Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 02:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah, and that's why there is the contrast between the old covenant (Judaism, for the few) and the new (Christianity, for all).

God knew it was time for a huge change. He "got it" (all the brutality yes, sacrifices, slaughtering of neighboring groups, etc.), and knew it was time to end all that, and bring peace within and for our brothers. At least, that was his intention. Leave it to mankind to often choose otherwise with stupid wars and childishness.

You can't stop with the OT / old ways and let that be the end of the story. And new day dawned afterwards, and we're still there, not yesterday. People can choose that or not of course, but were not stuck in the previous dark ages.
The points that you brought up do not support the picture of a loving god (perfect love), all wise (perfectly), and omniscient. He this higher lifeform as portrayed in the Bible exists, that person is not of such high intelligence and caring.

In the Bible this being stablished laws that were very cruel. Actually, when we think about it, we humans have come up with more human concepts. Example: In war he ordered women and children be exterminated. However, we as imperfect human being came up a Geneva Convention to treat combatants and noncombatants in a more humane way.

Even in the treatment of animals. I do agree that if an individual committed a sin, he has to kill an innocent bull or sheet to atone the misdeeds of that guy. The poor animal did not misbehave, the guy did! I have no problem if an animal is killed for food, but not to make-up for some jerk's behavior.

What did this higher life form do when King David had an affair with a married woman and then made sure her husband die in battle? How did he punish the guilty parties of an adulterous affair? He not only killed the baby; he made sure the baby suffered cruelly and then die!

Go to the flood account. Do you truly believe there was no good people besides Noah and his family? I am sure a lot of children died in that flood. Then what did he say at the end of chapter 8 in Genesis? His words of regret by saying he will never do the same on account of man. He said "Never again will I curse the ground on man's account...and never again will I strike down every living thing as I have done." Well, too late, isn't it? Did he now know what would happen with a flood?

"He "got it."? That means that this creator was not so perfect because he learned and later changed things to make it better, correct?

Looks like his ethical values have changed as time went by.

You have a great day.
elamigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 06:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's how I see it too. I think we are hard wired thru empathy to connect with each other unless something goes wrong within the mind. I don't think it matters what it's called but conscience sounded neutral enough.
Yes. That's consistent with Romans 1. We all know God, we know what he's commanded. But we rejected him.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:42 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
It is good to know the lesson of Rahab the Canaanite woman who did not place herself between God and the blessing of God upon Abraham's offspring. Rather she covered for the two sent to check out the land as they were being hunted, so they could return with the report.

Rahab is also in the line of David.

The Amalekites attacked the weakest and those who lagged behind when the children of Israel were on their way to the fulfillment of God's blessing of Abraham. Placing themselves between God and Abraham's blessing.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:50 AM

78 posts, read 27,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBruno23 View Post
Navigating along the spiritual journey, I've come to really enjoy perspectives that contrast those I was taught growing up. This video in particular was insightful, and I've found value in the common sense delivery of Sam Harris... (etc.)
So I decided to watch the video (all 5 minutes), and I'm not too impressed.

Right off the bat...
"If you were to draw your to-do list, out of a book like Leviticus, you would make Mullah Omar of the Taliban look like [FDR]

So in other words, if you use the Bible for something it was never intended to be used for, you get bad results?

Old 07-21-2022, 09:59 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHJ7 View Post
So I decided to watch the video (all 5 minutes), and I'm not too impressed.

Right off the bat...
"If you were to draw your to-do list, out of a book like Leviticus, you would make Mullah Omar of the Taliban look like [FDR]

So in other words, if you use the Bible for something it was never intended to be used for, you get bad results?
Perhaps.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's how I see it too. I think we are hard wired thru empathy to connect with each other unless something goes wrong within the mind. I don't think it matters what it's called but conscience sounded neutral enough.
Some are better wired than others is all. Whether religious or not, sympathy and/or empathy is something some people have more or less than others. We all know of people at both ends of that spectrum...

Old 07-21-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What a lovely christian attitide. Just like Christ would have expressed it.
A lot of people, religious people no exception, will take exception to being asked to prove what they claim to be the truth. Doesn't always inspire the best of attitudes, but of course when someone says they believe this or that, while we/others don't. What to do?

For the most part we can't really do much other than to recognize and accept what others believe and leave it at that. Simply agree to disagree "kiss your sister" sort of thing. Of course.

Or, with consenting adults, we can have a discussion about whether differing beliefs can be better justified beyond personal say so. If yes, questions and answers are bound to be part of that process. If not to ask for proof, at least to explain why ANYONE else should rightfully believe the same thing(s). Or why not?

I suppose the why not, is because no matter the effort or approach, the result will rarely be anything more than what comes from pounding sand. Maybe that's why that response is as good as any other...

Old 07-21-2022, 10:24 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A lot of people, religious people no exception, will take exception to being asked to prove what they claim to be the truth. Doesn't always inspire the best of attitudes, but of course when someone says they believe this or that, while we/others don't. What to do?

For the most part we can't really do much other than to recognize and accept what others believe and leave it at that. Simply agree to disagree "kiss your sister" sort of thing. Of course.

Or, with consenting adults, we can have a discussion about whether differing beliefs can be better justified beyond personal say so. If yes, questions and answers are bound to be part of that process. If not to ask for proof, at least to explain why ANYONE else should rightfully believe the same thing(s). Or why not?

I suppose the why not, is because no matter the effort or approach, the result will rarely be anything more than what comes from pounding sand. Maybe that's why that response is as good as any other...
I think the context is important, and in this case I'm talking about the context of the situation.

When someone comes up to me out in public, someone I don't know (as in proselytizing) and says they are a christian and lalalalalalalala, my attitude is that I could care less what you are religiously. Of no interest to me. But now that you've forced your POV on me...

Old 07-21-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the context is important, and in this case I'm talking about the context of the situation.

When someone comes up to me out in public, someone I don't know (as in proselytizing) and says they are a christian and lalalalalalalala, my attitude is that I could care less what you are religiously. Of no interest to me. But now that you've forced your POV on me...
That sort of thing doesn't happen at all often to me, and in person with a person like that, I'm more inclined to just keep walking...

In the context of this forum, however, it also depends on who you are dealing with and the circumstances, but I'm not sure the results are all that different either way. I just like to remind folks that it isn't always just about the right or wrong of what you believe personally. It's also about the right or wrong at a more macro level of being a part of anything. Matters in terms of the ultimate right or wrong of our thinking and doing. Call it morality, Biblical or otherwise. Not sure how "moral" it is to get behind beliefs that do harm to others one way or another. To one extent or another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality