Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 04:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
did the pandemic measures have any impact?
are the religious religious if their membership ceases?
I think that when quality of life goes up and people feel the state owes them, religion numbers drop. But believers in something (as in a pronoun to express no single belief) will always outnumber nothing or deny everything.

Plus, I really think its Christianity dropping the fastest in the states. No way a god sent his son to die for our sins can withstand commonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 04:09 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
I stopped going to church temporary for the pandemic, as my job have people at the door of my factory and will put me out for months if I were to catch anything ....... Jesus Spirit still blesses here with His cleansing of Christ as have me booked to go back in the near future when the job is less abusive and the church added all their chairs back ...... More than half of the people of my church are in the same predicament as what I'm going through .................

Old 03-29-2021, 04:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
The clothes I wore as a child no longer fit. I have long-since outgrown them.

The answers religion gave me 60+ years ago no longer make sense. I have outgrown them.

The world is becoming more educated and less superstitious. The number of church goers will continue to plummet.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I stopped going to church temporary for the pandemic, as my job have people at the door of my factory and will put me out for months if I were to catch anything ....... Jesus Spirit still blesses here with His cleansing of Christ as have me booked to go back in the near future when the job is less abusive and the church added all their chairs back ...... More than half of the people of my church are in the same predicament as what I'm going through .................
That's not what this is talking about.

Not going to church temporarily for some reason is not the same thing as dropping your membership in a church.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
did the pandemic measures have any impact?
are the religious religious if their membership ceases?
It's a long term trend (see the graph in the article). And the loss is accelerating.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It's a long term trend (see the graph in the article). And the loss is accelerating.
It's a twenty year trend. Church membership was pretty stable until 2000.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:28 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It's a twenty year trend. Church membership was pretty stable until 2000.
So the question is -- what has happened in the last 20 years that has caused it to collapse.

I would wonder if it was the increase in the power of the religious right being such a turnoff to millions of people.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:32 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx

The poll includes those that used to attend synagogues, mosques and temples. It seems that the reduction in religious adherence is now like a snowball, and gathering speed every year. Many, like me, see this as a good thing. Others will be very concerned.
Are we talking about decrease in membership or decrease in attendance, or both?

Either way, I am surprised to read “mosques” in your comment.

From where I am located, in the last few years, we have established from 2 to 14 mosques in our city and another one is under construction.

Many of these mosques hold two to three prayer sessions on Fridays because the space cannot accommodate all the attendees.
And many mosques don’t have any organized “membership” neither do they care about it. Usually there are a few members (volunteers) to run the operations, and the attendees pay funds to cover the expenses and operational costs.

I am pretty much sure it’s the same scenario in almost all major American cities with a good size Muslim population

Not sure how this article talks about mosques, but anyway, whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Hard to worship the thing that killed grandma and grandpa with something it created.

What? it didn't create the virus?

Okay then it watched grandma and grandpa suff.
OK, so let’s say there is no creator, who killed the grandma and grandpa?

Old 03-30-2021, 12:12 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So the question is -- what has happened in the last 20 years that has caused it to collapse.

I would wonder if it was the increase in the power of the religious right being such a turnoff to millions of people.
I suspect that has a lot to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality