Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 02:02 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since I have started a thread, but this thought just occurred to me.

It seems to me that everyone who believes in a god in the western world, in their adult life at least, has made some sort of choice about the kind of god they believe in.
For example, many people these days reject the judgemental, vengeful god as found in the old testament and opt for a more 'god is love' type of god. Why?

If god does actually exist, the type of god it is, wouldn't be a matter of choice.
So you could very possibly be believing in the wrong type of god.

Maybe the Native Americans had it right and there are many gods; of thunder, music, fire, wind and so on.
Many cultures in history have been similarly polytheistic.
So why nail your mast to believing in one type of god, that could be the wrong one?

I'm curious if any of you ever question the type of god you believe in?

Does it even matter? None of us know, so in that sense we are all agnostic.

And if it doesn't matter, why does everyone defend their belief so stridently?

Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I'd say it's less about the deity (God, etc.), and more about the personal relationship and communication (spiritual communication). And it would be a partnership, not a dictatorship. Essentially an equal balance of both entities/beings, and no need to heavy-handed and off-balanced, focusing on either side (neither a submissive slave nor a narcissist). Similar to healthy communication between two friends, etc. When that's healthy, there should be no worries about "wrong" anything.

The other point would be to always leave open the possibility of needing adjustment to thinking / philosophy. When you fill yourself up completely with how you think things are, there's no room to pick up corrections. So staying open and "innocent", so to speak, leaves you constantly receptive to potential new learning and fine tuning. A lot of people either reject everything, or fill themselves fully with whatever belief, and then lock themselves in that state. Even if God exists, no new messages would get through in either case due to personal preference.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-08-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 02:13 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
I've always liked Kurt Vonnegut Jr's line on this.

"Anyone who thinks they know what the creator of the Universe is up to is a fool...and so am I."

Old 09-08-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've always liked Kurt Vonnegut Jr's line on this.

"Anyone who thinks they know what the creator of the Universe is up to is a fool...and so am I."

Ha! I love it!

Old 09-08-2021, 02:29 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's been a long time since I have started a thread, but this thought just occurred to me.

It seems to me that everyone who believes in a god in the western world, in their adult life at least, has made some sort of choice about the kind of god they believe in.
For example, many people these days reject the judgemental, vengeful god as found in the old testament and opt for a more 'god is love' type of god. Why?

If god does actually exist, the type of god it is, wouldn't be a matter of choice.

Maybe the Native Americans had it right and there are many gods; of thunder, music, fire, wind and so on.
So why nail your mast to believing in one type of god, that could be the wrong one?

Your thoughts.
There is really only one possible God who is coexistent with the only Reality we exist within, IMO. That eliminates any concerns about which God. You are correct about the many attributes that we seem prone to assign to God and therein lies the rub.

Our ignorance and the lack of any clear and unambiguous source of absolute knowledge about God other than what our science can discern does provide shelter from any consequences of our ignorance and erroneous choices, IMO.

I suspect the complete lack of concern about what is clearly and really indisputably the very reason we exist or assigning a dead and lifeless indifference or irrelevance to the issue seems more likely to contain negative consequences, IMO.

My reason for this suspicion is the very existence of our capability to engage such questions and issues - our consciousness. Its very existence is inexplicable based on what we can discern from the composition of our Reality no matter what silly concepts we explain it with, like emergence and the various self-(insert adverb) nonexplanations.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Your thoughts.
If I were God and I was the only one that existed I'd be bothered by people worshiping others

Old 09-08-2021, 02:43 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
All the gods of this world and ancient gods are fallen angels, the most High Lord of Host is not a fallen angel and is multi more powerful than these fallen angels ..... there were a few fallen angel god recently got back in the earth with the climate change call in the spirit, and the Lord of Host has been rounding these up, as these giant fallen angels can bring in drought and heavy winds and rain smashing in the earth is left unchecked ..... So if your god is climate change gods, then you should expect a wash-out or drought when people call them .... So if your god is a Hindu god then you will have one ..... So if your god is Islam then you will have one ...... All belief forms will have a different god ...... There is only one way to find out if the spirit you follow is through The Lord of Host Holy Spirit who will bring discernment of spirits which are true infallible revelation

Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If I were God and I was the only one that existed I'd be bothered by people worshiping others
1. If you were God, why would you need to be worshipped?
2. If you were God, why would you be bothered about people worshipping others?

This is presumably the creator of the universe were talking about here. Why would this creator be 'bothered' about things like that?

Old 09-08-2021, 03:13 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Insanely in love with the One God who Loved me First.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is really only one possible God who is coexistent with the only Reality we exist within, IMO. That eliminates any concerns about which God. You are correct about the many attributes that we seem prone to assign to God and therein lies the rub.

Our ignorance and the lack of any clear and unambiguous source of absolute knowledge about God other than what our science can discern does provide shelter from any consequences of our ignorance and erroneous choices, IMO.

I suspect the complete lack of concern about what is clearly and really indisputably the very reason we exist or assigning a dead and lifeless indifference or irrelevance to the issue seems more likely to contain negative consequences, IMO.

My reason for this suspicion is the very existence of our capability to engage such questions and issues - our consciousness. Its very existence is inexplicable based on what we can discern from the composition of our Reality no matter what silly concepts we explain it with, like emergence and the various self-(insert adverb) nonexplanations.
What kind of negative consequences Mystic?

Everyone being so defensive about their beliefs is what gets wars started Mystic. Wouldnt we all be better off just shrugging our shoulders?

Belief in god doesn't seem to have advanced humanity all that much.
Science does that.
We've built some beautiful churches I will give religion that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality