Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 01:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is how consistent a claim is to observation.

"strawman" is a cop out. only focusing on "religion is bad" so anything people say against that is right is also wrong. Where does "deny it all because religion is so dangerous" fit.

in a political forum, yes, this is about comparing what we are saying in terms of a belief. "I don't believe you" is what religious people say, it is equally wrong when athirst use it.

"there is no god or gods of any type" is BS. And for atheist just to tag along, that actually believe something, is exactly what caused things like the inquisition. although anybody with a brain knows it was nothing about belief and more about power and money.

so tow the party line seems to be the order of the ay for atheist and thiest alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 08:13 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I told ya:

Again, the mojo I put on you reveals itself with your compulsion to use my material. It has taken over your soul now...and you will never be able to shake it.

What you write about is y'all's game...that I have been noting all along.
Only illogical & unreasonable people will assess, critique, and argue the actions and attitude of a being they claim they do not believe exists.
Anyone with any sense would just say..."That's metaphorical and allegorical, not literally what occured" or "They are representative stories, those things didn't actually happen"...but, instead, y'all's emotional headtrips have blocked your ability to reason, so you ask why God is so "sadistic", why he "drowned everyone", or "why didn’t he do this or that", etc, etc.
Indicative of people functioning on bias and hatred, not logic, reason, and common sense. Y'all are the Champions of that.

The problems with that approach are two sides of basically the same coin.

1. What is allegorical vs what is literal changes from believer to believer
2. What is allegorical vs what is literal changes for the same person depending on what best suits their argument at any one point in time as they proselytize and debate.

One bit of advice on a personal basis, if I were you I wouldn't go around accusing others of having "headtrips" or, for that matter "head trips". Nor would I be seen accusing others of having their ability to reasons blocked, and no doubt, you know why. Nor would I accuse others of "functioning on bias and hatred, not logic, reason, and common sense".

But thanks for participating, and have a great day.

PS "Y'all" isn't a word, and like "ain't", puts the education of its user in serious question.

PSS If I may be allowed a bit of speculation, NOBODY would mock or otherwise denigrate you if you didn't offer up the silly tripe that you do on a regular, unending basis in your posts. It isn't personal. You might be a nice guy or gal, who knows.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:25 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The top paragraph is what I am talking about. Something is there and causing the horizon. Its not nothing.

Pretend we don't know the the answer. Santa is actually a good analogy.

List the reasons for the us thinking what we do. Compare them to each other and see what ones line up with observations.

Where does deny them all because we are here to fight people that say its an edge because we are on a flat earth?

where does your position fit of calling people names, their ideas stupid, and claiming you know the real truth when the other person says it may be due to the curvature of the earth based on the shadows they see.

How do you know your view is clearer? Because other anti-god-ers tell you how youre so clear.

I can't connect the dots because I do what I am told. Youtybe ***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEovwE1oHI&t=307s. The *** are there to try and stop the video from showing. Remove them. His channel is what I use to say the system around us is acting more like a unit than it is not.

And you did respond before ... in so many words ... about how you knew better, I am stupid, and my claim is wishful thinking.

The biggest problem I have with some of my fellow atheist is that do exactly what they accuse theist of doing. They demand open and honest discussions from them and do not apply it to themselves. Believing is not the problem salty. Its how people believe is that's the problem. You allude to it all the time, and you are correct, but you do not apply your logic to yourself.

Religion did not cause the bad we see to me. I believe "Ok, but don't slow us down, we have the same goals and are fighting for you too." was the cause far more than believing that we may be in a living system. I believe,,, good people were tricked and bullied into believing that approach is better.

The good news news for you, the scarred and recovering people will tow the line with you. But like religious followers, the more scarred and recovering people doesn't mean you have the answers. Your methods and their methods will only end in more suffering. Your beliefs are blind faith.

I never said creator god ... that is also another example of what I saying. Looking at what god may or may not be is not dependent on a creator type god. This is a believing forum, so its about all beliefs and seeing what one line up to observation.

You are hyper focused on anti-religion, it drives your whole line of logic. I believe that is a political motive, not a bad one, but this is not a political forum. supposedly.

You "so what" comment is also what I am pointing out. You say so what then you say all spiritual people are wrong. You basically say "so what ... I don't care what observations point to." that is blind faith.
AA.Noted. PS. I have NO beliefs, only facts, or what I perceive as facts. Beliefs are held sans evidence.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I told ya:

Again, the mojo I put on you reveals itself with your compulsion to use my material. It has taken over your soul now...and you will never be able to shake it.
It is called quoting your admitting your usual nasty, miserable, mocking self, spread out over the phony failure to understand the logical arguments you insult and bash and have no good answer to, and how it works great every time for you.

Quote:
What you write about is y'all's game...that I have been noting all along.
Only illogical & unreasonable people will assess, critique, and argue the actions and attitude of a being they claim they do not believe exists.
It is called a devil's advocate, although your response has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Or reality.

Quote:
Anyone with any sense would just say..."That's metaphorical and allegorical, not literally what occured" or "They are representative stories, those things didn't actually happen"...but, instead, y'all's emotional headtrips have blocked your ability to reason, so you ask why God is so "sadistic", why he "drowned everyone", or "why didn’t he do this or that", etc, etc.
Indicative of people functioning on bias and hatred, not logic, reason, and common sense. Y'all are the Champions of that.
Your usual assertion you are compelled to post, even though it has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Or reality.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:38 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I agree, but for believers, their religious dogma blinds them fully or nearly fully, to reality. They see almost nothing beyond their dogma, and, in all fairness, they neither try to see beyond that dogma, nor care that they don't. It is dogma uber alles.
And that differs from "It is no God exists uber alles" How, exactly???

Old 06-08-2021, 09:03 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
there you go ... a hang around.

base axioms like "fight religion" are less sound than fight oppression. in fact, so far in a way less reliable that fight religion using anti-god as a base axiom is blind faith.

You are a believer in past lives and probably some other less than reliable beliefs. Now apply his logic to yourself.

oh wait, people that running on revenge and fear don't need to cross check claims ... they know its the truth. Their statement of belief is the best. and how you feel is all we need to know.

My bad, carry on.
Mister 1886:

I don't "fight religion". I fight religious overreach. I know the truth doesn't matter to you, but I will repeat it once again: There is a place for religion in life. In churches, synagogues, temples; in the home; in the mind, and yes, even in some public settings. Once religious people attempt to influence the lives of others who are no interested, then religion has gone into overreach.

I'm not anti-god. If there is a god, then there is a god. So be it. But I don't see that there's a god.

It is not correct to say I am a "believer" in past lives. I believe I experienced a past life on one occasion. So I think past lives are possibly part of the answer of what is "out there". But I don't claim them to be a fact. But so what? You cannot show me a single post where I have tried to get another person to believe in past lives. So there has been no overreach on my part. And let's expand on that. There is a difference between explaining what one believes and proselytizing. People come here to discuss religion and spirituality, both pro and con. That's fine. It's a choice to come here, and one quickly learns what the environment is. So there is rarely overreach here until, from my perspective, posters start telling other posters they're going to hell, or something of that sort.

You act as if "past lives" is some wacko idea. Well, if I have a choice between being in the company of Ben Franklin, Carl Jung, Mahatma Gandhi, Henry Ford, Ralph Waldo Emerson, David Lloyd George, General George Patton, and William Wordsworth (to name just a few), OR you...I'll stick with them. As I have pointed out in a couple of posts in other threads in the past few days, famous people believing something doesn't make that something right or true, but it does show that very accomplished people have similar beliefs or thoughts. But perhaps you ought to swallow a dose of your own medicine -- you criticizing me for my belief/thought is exactly what you're supposed to be criticizing me for...except, as we really know, your post today (as with many) is only a form of stalking cause something I said to you years ago made you get butt hurt, and now you can't let it go.

There's one part of your post above that is correct: It is your bad.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:05 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post

1. What is allegorical vs what is literal changes from believer to believer
2. What is allegorical vs what is literal changes for the same person depending on what best suits their argument at any one point in time as they proselytize and debate.

One bit of advice on a personal basis, if I were you I wouldn't go around accusing others of having "headtrips" or, for that matter "head trips". Nor would I be seen accusing others of having their ability to reasons blocked, and no doubt, you know why. Nor would I accuse others of "functioning on bias and hatred, not logic, reason, and common sense".

PSS If I may be allowed a bit of speculation, NOBODY would mock or otherwise denigrate you if you didn't offer up the silly tripe that you do on a regular, unending basis in your posts. It isn't personal. You might be a nice guy or gal, who knows.
You have my full support in this post (except for that last sentence, where tone would suggest otherwise).

Old 06-08-2021, 09:38 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I agree with it as it applies to these posts and current political and religious opinions held by most people. But I don't think it happens in their 20's. I know people who were liberals in college who became staunch conservatives and finally Trump supporters. So their beliefs changed radically over time depending on what they saw as their priorities, from not being drafted under Johnson, to growing their stock portfolios under Trump. I was a liberal and stayed one, but in the last 20 years came to realize that many of the promises of liberal politicians were blocked by the other side and few came to fruition. So my belief in political promises has changed significantly.

I was raised Catholic and raised my children as Catholics and am still personally religious. But I came to see the church as just a business, after a summer behind the alter playing guitar at mass in my 40's. It became clear to me the mass was a performance for money. So while I am religious I no longer believe I need to go to church.
In our 20's seems typical, but of course we all develop in different ways during different times of our life...

I've simply recognized that the great majority of us get to that point of "cementing" our core beliefs and after that the facts, reason and logic that contradicts those beliefs tends to get thrown under the bus of confirmation bias. Exceptions to the rule of course, but they don't make the rule.

I think we've got to note the difference between our ideological desires and the shortcomings of politicians and/or our political system. Any political system. I tend to lean liberal, and it's always disappointing when those who more closely align with my political leanings can't deliver as hoped, but this doesn't change my core beliefs in these regards.

For example, some of us may feel strongly about a universal health care system and the fact that we can't really get there does not change that hope. With our system of government, it's just very hard to get around those who don't share the same political and/or ideological goals.

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-08-2021 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
your cement theory can't handle actual claims to see what ones are more reliable or not. In fact, your cement theory can only be used by people with less reliable claims to judge more reliable claims as being "they are closed minded."
My Cement Theory was never meant to be about all you want to go on about...

Old 06-08-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In all fairness, everyone thinks their perspective helps them see things the way they really are.
This is true, but again, so what?

Needless to say, everyone thinks they are right, but some are and some are not. None of us would argue that everyone can't have an opinion. Believe whatever one wants, but who doesn't know this?

This forum, these threads, are about exchanging opinion and of course we're all free to judge which opinions are more worthy than others, better or worse. Sound or foolish. True or false...

Always a little perplexed when someone comes along and makes the point that we're all free to have whatever opinion we like. Expressing one's opinion, even confidently, does NOT mean one doesn't realize others may disagree. Again there is always at least someone who will disagree.

Still got people who believe the Earth is flat after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality