Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 07:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You yourself have stated atheists are hated. What do you think that hatred is based off of?
I volunteer my suggested answer once again: Some believers are terrified that atheists may be correct - there is no God(s).

Their world would shatter.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:04 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You yourself have stated atheists are hated. What do you think that hatred is based off of?
The influence of the mainstream Religions (especially the Abrahamic Religions) is epic & prolific.
Many of the people that fully believe and embrace those Religions find it off-putting to the utmost to be told they are wrong to embrace those beliefs.
Even that there are those that "deny God/The Lord" is viewed as the worst disrespect to the Entity they view as they do.

Many are fully entrenched in that mindset.
I don't know if "hate" is the most apt descriptor of their emotional attitude...but it sure is a turn-off to them.
Not out of "fear"...they call the basis for their negative view of it, "righteous indignation".

Old 03-28-2021, 10:12 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The influence of the mainstream Religions (especially the Abrahamic Religions) is epic & prolific.
Many of the people that fully believe and embrace those Religions find it off-putting to the utmost to be told they are wrong to embrace those beliefs.
Even that there are those that "deny God/The Lord" is viewed as the worst disrespect to the Entity they view as they do.

I don't know if "hate" is the most apt descriptor of their emotional attitude...but it sure is a turn-off to them.
Not out of "fear"...they call the basis for their negative view of it, "righteous indignation".
I am not convinced that "hate" is the correct characterization either!

Old 03-29-2021, 07:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am not convinced that "hate" is the correct characterization either!
In your case it probably isn't because the only cause you are battling for is your own convictions, not for a party of either religion or ideology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I volunteer my suggested answer once again: Some believers are terrified that atheists may be correct - there is no God(s).

Their world would shatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITj-DtId5NY

I may not live to see it, but I can dream. And find it amusing that the analogy of Tolkien for the defeat of the dark arts of science and technology ("He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom") by the world where the little people are kept happily ignorant so they can be told fairy tales by the elves works better the other way around. We know the ones who make 'words stand on their heads' in order to to 'make a mockery of the elves'. And, to paraphrase 'magic';"evidence? I do not know what you mean by that...the same word seems to be used for the deceits of the enemy'. And we know who tries to fiddle the evidence.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-29-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 07:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

And again, we see that we agree on far more than we disagree on. Just (and I know you won't agree, even if you get it) a determination to discredit the name 'atheist'. For example, by wagging about a 'theism' that actually isn't one.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 AM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And again, we see that we agree on far more than we disagree on. Just (and I know you won't agree, even if you get it) a determination to discredit the name 'atheist'. For example, by wagging about a 'theism' that actually isn't one.
What emotion drives atheists to interact with believers?
It might depend on the level of their atheist belief. At one level it can be curiosity, seeking answers for yet unresolved questions, or confirmation. At the other level it can be a missionary zeal to bring the message of nothingness to the un-evolved. And all other mind games in between.
Atheists and theists may just be mirror images of each other. I think those who have resolved it one way or another spiritually may not be in this forum. It is those of us who need to intellectualize spirituality and want to test out out their beliefs.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:34 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It might depend on the level of their atheist belief. At one level it can be curiosity, seeking answers for yet unresolved questions, or confirmation. At the other level it can be a missionary zeal to bring the message of nothingness to the un-evolved. And all other mind games in between.
Atheists and theists may just be mirror images of each other. I think those who have resolved it one way or another spiritually may not be in this forum. It is those of us who need to intellectualize spirituality and want to test out out their beliefs.
The bold would certainly characterize the last 4+ decades of my life, CB. Very insightful.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
its simple. List the traits we see in people. As listed by people in the people business.

make a chart. Predict how they well express atheism and theism. Compare those predictions to what we see here. If you want to get fancy, add in addiction, abuse, and mental illness. See what you predict.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its simple. List the traits we see in people. As listed by people in the people business.

make a chart. Predict how they well express atheism and theism. Compare those predictions to what we see here. If you want to get fancy, add in addiction, abuse, and mental illness. See what you predict.
What traits have you seen on your lists that are indicative of either theism or of atheism?

Old 03-29-2021, 02:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What traits have you seen on your lists that are indicative of either theism or of atheism?
sir, Read it again, slowly. sir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality