Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:38 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah...by this logic there is no such thing as a "friend" or a "hero" because it's the all just the same people and most don't consider those a "friend" or "hero" to them.
Perception can denote existence & truth in many cases.
You all need to get hip to that...then you will come to greater understanding.
My last throw for the day before I go now...

I can't begin to guess how my logic leads to the conclusion(s) you draw. I've got friends and I've got heroes, and no two people are the same! So, again I find your reason and logic that has you concluding what you do neither reasonable or logical. Are we back to confusing the difference between subjectivity and objectivity? When we are applying one or the other? I really don't know, but the confusion of whatever sort, whatever the source, is obvious and apparently inevitable when it comes to you and I "comparing notes" about such things.

Perception is "the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses." Perception can be either accurate or not. One person might perceive a threat where another person won't. One person might perceive they are being logical when really they are not. One person might think they are a friend or a hero to others when really they are not. Some of these cases are a matter of subjectivity. Not objective truths. Other questions are possible to answer with objective truths, though there are always people who will make an effort to bury the truth for all variety of reasons. Still, our universal truth remains the same, same for all of us. In some cases easy to establish. In other cases impossible to determine "beyond a reasonable doubt." And in between a wide spectrum to consider one way or another. Again for all of us to judge as we will.

In just about every case, I believe the right or wrong about these perceptions can be considered, evaluated and judged upon. As we all do. No matter some of us will judge differently, one way or another. There is always the right or wrong when it comes to what is true and what is not. Perception can indeed "denote existence & truth in many cases" in the same way, but we've also got to recognize in many cases it won't. We've all got to recognize what causes our different perceptions about the same things. How all perceptions are not equal. Not necessarily valid.

Up to us to judge when, where, how and why. Ideally in an intelligent manner. Here's to all we can do along those lines as best our abilities will allow us! Because the truth matters. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 11:39 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You added to your post but if you are telling me you do not believe there is something wrong with atheists then I have to take you at your word.
is that an apology for accusing Tzap falsely? Nicely done!

Old 03-25-2022, 03:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reading your comment here and some of the others reminds me of this comment I posted in another thread yesterday...

"I sincerely believe I have experienced the same sort of experiences, both small and large, and I also sincerely believe we all have different ways of assessing and categorizing these experiences for all variety of different personal reasons...

That all of us don't recognize this basic truth is a little odd far as I'm concerned, but "par for the course" of course. We see the evidence of this simple truth in how people react to all sorts of shared experiences. Music, for example.

Some people can hear a piece of music and think nothing of it. Others will hear something very special. Maybe even something "spiritual" or "heavenly" or "moving." What we fail to realize is it's all the same experience, but how we react and/or interpret these experiences is a very personal matter.

What we feel about these experiences does not at all necessarily or accurately establish the source of these experiences. Or the truth about these experiences. Not to understand this is not to understand human nature."
It seems that this post supports the view that people are not defined by their experiences or the behaviors they exhibit.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It seems that this post supports the view that people are not defined by their experiences or the behaviors they exhibit.
I'm not sure how you read or understand my comment the way you do, but I wouldn't say people "are defined" by their experiences or behaviors" in any case. Not entirely anyway. There is much that goes into who we become. No one thing. Our DNA. Our upbringing. Our life experiences. Our intellect. Our education. Family, friends. Our emotions, etc. Because we are all different as a result of all these influences, we react to all manner of stimuli in different ways. Music, beauty, threats (perceived or real), nature, people, religion, politics and on and on...

Anyone disagree with any of this?

Old 03-26-2022, 04:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you read or understand my comment the way you do, but I wouldn't say people "are defined" by their experiences or behaviors" in any case. Not entirely anyway. There is much that goes into who we become. No one thing. Our DNA. Our upbringing. Our life experiences. Our intellect. Our education. Family, friends. Our emotions, etc. Because we are all different as a result of all these influences, we react to all manner of stimuli in different ways. Music, beauty, threats (perceived or real), nature, people, religion, politics and on and on...

Anyone disagree with any of this?
Sorry, Learme. I'm not sure where I was going with that.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Sorry, Learme. I'm not sure where I was going with that.
Please, elyn, no worries whatsoever! Really.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:52 AM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Title of this thread and OP is on how to separate what is true from what is not.
The OP calls this "The Truth vs The Lies"

Here is an example from this forum, using the posts from the author of the OP to illustrate. Specific examples work best to illustrate so here they are.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-27-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-28-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Title of this thread and OP is on how to separate what is true from what is not.
The OP calls this "The Truth vs The Lies"

Here is an example from this forum, using the posts from the author of the OP to illustrate. Specific examples work best to illustrate so here they are.
My my how this issue has you on a tear lately. Let me try again...

Though I think it might have been better to title this thread something like "The Truth vs the Falsehoods," the difference between lies and falsehoods is not such a stretch that the basic importance of the truth should be subverted by these other kinds of petty complaints.

True, of course, lies implies bad intent. The intention to mislead, while falsehoods can be uttered by innocent people who simply don't know better. Literally don't KNOW better. No need to name names, but when the same thing needs to be explained over and over again without any sign of better comprehension on the receiving end, it's hard not to conclude confirmation bias hasn't worked it's magic yet again. AKA the lost cause.

The truth is important, and I've got no intention of misleading anyone about this truth in any case.

Can we stop rolling around in these weeds now? Truth is..., we've got more important and interesting things to consider and comment about.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:30 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
My my how this issue has you on a tear lately. Let me try again...

Though I think it might have been better to title this thread something like "The Truth vs the Falsehoods," the difference between lies and falsehoods is not such a stretch that the basic importance of the truth should be subverted by these other kinds of petty complaints.

True, of course, lies implies bad intent. The intention to mislead, while falsehoods can be uttered by innocent people who simply don't know better. Literally don't KNOW better. No need to name names, but when the same thing needs to be explained over and over again without any sign of better comprehension on the receiving end, it's hard not to conclude confirmation bias hasn't worked it's magic yet again. AKA the lost cause.

The truth is important, and I've got no intention of misleading anyone about this truth in any case.

Can we stop rolling around in these weeds now? Truth is..., we've got more important and interesting things to consider and comment about.
bold above = the opening post and thread topic.
the lost cause is the distorted premise put forth in the OP. it is itself an apt example of (in the words of the OP) "in order to pursue misguided agendas"

Old 03-29-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above = the opening post and thread topic.
the lost cause is the distorted premise put forth in the OP. it is itself an apt example of (in the words of the OP) "in order to pursue misguided agendas"
Well one thing I do know about lost causes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality