Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 11,593 times

Advertisements

Years ago I was talking to this girl. I come from a poor background. I was in college going through a tough time with my mom and me and my twin brother wanting to leave our hometown and move to New York City. She suggested I speak with her godfather. I give her my number and her godfather calls me.

He's a businessman from Baltimore and graduated with a Masters at Clemson University. As we are talking, he tells me "You and your twin brother's life is bigger than where you live, you don't belong there." Mind you I never told him we wanted to move out of my hometown. He would tell me "Its something your get from inside and that's how I feel about you." He goes on to say "You are going to get your family out of poverty"

Fast forward years later, My twin brother is visiting New Orleans and there was a lady speaking at Jackson Square quoting bible scriptures. She looks at him and says "baby I don't know you, but something tells me you are a leader." She asks how many brothers does he have, He says 5 including a twin brother. (which is me) She goes on to say "Its going to be you or your twin brother who will be get your family out of poverty. You or him will be the head and not the tail and will lend and not borrow"

My brother told me he started to cry because he remembered the guy from Baltimore told him the same thing.

Is this a Prophecy? or should I take this with a grain of salt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 05:13 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
It's what's called a "cold read" which is not inherently a bad thing but is used both by hucksters and professionals. Some people are just intuitive and can pick up on certain characteristics and extrapolate pretty well from them. My wife is super-intuitive and will tell me things about people where I say, how can you say that with so little info? But she is invariably correct. I've learned to trust it.

Also, when people who are full of BS meet her, they are invariably uneasy because they sense that she sees right through it. And she does. She keeps her lip zipped and doesn't out them or anything and is invariably kind, but they just know they can't get one over on her.

I would say she's above average in reading social cues and reading people ... and I'm below average.

The two people you're talking about are probably way above average.

And they are probably right. I don't classify that as a "prophecy" but just an intuitive best guess about what is likely to happen and what you're capable of.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:29 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's what's called a "cold read" which is not inherently a bad thing but is used both by hucksters and professionals. Some people are just intuitive and can pick up on certain characteristics and extrapolate pretty well from them. My wife is super-intuitive and will tell me things about people where I say, how can you say that with so little info? But she is invariably correct. I've learned to trust it.

Also, when people who are full of BS meet her, they are invariably uneasy because they sense that she sees right through it. And she does. She keeps her lip zipped and doesn't out them or anything and is invariably kind, but they just know they can't get one over on her.

I would say she's above average in reading social cues and reading people ... and I'm below average.

The two people you're talking about are probably way above average.

And they are probably right. I don't classify that as a "prophecy" but just an intuitive best guess about what is likely to happen and what you're capable of.
Such reading tends to be gender-specific I suspect primarily because women in a male dominant world have had to be silent and communicate nonverbally for millennia. I have always maintained that a typical male in conversation with two or more females has absolutely no clue what is actually being talked about. I remember typically discussing with my wife what happened at a social gathering we attended together and my not recognizing her version of events at all. We were essentially at two very different gatherings.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:47 PM

895 posts, read 475,692 times
I'd add that over generalized 'prophesies' are super easy to land, and frequently, because people's self-centered need to be special, propels them to attribute far more merit than is objectively justified.

These jokers like to say things that apply to everyone, but feel mystical and intimate. Like, "you've been hurt", "you're moving forward to something new", "there are things coming your way no one could have predicted", "you're a good person even though some people say you're not". Etc. They are like fortune cookies, but with a compelling presentation.

Then the listener thinks, "Wow, they just read my mail!"

Old 01-08-2022, 02:19 PM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLuvAfterUrPain View Post
You should go see Nightmare Alley. In other words, grain of salt. Likely, if you want to succeed, you'll have to work for it.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:11 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Such reading tends to be gender-specific I suspect primarily because women in a male dominant world have had to be silent and communicate nonverbally for millennia. I have always maintained that a typical male in conversation with two or more females has absolutely no clue what is actually being talked about. I remember typically discussing with my wife what happened at a social gathering we attended together and my not recognizing her version of events at all. We were essentially at two very different gatherings.

Yes

Old 01-08-2022, 03:14 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Years ago I was talking to this girl. I come from a poor background. I was in college going through a tough time with my mom and me and my twin brother wanting to leave our hometown and move to New York City. She suggested I speak with her godfather. I give her my number and her godfather calls me.

He's a businessman from Baltimore and graduated with a Masters at Clemson University. As we are talking, he tells me "You and your twin brother's life is bigger than where you live, you don't belong there." Mind you I never told him we wanted to move out of my hometown. He would tell me "Its something your get from inside and that's how I feel about you." He goes on to say "You are going to get your family out of poverty"

Fast forward years later, My twin brother is visiting New Orleans and there was a lady speaking at Jackson Square quoting bible scriptures. She looks at him and says "baby I don't know you, but something tells me you are a leader." She asks how many brothers does he have, He says 5 including a twin brother. (which is me) She goes on to say "Its going to be you or your twin brother who will be get your family out of poverty. You or him will be the head and not the tail and will lend and not borrow"

My brother told me he started to cry because he remembered the guy from Baltimore told him the same thing.

Who cares? Did it all come true?

Old 01-08-2022, 08:19 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
All we need is some direction
Every time the wind blows, everything you don't know
Turns into a revelation
And it all adds up inside your head

Time is wasting

Audioslave

Set it off

Old 01-12-2022, 08:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:

If I was you, I would've insisted to provide me with the next Jackpot winning power ball numbers. That would've sped up the prophecy.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:16 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Grain of salt. Maybe something like this may work if it gets someone working toward a goal and thinking it is possible, but other than that, grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality