Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 09:49 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I believe, from what I have gathered from the athiests collective wisdom in these parts, offering a prayer for them is the ultimate threat. Something a terrorist should keep in his tool kit.
Once again you prove that you only read what you want to read and ignore what atheists actually post. Maybe it is you that needs words like threat, rude, disrespect or terrorist explsined to you or maybe you just prefer to live in your own World of make believe (I am not referring to your belief in a God or in your faith in this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 09:59 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
I believe, from what I have gathered from the athiests collective wisdom in these parts, offering a prayer for them is the ultimate threat. Something a terrorist should keep in his tool kit.
It is usually impertinent in my view. But personally it doesn't perturb me. To whatever extent it perturbs many atheists who post here, it probably has to do with their abreaction to the constant stream of micro-aggressions against people of different or no faith, by persons of the dominant faith in any one locale.

As an evangelical Christian, my take on it was, I don't see why anyone would not want me to pray for them, but I don't have a need to proclaim that I'm praying for them to begin with. I took the "pray in secret" think seriously.

Finally, I don't think anyone has risen to the level of portraying prayer as some sort of "ultimate" threat. They simply don't like it. It's an invasion of privacy and meddling and often condescending. That is the message being conveyed. But existential threat? Hardly.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:43 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Obviously you haven't absorbed our collective wisdom or you are simply incapable of a degree of nuance in our posts.

Because I am facing a serious medical issue, I posted something online on a local forum (not CD) for information from locals about the issue. I had a flood of responses, and quite a few people said they are praying for me. Didn't bother me a bit for a very simple reason (although one that is apparently too complex for you to understand): they don't know I'm an atheist because my post had nothing to do with religion. I didn't ask them not to pray for me. So their intent was positive and in no way disrespected my personal wishes...which they don't know. That's a helluva lot different from asking a person to not pray for me and having that person do it anyways just for spite. Honestly, you need to think through things more carefully.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Once again you prove that you only read what you want to read and ignore what atheists actually post. Maybe it is you that needs words like threat, rude, disrespect or terrorist explsined to you or maybe you just prefer to live in your own World of make believe (I am not referring to your belief in a God or in your faith in this)
She has never shown any respect to an atheist.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is usually impertinent in my view. But personally it doesn't perturb me. To whatever extent it perturbs many atheists who post here, it probably has to do with their abreaction to the constant stream of micro-aggressions against people of different or no faith, by persons of the dominant faith in any one locale.

As an evangelical Christian, my take on it was, I don't see why anyone would not want me to pray for them, but I don't have a need to proclaim that I'm praying for them to begin with. I took the "pray in secret" think seriously.

Finally, I don't think anyone has risen to the level of portraying prayer as some sort of "ultimate" threat. They simply don't like it. It's an invasion of privacy and meddling and often condescending. That is the message being conveyed. But existential threat? Hardly.
The bolded -- exactly. It's so simple.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
She has never shown any respect to an atheist.
And she demands all religious views and posters be respected. Perhaps she does not understand that disrespectful posters do not automatically deserve respect.

Or maybe it is just an attemot at humour?

Old 04-17-2022, 11:45 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I never thought much about atheists before my exposure to this forum. I realize now how tough it must be to be assailed with prayers and blessings and good will and what not from folks around. Gives a new meaning to snowflakes. What grade would this be compared to say being stopped to be searched because you are black and moving? Women-handling such as Trump's favorite move ? Muslim hate? Hindu dot-buster hate?

Old 04-17-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I never thought much about atheists before my exposure to this forum. I realize now how tough it must be to be assailed with prayers and blessings and good will and what not from folks around. Gives a new meaning to snowflakes. What grade would this be compared to say being stopped to be searched because you are black and moving? Women-handling such as Trump's favorite move ? Muslim hate? Hindu dot-buster hate?
You don't think much about atheists while you're in this forum.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
As I said you live in a made up World that is only in your mind. Hate is your projection.

The difference between being black while moving and atheists feeling assulted by prayers is the former is real and may end up in a fatal result and the other is not actually real. For a person wholikes ti derail topics into concern about racism it is disappointing that you are minimizing or mocking of racism.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:12 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Ah, the classic "X is worse than Y, so why should anyone complain about Y?" inanity...

It also has squat to do with your absurd claim that atheists consider prayer om the behalf to be the 'ultimate threat'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality