Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
When you want to taste the sugar just suck on a finger. LOL!
Not many will get ---it's us - within, inside us ---all that we have ever wanted.
Reminds me of a poem paraphrased terribly...more me than the actual poem!

Here I sit alone, mocked by men,
Passers-by move away from me,
Huddled in a doorway, pitying me.
But, I, alone, know I drink from the breast
Of the Divine Mother;
Nursed in my silence.
Huddled in a doorway, alone and shunned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 06:52 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Not many will get ---it's us - within, inside us ---all that we have ever wanted.

Of the Divine Mother;
Nursed in my silence.
If he is with the Divine Mother, he is never alone or shunned!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:52 AM

551 posts, read 191,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Of the Divine Mother;
Nursed in my silence.
I often use the analogy of the waking equivalent of a lucid dream but another way to relate it is both being the sugar and tasting it. Same as saying I am everything and everything is me, but I think perhaps the sugar analogy gets the point across in a more meaningful way?

No matter the analogy it falls short. Far, far short.

By the way, very apt poem and not terribly paraphrased.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:06 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
These are great general ideas and they certainty apply. The question is what are we actually putting in these to say/see who is actually doing what.

A thing sent his son to die and rise for are sins or Vedanta or neither or others. And how can we spot who is doing what.

"degrees are not required" ... thats true enough.
What we we choose to believe has a lot to do with where we are in our life, our circumstances, what privilege we possess. Advaita does not require you believe anything. It shows a way to live in peace with yourself.
Those who believe Jesus died for their sins and if they believe in him they will be saved from hell, need to believe that in order to feel safe.
Those who believe that their true self is the same as Brhman, which is eternal and transcendental, and their mind and body are the source of fear and pain, are in a position of privilege. The list, you who is always seeking lists, provides a road map to get to that privileged place. It is not an easy path to traverse for sure, but it is available to the least of us.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What we we choose to believe has a lot to do with where we are in our life, our circumstances, what privilege we possess. Advaita does not require you believe anything. It shows a way to live in peace with yourself.
Those who believe Jesus died for their sins and if they believe in him they will be saved from hell, need to believe that in order to feel safe.
Those who believe that their true self is the same as Brhman, which is eternal and transcendental, and their mind and body are the source of fear and pain, are in a position of privilege. The list, you who is always seeking lists, provides a road map to get to that privileged place. It is not an easy path to traverse for sure, but it is available to the least of us.
I answered but my computer is having problems and it lost the response. Its seems that binary thinking can lock up the processor.

If advaita is only concerned with how we feel then you should not be making claims past "It only matters how it helps you". It is a self help system. When you challenged on things like "infinite", just say "Maybe, we do not deal in particulars." Then we can put down intellectual and move on.

I agree, what a person believes and how they defend it does show us a bit about the person.

1- Those who believe Jesus died for their sins and if they believe in him they will be saved from hell, need to believe that in order to feel safe.

2- Those who believe that their true self is the same as Brhman, which is eternal and transcendental, and their mind and body are the source of fear and pain, are in a position of privilege

Both think that they are a position of privilege. I would say its the privilege that is more troublesome than the belief itself.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:41 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
I answered but my computer is having problems and it lost the response. Its seems that binary thinking can lock up the processor. If advaita is only concerned with how we feel then you should not be making claims past "It only matters how it helps you". It is a self help system. When you challenged on things like "infinite", just say "Maybe, we do not deal in particulars." Then we can put down intellectual and move on. I agree, what a person believes and how they defend it does show us a bit about the person. 1- Those who believe Jesus died for their sins and if they believe in him they will be saved from hell, need to believe that in order to feel safe. 2- Those who believe that their true self is the same as Brhman, which is eternal and transcendental, and their mind and body are the source of fear and pain, are in a position of privilege Both think that they are a position of privilege. I would say its the privilege that is more troublesome than the belief itself.
bold above
it is not
it is not "only concerned" with that.

describing and understanding and learning and experiencing and exploring how a system works (whether that is a system of mathematics, a system of music, a system of true self, a system of dance, or a system of biology) is more than "a self help system."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-04-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
it is not
it is not "only concerned" with that.

describing and understanding and learning and experiencing how a system works (whether that is a system of mathematics, a system of music, a system of true self, a system of dance, or a system of biology) is more than "a self help system."
Then it will be held to the same standards of every other claim. How how Tzaph "feels about it" will not be the standard we are using to test what you are saying.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
i'm not the one "freaked out" by infinity.
you are. you have stated that is "how you feel about it" how you feel about infinity.
how we react is also not the standard. In fact, we need a process that adjust for people reactions. A process that can reduce bias distortions.

For excample:

1-infinity might be bla bla bla
2- I am not one freaked out about it.

hmmm ... I wonder what gives?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Then it will be held to the same standards of every other claim. How how "feels about it" will not be the standard we are using to test what you are saying.
the only way a person can test any of those listed
is to practice them and use them
not just talk about them, or discuss them, or argue about them, or object to them.
boots on the ground. walk the talk. otherwise it's just words. dog chasing tail. goes nowhere. lacks comprehension.
Quote:
describing and understanding and learning and experiencing how a system works (whether that is a system of mathematics, a system of music, a system of true self, a system of dance, or a system of biology)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-04-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
how we react is also not the standard. In fact, we need a process that adjust for people reactions. A process that can reduce bias distortions. For excample: 1-infinity might be bla bla bla 2- I am not one freaked out about it. hmmm ... I wonder what gives?
you tell us. as you are the one "troubled" by it and "freaked out" by it. and has a "bias distortion" about it.
by the infinite.
Quote:
Infinity gives people trouble.
Quote:
nothing freaks me out more than nothing, but infinite is close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality