that forever continues to prove my Cement Theory quite sound generally speaking...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's serves as a place for those types of people to go, though.
Shouldn't be long before you get the scolding from Tzap for using a phrase like "those types of people."

Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Isn't it the right of each reader to decide on the credibility of each poster?
Not sure about it being a right, but I can readily admit that I have...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would say it's more an ego thing. Essentially they're saying that when it comes to spirituality, they are the ones who know it all. In Iwas' case, his christianity is all he needs to know because it has all the answers...the only real answers. He knows virtually nothing about other world religions or cultures, and doesn't need to, because he is the font of all wisdom.

Sorta reminds me of one of my favorite uncles, who was a very nice man. But one day when I was visiting him in New York state I invited him to come down to Washington to visit some time. "They got trees there?", he asked. I said yes. "They got stores and gas stations there?" Again I said yes. "We got those things here. No need to go anywhere else". A very nice man who never traveled further than 100 miles from his hometown.
Just yesterday my wife and I were walking and talking about her late grand-mother who was the same way...

Never did anything in the way of travel or much other than work at the local bar she owned. Never did much of anything other than go to/from home/work, and she was a very rich woman during most of her adult life. I wonder what percent of people are like this. Imagine how different a life and perspective a person maintains when they don't venture out into the world around us.

Hard for my wife and I to imagine as we are the complete opposite. We love home, but we sure do love travel as well. We are full of appreciation for what traveling has afforded us in terms of broadening our perspectives about so many things. All a part of living life to the fullest extent we can possibly manage.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure about it being a right, but I can readily admit that I have...
Absolutely, but giving the reasons one person (a) questions the credibility of person (b) may determine whether person (c) buys it. Of course person (d) may already have made up their minds, but even then they have to make a case, and, as I told person e, f and g, it doesn't matter whether they reject a compelling case because they brought nothing but a closed mind to the table - it has always been the Rt. Hon. peanut gallery and the worshipful lurkers, browsers and scoffers of popcorn h through to zee, whose espousement of our case we goddless bastards are always after.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Absolutely, but giving the reasons one person (a) questions the credibility of person (b) may determine whether person (c) buys it. Of course person (d) may already have made up their minds, but even then they have to make a case, and, as I told person e, f and g, it doesn't matter whether they reject a compelling case because they brought nothing but a closed mind to the table - it has always been the Rt. Hon. peanut gallery and the worshipful lurkers, browsers and scoffers of popcorn h through to zee, whose espousement of our case we goddless bastards are always after.
Well that pretty well covers the full alpha bet in any case. Pass the popcorn...

Old 02-17-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well that pretty well covers the full alpha bet in any case. Pass the popcorn...
While I understand what you've been saying in this little series of posts, I think perhaps that you're missing our point.

There are a handful or two of posters who MAKE THEMSELVES THE TARGETS because their posts are really ABOUT THEM, not the content. There are two posters I'm thinking who are the most repetitive posters I have ever seen on any forum. And they do everything they can to manipulate other posters because it feeds their egos. One of them clearly does it knowingly, the other seems to be confused and just falls into the habit. Those individuals deserve to be called out, particularly if they are stalking other posters.

Then we have the vast majority of posters in this forum -- some of whom are very religious -- who virtually never get "called out" because they have amiable conversations where they "get along" while still differing in their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality