Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 05:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not sure the test defines what open mindedness is. A few questions made sense. I still admire Naipaul's writings although he is accused of being a misogynist and anti-muslim, both of which I abhor. But he is undeniably one of the greatest writers.

Trying a food item that is repulsive does not indicate open mindedness the way I define it. I don't know what that indicates other than a foody's brag item. While I respect others' religion, I don't need to convert to be open minded. I would attend a service though.

No I have never talked to a homeless person. While I always give them money, it has never occurred to me to do that. That shows a generosity of spirit that is beyond mere open mindedness.
I got 71%
These pop psychology inventories are largely transparent rendering them useless. Anyone desiring to score as open-minded can usually discern the likeliest selection to indicate that outcome. But few are as honest as you are, CB, willing to reject the answers that make no sense to you as you appropriately point out. It would seem that LearnMe is equally honest given his score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That is fricken' hilarious! How about some examples? I'm just dying to see what I've missed over the years. I've got to give you credit, though, for the most outlandish statement I've ever seen on City-Data and, believe me, I've seen some doozies.
I don't have knowledge for examples
if you are really interested in example you can send a question to this site https://islamqa.info/en
there is a click called Send a question
i got that statement from them

and you can ask any question or inquiry regarding religion
such as this one https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2690...th-a-christian

also you can replay to this quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just cause you say it doesn't mean it's true.
No, it is not nearly "an exact copy of it".

Old 09-24-2021, 01:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The point, for me anyway, is not the particulars of any religion, but why people believe what they do about their religion. Needless to say, again, Mormons don't believe what you believe. Why is that do you think?
if someone born and lived in a French speaking country then he will be speaking French
also in general he will be having the same religion of his parent or his country

and similarly for any language , country and religion and he will be tied to affiliation

it is ok to speak any language but the true religion is only one

Allah gave every one brain , heart , eyes , independency will and his final Holy book is at hand

and every one will responsible for his decision and action

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
No child is born except on Al-Fitra (Islam)
and then his parents make him jewish, Christian or Magian,
as an animal produces a perfect young animal
do you see any part of its body amputated?"

Then he rec
'The religion of pure Islamic Faith (Hanifa),(i.e. to worship none but Allah),
The pure Allah's Islamic nature with which He (Allah) has created mankind.
Let There be no change in Allah's religion (i.e. to join none in Allah's worship).
That is the straight religion; but most of men know not.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:12 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
There is definitely a lot of open mindedness among religionists. If one cannot see that then it is best one open his own mind more and let reality shake stuff a bit. Read books, not just the web.
Yes, open to wanting something to be true, but not having any evidence for this truth.

Quote:
As an Atheist one may not want acknowledge the secularism of religionists and instead focus on only those who are not,. This keeps them secure in their self-made prison.
Your usual rhetoric and a non sequitur.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 09-24-2021 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 03:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I started in Buddhism, Phet. I found its principles valid to a point. Indifference as the goal seems too callous and unacceptable (and there is too much irrational Mumbo Jumbo).
if I had to pick ... Buddhism aint it. Hyper focused on self is as good as hyper focused on a deity.

As we see here ...

Old 09-24-2021, 06:56 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
The hyper focus should be on God and love. God says if you don't love others how can you love me? So loving others puts you right where you need to be. Anyone can do that... no religion required. Everyone benefits.

For Christians... if you say you love God yet hate another, then you are a liar. I have lied many, many times.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:10 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The hyper focus should be on God and love. God says if you don't love others how can you love me? So loving others puts you right where you need to be. Anyone can do that... no religion required. Everyone benefits.

For Christians... if you say you love God yet hate another, then you are a liar. I have lied many, many times.
The Oneness is within each of us. Actually we, each one of us, is within the same Oneness. Hyper focus on self or others or god is all the same. If you love god you also love others because the other holds god within them.
Where we go astray is when we believe our body and ego is who we are, which immediately separates us from the Oneness. From there we are on our own, lost in a world we create for ourselves, act and react endlessly. The solution is to get back to hyper focus on god, who is the self. When we hyper focus with this knowledge our attitude towards others change as well.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:14 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
if I had to pick ... Buddhism aint it. Hyper focused on self is as good as hyper focused on a deity.

As we see here ...
Depends on how you understand the self. The self is the same as the Oneness. Arach is just flesh and bones with an ego, separated from the Oneness.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:13 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
I don't have knowledge for examples
if you are really interested in example you can send a question to this site https://islamqa.info/en
there is a click called Send a question
i got that statement from them

and you can ask any question or inquiry regarding religion
such as this one https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2690...th-a-christian

also you can replay to this quote
In other words, you just made a claim that you really know nothing about. I wouldn't quite say that was being a truth teller.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:16 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Depends on how you understand the self. The self is the same as the Oneness. Arach is just flesh and bones with an ego, separated from the Oneness.
And I don't see Buddhism as being "hyper-focused" on the self. The Five Precepts in Theravada are a moral structure on how to treat others as part of a moral life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality