Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 08:25 AM

51,242 posts, read 24,704,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, the many pictures of Jesus that I've seen would suggest that He, anyway, was Scandinavian. Not sure about the Apostles.
Jeffrey Hunter was Scottish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 08:35 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,942,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
We all know the early Christians were Europeans who had previously been Pagans or Polytheistic.

As a compromise to secure this group and convert them to Christianity, the had to incorporate Pegan traditions, rituals, calendars, etc. that became synonymous with the Christian religion.

Some obvious Pagan traditions Christians adopted are:

Halloween? Where did the costumes come from?

Easter (Celebration of Spring) to death and resurrection of Jesus. Where did the Bunny and eggs come from?

Christmas tree? Pegan origins?

Roman calendar named after the Roman Gods.

What else?

Santa Claus/St. Nicholas- Is this a combination of honoring a Catholic Saint with Pegan Winter rituals?
St. Valentine's Day- I think Catholic but is it?
St. Patrick's Day- A Catholic Saint but does it share Pegan traditions?

The encyclopedias are filled with info on the pagan false god worship additives into the worlds celebrations. Jesus taught to be no part of this world. As well 1Cor 10:21--teaches- one cannot partake off of Gods table and the table of demons. Many are being mislead into doing both. But to God no matter what one thinks they are doing for him counts 0 if they as well partake off the table of demons.
In the chaldean rites of spring-The false Goddess associaiated with that holiday( dyed eggs of Pasch-hot cross buns)=Astarte( beltis) the queen of heaven=Ishtar. pronounced-easter.
The saturnalia festival-worship to the son. late december celebration-feasting and the exchanging of gifts. This was turned into christmas.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 AM

16,762 posts, read 15,812,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The encyclopedias are filled with info on the pagan false god worship additives into the worlds celebrations. Jesus taught to be no part of this world. As well 1Cor 10:21--teaches- one cannot partake off of Gods table and the table of demons. Many are being mislead into doing both. But to God no matter what one thinks they are doing for him counts 0 if they as well partake off the table of demons.
In the chaldean rites of spring-The false Goddess associaiated with that holiday( dyed eggs of Pasch-hot cross buns)=Astarte( beltis) the queen of heaven=Ishtar. pronounced-easter.
The saturnalia festival-worship to the son. late december celebration-feasting and the exchanging of gifts. This was turned into christmas.
Do you believe that people celebrating Christmas really believe that they are actually celebrating Saturnalia and the sun (not son)?

Do you believe that people celebrating Easter actually believe they are remembering Isthar instead of the crucifixion and resurrection?

Hint: It is impossible to celebrate something of which you have no knowledge.

It doesn't matter what the encyclopedia says about the origins. Christians celebrating Christmas and Easter are celebrating Jesus. Those nut cases at the Watchtower have filled your head with garbage.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-05-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 09:48 AM

64,103 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Do you believe that people celebrating Christmas really believe that they are actually celebrating Saturnalia and the sun (not son)?

Do you believe that people celebrating Easter actually believe they are remembering Isthar instead of the crucifixion and resurrection?

It doesn't matter what the encyclopedia says about the origins. Christians celebrating Christmas and Easter are celebrating Jesus. Those nut cases are the Watchtower have filled your head with garbage.
I don't know how ANY SANE AND INTELLIGENT person can believe that we can celebrate ANYTHING we do NOT INTEND to celebrate!!! It is absurdly preposterous even to consider it!!! You can NOT unintentionally celebrate or worship what you do not intend to celebrate or worship.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:49 AM

51,242 posts, read 24,704,719 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what the encyclopedia says about the origins. Christians celebrating Christmas and Easter are celebrating Jesus. Those nut cases are the Watchtower have filled your head with garbage.
Well...yes and no.

The family (both sides) were all (but one) christians, and the celebration of Christmas was pretty much all secular, as was the celebration of Easter.

In Thailand, the big stores and malls were all decorated for Christmas, even though christians make up less than 1% of the population (about 96% Buddhist and 3% Muslim). My Thai friends always did something for Christmas, as did my Muslim friends here in the States. I always celebrated Thai holidays even when I wasn't clear what they were for.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:37 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
We all know the early Christians were Europeans who had previously been Pagans or Polytheistic.

As a compromise to secure this group and convert them to Christianity, the had to incorporate Pegan traditions, rituals, calendars, etc. that became synonymous with the Christian religion.

Some obvious Pagan traditions Christians adopted are:

Halloween? Where did the costumes come from?

Easter (Celebration of Spring) to death and resurrection of Jesus. Where did the Bunny and eggs come from?

Christmas tree? Pegan origins?

Roman calendar named after the Roman Gods.

What else?

Santa Claus/St. Nicholas- Is this a combination of honoring a Catholic Saint with Pegan Winter rituals?
St. Valentine's Day- I think Catholic but is it?
St. Patrick's Day- A Catholic Saint but does it share Pegan traditions?
So?
It was what it was...now it is what it is.
And the Adherents worship/celebrate what they do...each with their own understanding, interpretations, and intentions.
I doubt many (if any) current Christians are thinking along the lines of a Pagan vibe when they worship/celebrate their Beliefs/Faith.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,503 times
Quote:

"Nut cases"..."garbage"?!!!!!
Kinda brutal man! Wow!
But it did crack me up. You've got the shillelagh out today!

Old 02-05-2022, 11:48 AM

88,951 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well...yes and no.

The family (both sides) were all (but one) christians, and the celebration of Christmas was pretty much all secular, as was the celebration of Easter.

In Thailand, the big stores and malls were all decorated for Christmas, even though christians make up less than 1% of the population (about 96% Buddhist and 3% Muslim). My Thai friends always did something for Christmas, as did my Muslim friends here in the States. I always celebrated Thai holidays even when I wasn't clear what they were for.
My Christian friend from Ghana said that in her country, the 12 days of Christmas are celebrated with endless parties, and the Muslims all join in. At Ramadan, Christians often join in the fasting, although more for health or weight loss reasons. But since friends and coworkers are fasting during the day, some of them do it too.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:51 AM

88,951 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So?
It was what it was...now it is what it is.
And the Adherents worship/celebrate what they do...each with their own understanding, interpretations, and intentions.
I doubt many (if any) current Christians are thinking along the lines of a Pagan vibe when they worship/celebrate their Beliefs/Faith.
Yeah, I am.often perplexed when people start these threads, as if they are providing some new discovery that everybody doesn't already know.

Some of the lesser-known practices are informative, though. Like wedding rings, which are pagan. SDA Christians don't wear them for that reason.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,357,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My Christian friend from Ghana said that in her country, the 12 days of Christmas are celebrated with endless parties, and the Muslims all join in. At Ramadan, Christians often join in the fasting, although more for health or weight loss reasons. But since friends and coworkers are fasting during the day, some of them do it too.
As an atheist I never understood peoples refusal to either recognize or celebrate a holiday that was not their own. For example my late MIL avoided any mention of celebrating Christmas whereas myself as an atheistic Jew went totally alone with it because it was a tradition with the rest of her family. I do not know if the rest of her family beliefvin God nor does it matter.

I see no difference between taking part in a celebration in the holidaybof someone elses religious holiday than taking part inbthe national celebrations of another country or in St Patricks Day though I do not need green beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality