Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 05:54 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,429 times

Advertisements

Im stuck in the spare bedroom with covid while the family is home in the evening. Fortunately I have a computer in there so I have been doing a LOT of surfing. One of the things I found was jokes about religion. I found them mostly spot on.

*Pascals Wager: It is safer to believe in God even if there is no proof one exists.
Homer Simpsons wager: Suppose we choose the wrong God. Every time we go to church we make God madder and madder.

*The only war on Christmas conducted in the US was by Christians. From 1659 to 1681 the Puritans outlawed Christmas

* The fact that we ended slavery shows that our morals come from within us and not from God.Many religions, including Judaism and Christianity, endorsed slavery. However we, the human race, decided slavery was immoral and ended it. No God or religion needed.

*How do you tell a real God from an invented one? Seriously.

*If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and no one remembered it, it would never be recreated the same way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all science were wiped out, humans would find a way to figure it all out again.

I have also heard the above worded, "if all religion disappeared without a trace, it would never be recreated in the scientific age. If all science was made to disappear, humans would rebuild it exactly as it is now because its just about how the universe works. "

Last edited by NatesDude; 12-28-2021 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 06:19 PM

This is from my own state, in our constitution.

* Sec 4. Religious tests. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State. Nor shall anyone be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments , provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

In other words, there is no religious test, as long as you are religious

*The Flood. If at first you dont succeed, kill everyone

* Demand money with threats of violence and you will get arrested. Do it with the threat of eternal damnation, and its tax deductible

* Christian: Whats it like to be an atheist?
Atheist:"Do you believe in Thor or Vishnu ?
Christian: No!
Atheist: Its like that.

* American Christians have a phrase they use. You can be having a regular lucid conversation with them, and all of a sudden you will hear "Its Gods plan ". And that means "I'm done thinking".

* Name a scientific theory that was later replaced with a supernatural explanation. Go ahead and take your time. We will wait.

*Reason is the greatest enemy faith has

The above was actually on a church sign of the sort churches are always putting cute sayings on. In other words, thinking is harmful to faith. Just believe and dont think too hard about it. No doubt a fundamentalist church

The below is an actual Tweet from a Christian:

* My sister in law died in a fire. Her Bible was beside her bed on a stand. Not a burn mark on the Bible. Awesome. A miracle from God.

What the heck???

Last edited by NatesDude; 12-28-2021 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 07:24 PM

*Diseases eradicated or largely controlled

By science

1)Chicken pox
2)Diphtheria
3) Polio
4)Measles
5) smallpox
6) Pneumococcal disease
7) Pertussis
8)Tetanus
9) typhoid fever
10)yellow fever
11) rabies

By religion
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

* I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous, if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

*With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

*Franklin Graham on

Bill Clinton: Mr Clintons extramarital sexual behavior now concerns him and the rest of the world. If he will lie to or mislead his wife and daughter, what will prevent him from doing the same to the American public?

Donald Trump: I think some of these things, that's for him and his wife to deal with, and I think the same with Stormy Daniels and so forth is nobody's business.

Last edited by NatesDude; 12-28-2021 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 07:36 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
*Diseases eradicated or largely controlled

By science

1)Chicken pox
2)Diphtheria
3) Polio
4)Measles
5) smallpox
6) Pneumococcal disease
7) Pertussis
8)Tetanus
9) typhoid fever
10)yellow fever
11) rabies

By religion
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Such a simple truth.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:23 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
* My sister in law died in a fire. Her Bible was beside her bed on a stand. Not a burn mark on the Bible. Awesome. A miracle from God.

What the heck???
Hey, not everyone cares about their sister-in-law!

Old 12-28-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hey, not everyone cares about their sister-in-law!
LOL. Maybe so. Praise God Rosemary bit the dust!

I once was involved in a discussion with a theist on another now defunct religious forum. The guy posted a story about an airplane crash in which all aboard, some 167 people or so, died, except for an infant. He actually proposed it as proof that God does miracles today. God couldn't save the other 167 people, but It could save the infant that just happened to be strapped into a car seat that was itself strapped into the airplane seat and which put the infant below the level of the top of the seats all around it.

Fundamentalist minds simply function differently.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:34 PM

* God is omnipotent and knows everything. But the Jews had to mark their doors with lambs blood so God wouldn't accidentally kill the wrong babies

*Philosophy: Questions that may never be answered.
Religion: Answers that must never be questioned.

*In science you dont just get to cherry pick the parts that justify what you were going to do anyway. Thats religion. You are thinking of religion.

* Should schools teach atheism? No. There is no need to teach atheism. It is the natural result of education without indoctrination.

* True morality. Doing what is right without the threat of divine retribution nor the possibility of divine reward.

*If you can accept an explanation of a God without a creator, then you can accept an explanation of a universe without a creator.

Last edited by NatesDude; 12-28-2021 at 09:45 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 10:43 PM

895 posts, read 475,692 times
King David took a census, sorry 70,000 of you have to die, go complain to your King

Old 12-29-2021, 08:40 PM

* If the story of Noah was not part of the Bible, Christians would laugh at anyone who believed it. If the story of the 3 Little Pigs was in the Bible, Christians would believe it.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:44 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
* If the story of Noah was not part of the Bible, Christians would laugh at anyone who believed it. If the story of the 3 Little Pigs was in the Bible, Christians would believe it.
very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality