Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 06:10 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, to me it is BOTH! The mental gymnastics and meaningful words help to understand the purpose of the path and how to transform.
none of that though is putting it into practice and actually living it.
"how to" is not actually doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 06:48 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Oh, I have found that path, Tzaph. It just is not your timeless unchanging path. It is one with a living, growing, comforting, and loving God.
The path is not important, the destination is.
If the god of your conception, your destination, is living and growing and comforting and loving how is he different from you? He is not. Those aspects that you recognize are in you. It is the illumination of your atma/Consciousness.
My point is there is no right or wrong path if it brings you peace and comfort.
With such a loving god within you why do you rage about Advaita? Why does it make you so angry? Be at peace.
I think, Mystic, it is the remnants of your beliefs as a Christian which sees man as born in eternal sin. So to conceive of yourself as the same as the love and truth of god appears blasphemous to you. Your path is Dualism, always dual. Advaita is disturbing to you. Within Hinduism Advaita and dualism coexist, but always different paths and destination.
Importantly there is no Oneness in your path, always duality. God and you.
I dont know why you keep talking about Oneness. You have misunderstood the term. Oneness means there is only one, no other. Not no other god, but no other anything else..

Old 12-29-2021, 08:40 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If the god of your conception, your destination, is living and growing and comforting and loving how is he different from you? He is not. Those aspects that you recognize are in you. It is the illumination of your atma/Consciousness.
With such a loving god within you why do you rage about Advaita? Why does it make you so angry? Be at peace.
I think, Mystic, it is the remnants of your beliefs as a Christian which sees man as born in eternal sin. So to conceive of yourself as the same as the love and truth of god appears blasphemous to you. Your path is Dualism, always dual. Advaita is disturbing to you. Within Hinduism Advaita and dualism coexist, but always different paths and destination.
I dont know why you keep talking about Oneness. You have misunderstood the term. Oneness means there is only one, no other. Not no other god, but no other anything else..
Clearly, my communication skills are inadequate because you and I are NOT on opposite sides of the issue. I am not raging against Advaita nor am I even angry about it. IMO, the rishis got most of it right except for their final conclusions about the composition and characteristics of the Oneness. I have no doubts whatsoever that what I experienced was Oneness because it was unmistakable and direct.

That kind of "knowing" does not require interpretation but can be difficult to accept and reconcile with normal experience and science. It is impossible to reconcile with the ultimate conclusions of the rishis. What characterizes the Oneness in a crowd of diverse individuals performing the Wave at a sporting event is the unity of spirit and purpose. They do not lose their individuality.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Clearly, my communication skills are inadequate because you and I are NOT on opposite sides of the issue. I am not raging against Advaita nor am I even angry about it. IMO, the rishis got most of it right except for their final conclusions about the composition and characteristics of the Oneness. I have no doubts whatsoever that what I experienced was Oneness because it was unmistakable and direct.

That kind of "knowing" does not require interpretation but can be difficult to accept and reconcile with normal experience and science. It is impossible to reconcile with the ultimate conclusions of the rishis. What characterizes the Oneness in a crowd of diverse individuals performing the Wave at a sporting event is the unity of spirit and purpose. They do not lose their individuality.
What you call as Oneness, unity in diversity, is just that, unity in diversity. this is dualism and a respected path of devotion. Advaita is no diversity at all, only one, the same essence of existence in everything. The world of name and forms are your projections. The only existence is Brhman . That is the Oneness of Brhman. Existence Consciousness Peace is what it is, not attributes. this can experienced in meditation and in deep sleep.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
You dont have to follow the philosophy. You need to do nothing. If you think by your contempt for this philosophy you are achieving something important, what is it? Frankly i do not believe you have done ANY serious study of the Advaita Vedanta. Your responses do not indicate any comprehension of it. I also think you have great confusion about what it is you actually believe.
I feel bad for you that you struggle so much when it is not that hard. Be in peace.
Always strikes me as more than a bit disingenuous to suggest someone who expresses counter opinion is somehow not in peace...

Tends to be more of that veering from the points of these matters and back to these rather derogatory assessments with regard to other's peace of mind. I'd like to think no one is really losing any sleep over these differences of opinion in any case. Sure hope not...

Old 12-29-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the point is to know the truth of who we are
How are the rest of us doing far as you are concerned?

Hate to think...

Old 12-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I can agree with that. What is Truth is that which cannot be reduced to its element any further. The essence of things.
Interesting. This is a definition of truth I've not come across before...

Perhaps why we've never really been able to see "eye to eye" about what is truth and what is not?

Old 12-29-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe what you need to know is the difference between and function of adjectives and nouns?
Another head-scratching comment...

Thought I had this simple distinction pretty well down as well. Damn!

Old 12-29-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
sadness that people have different views and ideas than you do?
upset that people have different views and ideas than you do?

that to me sounds like the height of intolerance. that a person would be viscerally affected, physically affected, adversely affected by views and ideas which are different from your own views.

may you find a path of peace.
What's sad is how poorly we understand the source of what causes certain people to believe what they do quite differently from others. Rather than simply accept those fundamental differences that really cannot be reconciled in the ways attempted here, we bicker like children over our differences.

With all this awareness and oneness touted in this thread, you'd think we'd know better than this...

Old 12-29-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Another interesting twist to what I have always heard was most important. Not so much the destination but the journey. I've also heard it said there is no right or wrong path if you don't know where you're going. Like this thread perhaps...

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-29-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality