Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 04:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Much if not all of this is much like the fun of imagining what we might expect if we suddenly found ourselves in Middle Earth with Bilbo Baggins...

To share in the fun, I'll just add that I've heard it said God made man in his image. When imagining a God, my biggest fear is that he is anything like man, because if he is we're in big trouble. If God is female, then we're all going to hell and none of us will know why.
God will say: 'Of course you know why', and she will say that we are refusing to admit knowing why we deserve hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:42 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do reply as Christian based or Bible based.
Yes, we should be open-minded, after all the mind should work like a parachute: it must be open.
( However, I find some people's minds are so far wide open one would think their brains could fall out )
Yes, there can be a difference between an open mind, or even minded so as to have a sound mind.

If I remember right, there is a Buddhist saying I like that there is more tears shed on Earth then water in the oceans.
So, if I am right, is life on Earth with you equated with suffering _________
Most people think I'm absurd having the concept of everlasting life on Earth.
Still, don't we want to see suffering eliminated and know the meaning of life____________
Or, what do you believe would be needed to bring an end to pain or misery for all ?

Good day for now.......
You have repeatedly asked for reply to this comment of yours. Enough times to cause me to look at it again...

I wonder how "open-minded" you can be when you admit you reply "as Christian based or Bible based," but of course we're all dealing with some degree of confirmation bias that gets in the way of open-mindedness. Question really becomes to what degree?

The mind should also work like a boat, to keep the water out that can cause it to go under.

What do Buddhists say about suffering?

"More simply put, suffering exists; it has a cause; it has an end; and it has a cause to bring about its end. ... In Buddhism, desire and ignorance lie at the root of suffering. By desire, Buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied."

https://www.pbs.org/edens/thailand/b...be%20satisfied.

What does this understanding do for you/us?

Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
You have repeatedly asked for reply to this comment of yours. Enough times to cause me to look at it again...

I wonder how "open-minded" you can be when you admit you reply "as Christian based or Bible based," but of course we're all dealing with some degree of confirmation bias that gets in the way of open-mindedness. Question really becomes to what degree?

The mind should also work like a boat, to keep the water out that can cause it to go under.

"More simply put, suffering exists; it has a cause; it has an end; and it has a cause to bring about its end. ... In Buddhism, desire and ignorance lie at the root of suffering. By desire, Buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied."

https://www.pbs.org/edens/thailand/b...be%20satisfied.

Your second paragraph here is the key. The vast majority of his postings are simply cutting and pasting bible verses. That demonstrates ZERO open-mindedness. It's akin to being a robot.

Another poster is Truthteller. All he does is quote the Koran. No openmindedness there.

If all I did was quote the Tipitaka, that would be another example of no openmindedness.

Openmindedness is when you visit a Hindu shrine and it generates questions in your mind. Oh when you visit a mosque and you think, "That's interesting. I'll need to think about that". Openmindedness is when you visit a Buddhist temple and wonder about the symbolism. Or a Chinese temple and then look into the worship of ancestors. And so on.

Matthew just regurgitates bible verses, and Iwas is not far behind.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:22 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your second paragraph here is the key. The vast majority of his postings are simply cutting and pasting bible verses. That demonstrates ZERO open-mindedness. It's akin to being a robot.

Another poster is Truthteller. All he does is quote the Koran. No openmindedness there.

If all I did was quote the Tipitaka, that would be another example of no openmindedness.

Openmindedness is when you visit a Hindu shrine and it generates questions in your mind. Oh when you visit a mosque and you think, "That's interesting. I'll need to think about that". Openmindedness is when you visit a Buddhist temple and wonder about the symbolism. Or a Chinese temple and then look into the worship of ancestors. And so on.

Matthew just regurgitates bible verses, and Iwas is not far behind.
No question we've all got our ways...

I'm well aware of these "tendencies" by some, that for the most part cause me to ignore some folks in this forum altogether. Always interesting to see that no matter how "closed-minded," they sure do "get the goat" of lots of other people. Have to admit they're great attention getters, but mostly for me they are not worth the attention. I try to stay open-minded through it all in any case. Best I can.

The exception in this case was other than the route posting of bible verses, and my curiosity about what my reply would bring in terms of response. Curiosity or not, all too often the further response is not worth waiting for, but maybe this time it will be more than just another bible verse.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:20 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply as my intention was based on genuine personal concern.
I don't understand why Phetaroi would Not make a comment on what I asked.
It was to discuss a common problem that should be a concern to all. An interchange of thoughts on the subject.
Years ago I met a Buddhist man from Vietnam and he would Not discuss anything either.
Later, I met a Buddhist woman and also she would Not speak.
On the other hand, Hindu people I've met are so friendly, warm and welcoming.

Anyway, yes agree the mind should also work like a boat to keep out the water.
Especially toxic or polluted waters while floating in a troubled sea ( restless sea - Isaiah 57:20 )
Be in God's boat and don't want polluted water to enter our boat or Ship of Salvation - Revelation 17:15

I agree that suffering has a cause; has an end.
Yes, desire (wrong desire) is a cause of suffering - James 1:13-15
Yes, ignorance lies at the root of suffering - for some a lack of knowledge of God and a purpose for mankind.
Yes, craving pleasure, material goods (materialism) can never be satisfied.
Difference I guess, ' everlasting life ' can be satisfied through a Resurrection Hope.
In Scripture we were Not just born to suffer, grow old and die, but ' has an end '
So, if a person has an open mind (an inquiring mind that wants to know) and has an interest in moral family life, or even wonder if we will see Peace on Earth because I find God's kingdom (aka His government) is the real coming solution.

Again, thank you for your reply, and I hope my reply has Not upset you.
The fact that Buddhist think suffering 'has an end', so do I.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:25 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
It was to discuss a common problem that should be a concern to all. An interchange of thoughts on the subject.
Years ago I met a Buddhist man from Vietnam and he would Not discuss anything either.

Especially toxic or polluted waters while floating in a troubled sea ( restless sea - Isaiah 57:20 )
Be in God's boat and don't want polluted water to enter our boat or Ship of Salvation - Revelation 17:15

Yes, ignorance lies at the root of suffering - for some a lack of knowledge of God and a purpose for mankind.
Difference I guess, ' everlasting life ' can be satisfied through a Resurrection Hope.
In Scripture we were Not just born to suffer, grow old and die, but ' has an end '
So, if a person has an open mind (an inquiring mind that wants to know) and has an interest in moral family life, or even wonder if we will see Peace on Earth because I find God's kingdom (aka His government) is the real coming solution.

Thank you for providing in this post exactly what the problem is: "Be in God's boat and don't want polluted water to enter our boat". I'm sorry, but Buddhism is not pollution.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:

You have a point. Religion is a boat that helps us reach "yonder shore". The issue is that your boat is not the only boat. And some people that are down in the hull may not be seeing the big picture.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree. Arach (while completely failing to understand your argument, because he was too intent on peddling his own) made a good point - the universe (so far as we know) does what it does naturally; and to apply human standards of morality is parochial and short - sighted. However, as you say, If there is a god that has at least our level of intelligence, judgement after death would have to be better than the old brutal moral codes we had when religions were evolved or, rather borrowed from earlier cultures, rebranded and marketed to the locals.
lmao made a good and failed to understand ... thats funny.

trans, the only difference between us is how we choose to fight. You are locked into "stop religion in the united states." I am locked in "evaluating what people say about what their statements of belief say and the the evidence they use"

Old 02-17-2021, 01:38 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You have a point. Religion is a boat that helps us reach "yonder shore". The issue is that your boat is not the only boat. And some people that are down in the hull may not be seeing the big picture.
A post that is coherent. But the 'locked in' analogy works both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao made a good and failed to understand ... thats funny.

trans, the only difference between us is how we choose to fight. You are locked into "stop religion in the united states." I am locked in "evaluating what people say about what their statements of belief say and the the evidence they use"
This is just nonsense with usual quotemining fitted into your own biased atheist - (or rather liberal) - hating mindset.

And that's (Chinese New Year resolution) the last time I bother with a post of yours. Unless it is saying something worthwhile.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
A post that is coherent. But the 'locked in' analogy works both ways.

This is just nonsense with usual quotemining fitted into your own biased atheist - (or rather liberal) - hating mindset.

And that's (Chinese New Year resolution) the last time I bother with a post of yours. Unless it is saying something worthwhile.
again, the difference. I can use all evidence used by anybody. You have to limit evidence and context so that you maintain an air of reliability.

You know I know. Can you imagine you and I in a room and you said "I am only talking about forward thinking", can you imagine what happens at that point? Or, "you are enabling them by using that information." or "that belief gets us no where.

Can you imagine not being able to just keep posting and we do not move off of "explain what not getting us anywhere means using data that is in these textbooks?" Or not moving on until you explain why we have to disallow that inform because its not getting us anywhere?"

can you imagine how that goes in person? In a courtroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality