Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 AM

553 posts, read 568,586 times

Advertisements

The more and more I engage in discussion with Christians, I've noticed many of them arrive at a particular conclusion that seems suspect to me. At some point they will say something to this effect:

"There is nothing you will/can say that will deter my beliefs."

They may even say:

"I don't know why you are presenting view A or view G because it does not matter to me because you can't shake my faith."

I've also encountered these replies:

"Well I don't care what you have to say and I might not understand everything there is to know about the Bible. All I know is what God has done for me and thus I believe in him."

In my humble opinion and observation, this last admission sounds very similar to that of a battered or clueless wife in denial in relation to her abusive or cheating husband.

"I don't care what you all have to say about Gregg. All I know is that he loves me. Look, he took me out to dinner last night and he bought me a nice ring."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Default Off the top of my head:

Of the two examples you cite, one is denial, the other is not.

One holds the individual captive, the other does not. One is detracting from the ability to live a truly meaningful life; the other is seen by the individual as enhancing the ability to do so.

"Denial" is not always/necessarily denial across the board. It directly pertains to the purpose for which it is necessitated, the purpose it serves, and the resulting outcome, vis-a-vis, the individual's behavior and quality of life.

Take gentle care.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Of the two examples you cite, one is denial, the other is not.

One holds the individual captive, the other does not. One is detracting from the ability to live a truly meaningful life; the other is seen by the individual as enhancing the ability to do so.

"Denial" is not always/necessarily denial across the board. It directly pertains to the purpose for which it is necessitated, the purpose it serves, and the resulting outcome, vis-a-vis, the individual's behavior and quality of life.

Take gentle care.
WOW, June. I was going to say the exact same thing.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,618 times
when i discuss the scriptures with some of them
in some point they say to me , you must have the spirit to understand the bible , they tell me if i accept jesus as my saviour , i will understand his words
but some christians havn't the spirit yet so they depend on the spirit of church
i really hear these answers much , so are you (christians) agree with them?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
The more and more I engage in discussion with Christians, I've noticed many of them arrive at a particular conclusion that seems suspect to me. At some point they will say something to this effect:

"There is nothing you will/can say that will deter my beliefs."

They may even say:

"I don't know why you are presenting view A or view G because it does not matter to me because you can't shake my faith."

I've also encountered these replies:

"Well I don't care what you have to say and I might not understand everything there is to know about the Bible. All I know is what God has done for me and thus I believe in him."

In my humble opinion and observation, this last admission sounds very similar to that of a battered or clueless wife in denial in relation to her abusive or cheating husband.

"I don't care what you all have to say about Gregg. All I know is that he loves me. Look, he took me out to dinner last night and he bought me a nice ring."
while i might not have used the analogy..I would agree if im reading this correctly. the bible says “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth†(2 Timothy 2:15

IMHO one should study the bible and find for ones self why one believe like they do and not just take the preachers word for it, or the churches, or great grandmas or auntie whoeever..we need to know why we believe what we believe. for some reason I keep hearing adam sandler as bobby bushay saying..MY MOMMA SAYS THAT ...you know when hes in that class...oh nm-lol

Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 AM

756 posts, read 2,575,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
when i discuss the scriptures with some of them
in some point they say to me , you must have the spirit to understand the bible , they tell me if i accept jesus as my saviour , i will understand his words
but some christians havn't the spirit yet so they depend on the spirit of church
i really hear these answers much , so are you (christians) agree with them?
Not everyone who 'claims' to be a chriatian is.....

yy-

I find it hard to actually 'understansd' anyones faith with so much animosity towards them

you seem to ask questions without actually wanting to know the " why do you believe that"..when you get the answer you are more, and more 'disgusted' with chriatians....

what gives...

Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 AM

553 posts, read 568,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
Not everyone who 'claims' to be a chriatian is.....

yy-

I find it hard to actually 'understansd' anyones faith with so much animosity towards them

you seem to ask questions without actually wanting to know the " why do you believe that"..when you get the answer you are more, and more 'disgusted' with chriatians....

what gives...
What exactly are you talking about? Animosity toward whom? Where and when have I shown animosity toward any individual on here? All questions are not necessarily asked for the sake of knowing per se. This is a forum, right? Questions can be presented for the sake of discussion and in the course of discussion, hopefully better or clearer understandings can be had.

Last edited by yydanay515; 05-17-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2008, 10:52 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,663 times
Quote:
chriatian
How does this happen, more than once, when the word has been spelled correctly for all to see several times previously?

Anyway, OP, what more could you expect of someone that takes the opinions of others as fact without any evidence to back it up?

Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,372 times
it's called a typo, something of which i am sure that most of us are guilty of. probably even you.

Quote:
Anyway, OP, what more could you expect of someone that takes the opinions of others as fact without any evidence to back it up?
is that your analysis of why religious people believe, or is there more?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
it's called a typo, something of which i am sure that most of us are guilty of. probably even you.
I would suggest you update your internet browser. Typos do not in any way reduce the validity of the point being made but they sure as hell look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
is that your analysis of why religious people believe, or is there more?
Taking something as a fact without or in spite of the evidence is the textbook definition of faith. The prerequisite for religion is always faith. Sure they have their personal revelation and subjective opinions but if there truly was objective evidence to back up say belief in the christian god, then by definition they would no longer have any faith in Christianity and thus they would all be destined to hell...that is if I am to take the "salvation through faith only" version as the true one

YouTube - Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. God non existence of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality