Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 08:40 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem is that I think most of have confirmation bias to some degree. In fact, I think if all the people who have confirmation bias stopped posting, the forum would be empty.

Sometimes some of us break through some particular confirmation bias, but may very well end up in another confirmation bias.
Confirmation bias cannot be completely avoided when it comes to opinion and/or a forum like this one. It is a real problem, yes, but more of a problem for some than others is all. The degree to which we can objectively, fairly and intelligently consider any subject is really the issue, with as little bias as possible. Clearly there are those who display little in the way of objectivity while others seem better able.

Of course in a forum like this one we also have no judge or jury to decide who among us is the greater victim of confirmation bias and/or who is the more or less objective. This we all decide over time in all our different ways despite whatever level of confirmation bias we have to deal with on a personal level.

Not altogether different from how we all have different abilities to play sports, depending on whatever challenges any of us might experience when doing so. We're not all equal in these respects in any case, and as such when it comes to critical thinking and conclusion about these subjects, we all end up in different places...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Given your track record of insisting that my views incorporate the existing absurd and ridiculous views of God in the dominant religions, you are not very good at evaluating the ACTUAL arguments I use. That is the worst kind of misinterpretation. Since your motivation stems from your atheism as the baseline for your evaluations, it is hardly misrepresenting you as not wanting to entertain theism.
I would love to play your switch-out-the-words game with this comment of yours, but something tells me it would resonate with you just the way your playing of that game resonates with me. That and/or a little too childish for me.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I have faith and I do believe in a higher force than us.

And we get messages all the time. It's up to you to "see" them.
They are called...coincidence, synchronicity, serendipity, a gut feeling, etc. Labels for things that happen that cannot be explained.

Your mind has to be present to see them.

For me, the signs are confirmation for what I'm doing, thinking, planning, and a reminder that there is something greater than us.
Now...

Either they are messages or they are coincidence, synchronicity, serendipity, gut feelings (intuition, luck, random chance) etc.

Whatever we choose to believe doesn't depend on whether we are present or observant of these events. Clearly not, or all of us who are present and observe the same event would conclude the same thing.

I mean right?!?

For you the signs might mean one thing. For others they might mean the end of days is near. For others like me, y'all are signs of something special. Something very special...

Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Now...

Either they are messages or they are coincidence, synchronicity, serendipity, gut feelings (intuition, luck, random chance) etc.

Whatever we choose to believe doesn't depend on whether we are present or observant of these events. Clearly not, or all of us who are present and observe the same event would conclude the same thing.

I mean right?!?

For you the signs might mean one thing. For others they might mean the end of days is near. For others like me, y'all are signs of something special. Something very special...
Every "message" is unique to you and no one else.

We could both see "something" and each of us gets a different message from it.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Every "message" is unique to you and no one else.

We could both see "something" and each of us gets a different message from it.
Right. Of course. Break out the Rorschach images and let's see all the many "somethings" we all see!

Thing is though..., are they simply ink blot images? Same paper and black ink for all of us? Or are they the hand of God that you see? The bird that others see? Or is it the Omicron variant that I see?

More at eleven...

Old 11-29-2021, 09:24 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Of course in a forum like this one we also have no judge or jury to decide who among us is the greater victim of confirmation bias and/or who is the more or less objective. ...
I feel sorry for those who can't realize they have confirmation bias. They're the pathetic ones.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am not a particularly empathetic or observant person. I mean, God has to come and basically hit me over the head with something if He wants me to make a significant decision outside the realm of what I'd call "common sense" or "informed decision making." Generally I feel His guidance when I DON'T understand something, such as when my late husband died so unexpectedly. Then I felt His peace and acceptance of it...eventually. At first of course, I was just absolutely shocked. But I always, always felt grounded in my faith if that makes sense. Even in the absolute midst of it.

Anyway, so let's look at when I bought my house and sold "our house." I believe God did give me peace about this huge decision, and I believe He guided people into my life to buy what I needed to sell, and I believe that I bought the house I was supposed to buy and I believe that it's all part of God's ultimate plan for my life. Same with now realizing that I probably cannot go see my daughter in Germany for Christmas, after I bought the expensive ticket round trip. I will get a credit, it will all work out - and why did it happen to begin with? I don't know, and I may never know. To me, that's part of faith - letting go of things that I may never understand and accepting that I may not ever understand the whole picture, though I might (and if so, great). But I do believe there is a bigger plan and that I am just a small part of that plan sometimes.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:47 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Right. Of course. Break out the Rorschach images and let's see all the many "somethings" we all see!

Thing is though..., are they simply ink blot images? Same paper and black ink for all of us? Or are they the hand of God that you see? The bird that others see? Or is it the Omicron variant that I see?

More at eleven...
It only matters what YOU see as a message/signal.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:52 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Given your track record of insisting that my views incorporate the existing absurd and ridiculous views of God in the dominant religions, you are not very good at evaluating the ACTUAL arguments I use.
I do not do this, except where they actually over lap. I deal with YOUR arguments you make. Once again, stop misrepresenting my position.

Quote:
That is the worst kind of misinterpretation.
Correct, you previous sentence is once again misinterpreting my track record.

Quote:
Since your motivation stems from your atheism as the baseline for your evaluations, it is hardly misrepresenting you as not wanting to entertain theism.
No, my motivation stems from using the information we actually have.

Once again, stop misrepresenting my position.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:46 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It only matters what YOU see as a message/signal.
I would think it would be more important to figure out IF it was REALLY a signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality