Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 12:58 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
At least inasmuch as you, a finite being, are able to determine about an omniscient, all holy, omnipotent God.

Again. The very definition of hubris.

I'm sorry. I'm not that arrogant.
Really? You're telling people all about "an omniscient, all holy, omnipotent God", and yet you are a finite being. Very finite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 01:05 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not in my mind, Bf. The very definition of a sadistic monster is one who would create such a place and impose it as punishment on anyone for ANY REASON!!!
Quote:
At least inasmuch as you, a finite being, are able to determine about an omniscient, all holy, omnipotent God.
If being infinitely Holy means imposing infinite unending punishment on anyone for ANY REASON, then I want nothing to do with anyone who is infinitely Holy!!!

Old 12-22-2021, 01:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If being infinitely Holy means imposing infinite unending punishment on anyone for ANY REASON, then I want nothing to do with anyone who is infinitely Holy!!!
Yes. It's obvious.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:08 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are intolerant of people who have different beliefs.

I tried to be a good christian for decades. It just didn't fit.
I wish more Christians would understand that last sentence. I am somewhat in the still-trying stage, but mostly Christianity has brought sadness and loneliness and pain.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:16 PM

884 posts, read 357,284 times
Quote:

Then you must be amazed at the hubris and arrogance of people who are sure God exists, based on some old books.

I could respect the view in your post, if you then acknowledged that you too are unable to determine whether God exists, given your finite being and limited powers of knowledge that come with being human. But that is not you position, is it?

Religion seems to require hypocrisy, of the kind - "how could you know you finite limited human, but I of course do know."

Last edited by Peter600; 12-22-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 01:21 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wish more Christians would understand that last sentence. I am somewhat in the still-trying stage, but mostly Christianity has brought sadness and loneliness and pain.
One of the things that always bothered me about christianity -- always, even at age 8 -- was the idea that you have to believe 'this' or else!

It was fortunate for me -- maybe even my destiny??? -- to travel to Thailand in 1985 or 1986, where I discovered a belief system that never said what you MUST believe. A belief system that didn't try to rope you in, but instead seemed to say, we're here if you need us, but it's it's up to you to seek us out. It was so refreshing when I asked monks, "But what if I don't believe _____?" "Then set that aside. Maybe you'll come back to it later. Maybe not. It's your journey".

Some christians can do that by cherry picking...a way of approaching religion that I heartily agree on, but is often difficult to get into when you are straight-jacketed in a belief system...at least for some.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:27 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
WHO is doing that? Anyone here? I'm not. I don't see anyone that is. I've never known a Christian that does find that to be a good thing.

You should ask yourself why a Christian would not want to rescue those that they loved from an eternity in hell. Instead, we see nonstop attacks on the doctrine, and the idea is presented, as you are seeming to suggest, that anyone that believes in it is a sadistic monster.

Jesus himself warned of judgment and hell. It's not a comfortable, or nice idea, but if we believe Jesus, it's real.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/a...n-anyone-else/
I am not suggesting anything of the sort. So stop that right now. But what I said is true. You should see some of the DMs I've gotten as a mod, my dear. Or in public.

You don't remember one of your fellow sin-and-hell Christians calling me Luciferian filth on the forum? Of course not, you will say. But I am pretty darn sure you would not tell that person they were wrong to say that even if you had.

The problem is not the warning about judgment. It is that it takes precedence over loving your neighbor, which I believe Jesus taught should be the primary focus, not threats.

Watched a 2018 special with Ricky Gervais last night. Over the top and irreverent, as is his way. One of his funniest routines was talking about an email he got from a fundamentalist Christian in Texas telling Ricky how he will someday be laughing while Satan is raping Ricky in hell. He went on with a funny routine about how the Christian will also have to be in hell to witness this fantasy of his.

It was funny, but also sad that this really is Christianity to so many. There is no loving your neighbor in that way of thinking. Lots of judgment though. Not seeing Jesus in it at all.

If you personally knew the person who said that to Ricky Gervais, would you admonish them, as a fellow Christian? Somehow I do not think you would; based only, of course, on the way you present yourself on this forum. (I am aware that you could be Mr. Nice Guy in real life for all we know .)

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-22-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I am not suggesting anything of the sort. So stop that right now. But what I said is true. You should see some of the DMs I've gotten as a mod, my dear. Or in public.

You don't remember one of your fellow sin-and-hell Christians calling me Luciferian filth on the forum?
In all seriousness, no. I don't. I cannot imagine a Christian doing such a thing.
Quote:

Of course not, you will say. But I am pretty darn sure you would not tell that person they were wrong to say that even if you had.
I might have very likely hit the alert button on it if I had.
Quote:

The problem is not the warning about judgment. It is that it takes precedence over loving your neighbor, which I believe Jesus taught should be the primary focus, not threats.
It really does go both ways.
Quote:
Watched a 2018 special with Ricky Gervais last night. Over the top and irreverent, as is his way. One of his funniest routines was talking about an email he got from a fundamentalist Christian in Texas telling Ricky how he will someday be laughing while Satan is raping Ricky in hell. He went on with a funny routine about how the Christian will also have to be in hell to witness this fantasy of his.
Now here is the issue that I have with that. We have no idea who or what the guy that sent that email actually believes. But it's easy to assume that since he told Ricky he'd be in hell, well he MUST believe exactly as anyone else that mentions hell believes. It's easy to stereotype all of us as believing that way.
Quote:
It was funny, but also sad that this really is Christianity to so many. There is no loving your neighbor in that way of thinking. Lots of judgment though. Not seeing Jesus in it at all.
I'm sorry that some wingnut told Ricky that. I really am. I can't imagine saying such a thing.
Quote:
If you personally knew the person who said that to Ricky Gervais, would you admonish them, as a fellow Christian? Somehow I do not think you would; based only, of course, on the way you present yourself on this forum. (I am aware that you could be Mr. Nice Guy in real life for all we know .)
Yes. I would. And I'm sorry that you think I would not. Nothing I've said would reasonably lead you to believe I would not. THAT is the issue I have with you and others being quick to judge.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Then you must be amazed at the hubris and arrogance of people who are sure God exists, based on some old books.
ok?
Quote:
I could respect the view in your post, if you then acknowledged that you too are unable to determine whether God exists, given your finite being and limited powers of knowledge that come with being human. But that is not you position, is it?
Actually, simple observation of the physical world tells us that a creator exists. Who that creator is can certainly be discussed, though. And no, I don't believe that I can tell you who God is based on limited knowledge

I know God exists because it's logical that a creator exists. I know who God is because he has revealed himself.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:18 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
I get it, MQ. It was a tough adjustment. It took me a long time not to feel what you are describing. It helps me to believe that we are all connected though, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, trees and plants, animals, birds, all of it. Sometimes I can almost feel the life emanating from a tree when I walk by it. I am the quintessential tree hugger, lol, and have actually gotten quite a bit of comfort by doing that. I also love being surrounded by birds and nature, as it helps me not to feel alone.

I know you go to an Episcopalian church, as do I. Our priest recites a saying every week at the close of the service and for me it wraps up everything that we should all be about. It goes: "My friends, life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who make the journey with us. So be swift to love and make haste to be kind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality