Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think Descartes pretty much laid this navel-gazing question to rest.
oh really? let’s resurrect it then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 08:53 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God knows everyone even people without ID cards and even people who die before they are born, who's soul is collected for heaven and live there as children forever even though they never had a ID card
How do you know?

Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think Descartes pretty much laid this navel-gazing question to rest.
Unfortunately, his deterministic, empiricist Cartesian circle thinking only works for a closed, static system. In a system like Arach keeps trying to suggest - the model doesn’t work as well because we're really in an open system cohabitating and exchanging with the environment in ways that quantum field theory makes seem irrational.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:51 PM

299 posts, read 104,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Sure you have your ID, drivers license, SS Card. You are all set in the US, to the authorities who constantly want proof you exist and have provided them for you.
What about in South Pole. Do they know you exist? In China? Do you have THEIR acceptable proof that you exist? What about Timbuctoo? They dont even know that you dont exist in the North Pole. If you lose all those State provided proof, how will anyone know you exist?

Well, at least you exist. Who is it asking all these existential questions if you don't?

Me, though, you can't be that sure about. I might be a figment.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:40 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Cb, what’s the point of your post?

Old 10-07-2021, 06:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Cogito Ergo Sum! Just ask me.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:11 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I started thinking a lot about this when I was a teenager. One day, I told my two best friends (mostly just to see their response), that I had come to the conclusion that I alone existed and that they were just figments of my imagination or characters in some sort of dream. Instead of answering with a statement like, "Wow. That's interesting. Maybe I'm the only real one and you're a figment of my imagination," they both got really upset with me and started telling me how wrong I was. I decided not to push the idea any further.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:53 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I started thinking a lot about this when I was a teenager. One day, I told my two best friends (mostly just to see their response), that I had come to the conclusion that I alone existed and that they were just figments of my imagination or characters in some sort of dream. Instead of answering with a statement like, "Wow. That's interesting. Maybe I'm the only real one and you're a figment of my imagination," they both got really upset with me and started telling me how wrong I was. I decided not to push the idea any further.
I suppose that's evidence they exist outside of your mind because they reacted differently than you expected them to.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:59 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I suppose that's evidence they exist outside of your mind because they reacted differently than you expected them to.
Good observation!

Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Existence is not Identity. But both are real. Existence is only one, one single Consciousness-existence. Identity are many. Identity is the shape, form, name. Consciousness has no form. Identity is contained, limited, changes, decays, dies, and goes back to the elements. Conciousness -existance is causeless and endless and always is.
Identity is not our essence yet we carry papers, a name, form as if that is all we are. If we dont have our papers we don’t exist. We renew our passports, driver’s license even as we age and become unrecognizable from the earlier self, as proof we are the name that we carry. The card is evidence that we are not dead. It is proof it is the same name and form.

The only evidence for Existence is that we are aware that we are aware. There is no proof for that. Our self is the only proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality