Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 09:31 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
[color="Purple"]

Again it was not just me who thought you meant something different then what you were saying , so how does that make me stubborn or obstinate? If you are going to say I am you would have to say Micheal is also.
Why, why, why?

Because no matter how many times I tell you otherwise about what you (or Michael) might have understood my comment(s) to mean, or how many times I try to further explain, elaborate or clarify, you insist anyway. That's what I call stubborn and obstinate. Or, you could more reasonably, finally, simply note that now you better understand why I am simply not entirely on board why you or some scientists might refer to observations about the universe as "finely tuned," and/or simply, finally, realize that I don't discount the possibility of a multiverse. That's why.

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-11-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Psychology may be less frustrating and more enlightening if what makes people "tick" is what you are after.

Religion and Spirituality, and Philosophy, in fact most of Humanities use terms that are not always dictionary definitions, but specific to the discipline. They have nuanced meanings. This is one thing atheists dont seem to get and thus the endless arguments and confusion for you.
Hard for me to get through to you too, because what makes you tick is often very hard for me to understand, but mostly because you are all knowing, and of course you understand all these terms bandied about while because I question their use or meaning, I'm somehow the reason for endless arguments and confusion. Or the one who is confused. No matter how many times I explain otherwise. With you too who just repeat your same mantra over and over regardless. Not like there aren't many others who take the same sort of nuances to task, but yes of course. According to you and yours, it's just me. Never mind the rest.

I get it, but if you too need a little lesson in how natural selection works, just let me know...

Old 05-11-2023, 09:43 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,382,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Why, why, why?

Because no matter how many times I tell you otherwise about what you (or Michael) might have understood my comment(s) to mean, or how many times I try to further explain, elaborate or clarify, you insist anyway. That's what I call stubborn and obstinate. Or, you could more reasonably, finally, simply note that now you better understand why I am simply not entirely on board why you or some scientists might refer to observations about the universe as "finely tuned," and/or that I discount the possibility of a multiverse. That's why.
Maybe you could show me were you say I insisted on anything. If you are going to accuse me of something then show where I insisted,

Old 05-11-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You always try to use the concept of definitions to your advantage to win your arguments. One minute you love strict definitions. Later you want to get sloppy.
Another observation worthy of note, but it isn't even that I only use definitions for purposes of clarification, or at least to get us "on the same page," but I'm also willing and able to consider the other definitions preferred by others for whatever their reasons. Whether they are commonly understood, from other sources, precise or "sloppy." Obvious or nuanced. That the arguments or points of view along these lines can't be considered without blind stubborn obstinate repetition is what tends to get a little challenging and somewhat frustrating with some, but of course that dynamic is not only a part of dealing with some people in this forum but also in the outside world. Nothing new or to be unexpected, but not to expect the "push back" with regard to some of these notions, opinions, beliefs and stubborn obstinance should be expected too.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hard for me to get through to you too, because what makes you tick is often very hard for me to understand, but mostly because you are all knowing, and of course you understand all these terms bandied about while because I question their use or meaning, I'm somehow the reason for endless arguments and confusion. Or the one who is confused. No matter how many times I explain otherwise. With you too who just repeat your same mantra over and over regardless. Not like there aren't many others who take the same sort of nuances to task, but yes of course. According to you and yours, it's just me. Never mind the rest.

I get it, but if you too need a little lesson in how natural selection works, just let me know...
Well it is without question your choice of word did cause some confusion. . So maybe you should just accept that instead of attacking the ones your wording confused.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It seems that I did misunderstand you regarding your position about the possible existence of a multiverse. Sorry about that.
Thank you sir! Much appreciated, and of course no worries. More likely because I could have made myself more clear from the beginning, but I move pretty fast through these threads that I bother with and sometimes I need another round or two before better understanding is achieved. At least sometimes that's possible with people like you, so maybe there is hope after all!

You've made my day...

Old 05-11-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Maybe you could show me were you say I insisted on anything. If you are going to accuse me of something then show where I insisted,
This is getting ridiculous, but perhaps it's also because of this word insist...

Maybe persist is the better word, but ultimately what I'm talking about is your endless repetition about what you THINK I've explained or believe or don't believe despite my many attempts to get you to understand otherwise. You also seem to love invoking Michael into your more recent stubborn repetition along these lines, but now maybe you can follow his lead and finally recognize you (and Michael) misunderstood my comments.

I'll leave the reason for that misunderstanding for all of us to consider as I already have too many times now. To the point of ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well it is without question your choice of word did cause some confusion. . So maybe you should just accept that instead of attacking the ones your wording confused.
Your choice of the word "attacking" seems even worse, but I've tried to explain using different words, approaches, examples, clarifications, corrections and too many comments now. More than should be necessary. I can easily appreciate or simply call it confusion, for whatever reasons, and I don't consider myself entirely innocent for the reason there has been confusion, but comes a point.

The title of this thread is "Ask an atheist...?" It's not tell an atheist what he thinks no matter what he explains to the contrary...

Old 05-11-2023, 10:01 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:

See, how easily you picked p mantra in your vocabulary just be by hanging out in R&S? Mantra too has more nuanced meaning than what you think it does, and no dictionary will give you a full account.

It is evident that you are a always a little befuddled by some of the terms and that is only natural. Just look at the way you understand Truth and how long and hard you have worked to get people to understand? Two threads on the same topic of 10 Truths, which was DOA from the first post, and still a bridge too far.
We all don't have the same interest or read the same books. Some read widely and others not at all. I bet I don't the breath of knowledge of American music that you do. I am not an avid listener and my taste in music is quite selective.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous, but perhaps it's also because of this word insist...

Maybe persist is the better word, but ultimately what I'm talking about is your endless repetition about what you THINK I've explained or believe or don't believe despite my many attempts to get you to understand otherwise. You also seem to love invoking Michael into your more recent stubborn repetition along these lines, but now maybe you can follow his lead and finally recognize you (and Michael) misunderstood my comments.

I'll leave the reason for that misunderstanding for all of us to consider as I already have too many times now. To the point of ridiculous.
I looked through the thread from where this started to go sideways, an I have never insisted or persisted anything about what you believe, and you have yet to show me where I did this.

And I don't like that I had to bring Micheal into it, but it just so happened both of us got the same understanding from your word choices.

And it was not until we both had said what we said that you explained more fully what you were trying to get across.

So where after you explained yourself better did I insist or persist in endless repetition about what YOU think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality