Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM

249 posts, read 473,710 times

Advertisements

To clarify this post here are the definitions of the two words.......

Definition of an opinion is

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment:

Definition of a judgement is

1. an act or instance of judging.
2. the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, esp. in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: a man of sound judgment.
3. the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind: Our judgment as to the cause of his failure must rest on the evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 AM

428 posts, read 1,631,246 times
The difference is only semantic. "Having an opinion" is expected and non-threatening, while the phrase "passing judgment" has a negative connotation, and tends to be used about someone whom the user wants to diss.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
There is little difference, but to my mind an opinion can be had without all the facts. I may be swayed one way or another. My opinion may change when more facts come in.

Passing judgment seems more final. It seems, to me, to assume that all the facts are in. It is more often verbalized.

I think the admonition to 'judge not' is asking us to keep a corner of our judgments unsealed, allowing room for change in people, and recognizing that only god knows all the facts.

Often, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but
if a person is trying to change his life in some way,
often those closest to the individual are the
ones holding him back because they know of his past and
interact with him with that knowledge coloring
their responses.

This is one reason why people in drug rehab and
prisons get out and return right back to the old
environment, under the influences that brought them
to self-destruct in the first place. Old patterns and
even old friends can bring you down. It is easy to
get back to the old, familiar bad ways of thinking.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
Everything is either good or bad depending on who you ask. (What one praises, another prosecutes.) A great pianist was once asked if he thought his concert performance was good. After reflecting for a moment, the maestro answered: "Only the critics would know"; and, with a wry smile, he added - "they said last night I played brilliantly."

Old 05-17-2008, 07:11 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Both sides of the religious versus non religious issue have been guilty of passing judgement and I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself. I think you make a good point that simply expressing differences of opinion is what we should be doing in these conversations rather than pronouncing someone as being stupid and pinning a label on them. Expressing opinions can also open up new ideas that someone from the other side of the debate might pick up on and actually lead to a better understanding of the subject.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Everyone has an opinion about everything; albeit theirs is the only one that is right. Opinion is more often based on bias and prejudice than fact; and, therefore, is of little probative value. The plain truth needs no embellishment.

A famous lawyer was once asked his opinion on a contested matter; but on considering the case declined, stating that, as an advocate, he could argue either side, but one need be a judge to express an opinion - at least one that matters.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Everyone has an opinion about everything; albeit theirs is the only one that is right.
I don't think everyone's opinion has to be so cut and dry like that. I think a lot of people have opinions that can be changed. Like if the first time you meet someone and they act like a jerk. Well that would be your opinion of that person, that he/she was a jerk. But in future meetings with this person you learn that he/she is actually a nice person, then your opinion would change.

As for the OP, I think it all depends on how the opinion is delivered, whether or not it is just an opinion or if someone is being judgmental.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
I give this thread the prestigious coos award for longest name in quite a while

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM

Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice lis est.
- Horace, Ars Poetica, 78

Schopenhauer advised against engaging in argument noting that most people are not so readily made to change their mind. See Arthur Schopenhauer, APHORISMEN ZUR LEBENSWEISHEIT ("Counsels and Maxims"), Ch. III, Sec. 26 (1886). In this, it is unwise to hold too firmly to one’s views. Every fool is firmly convinced, and can stand no argument to the contrary no matter how wrongheaded his judgment. A wise man is flexible in his thinking; he is steadfast in his will, not his mind. There are always at least two sides to things, and a balanced mind weighs them both.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
For June, there is a difference between making an observation regarding someone's actions, placing those actions within some sort of overall context based on an understanding of the individual, and June's passing judgement on the them.

June listens to, observes, and puts people's words, thoughts, and actions into a basic context five days a week. She does not, however, pass judgement as regards those actions. Understanding lends context which in turn leads to greater receptivity. Opinions can have a fluidity and openness about them. While subjective, there can exist a more open element to opinions based upon those collective experiences that have gone into our having formed an "opinion." One must gather information in order to form an opinion. This is not just done on a profession level, but rather, it is a basic mindset, as well.

"Judgement," on the other hand, is a far more "closed" element. It is something that one has arrived at, and strikes me as being far more clear in it's parameters. There would seem to exist an element of harshness of the concept of judgement. It means that I have formed my opinion and arrived at an ultimate conclusion.

I think both are open to change, but that ultimately depends on the mindset of the individual who is both forming opinions and casting judgements. Alot depends on the receptivity of the individual. --As well as what they bring to the situation; the degree of openness....

This is just off the top of my June 7th head, so I'll have to ponder it a bit more...But for now, it's just June's opinion.

--And lord knows I could be wrong.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality