Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,908,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Bible does fully explain it.
You have to read it all to get the whole message & explanation.
No literal interpretation can be successfully challenged...it fully covers itself.
This is really just another typical "Problem of Evil/Suffering" argument.
That argument fails every time...and The Bible fully explains it...if taken literally.
See above my quoted post above. ^^^^^
ok so the versus that don't literally seem to make sense, are counterbalanced by others that make the whole thing make literal sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 09:46 PM

16,024 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I do actually - but I thought this was a serious topic

So you have a sense of humor when it comes to people dying and you are sarcastic and condescending. Great and godly qualities lol. The very best of Christianity right here.

My point was that the bible, to me would seem more authentic if it toted narratives along the lines of what I wrote instead of the versus that trillobyte quoted which really don't convey authenticity or credibility. In any event, i'm on the fence about even believing in god. That said, my first few posts in this section has given me a warm Texas welcome. Thank you very much

It's ok. There are crusty Athiests in the Athiesm section and low blow joe's in the Religious one. I'm getting used to the nastiness in here
What, you thought it was fun and games all the time?
Welcome to the R&S.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
ok so the versus that don't literally seem to make sense, are counterbalanced by others that make the whole thing make literal sense.
Correct.
Just like those that argue the metaphorical and allegorical stories from a literal basis...
ARGUMENT: "Oh, so, it rained 8700 inches of rain every day for 6 weeks straight? How did that happen?"

ANSWER: "That's a metaphorical and allegorical story".

ARGUMENT: "No, No...that's what they claim...and that's what it says. So, how do you answer and account for that?"

ANSWER: "Well, if you are gonna take it literally, for what it says...you must then accept the noted Omnimax Powered God Entity that knows everything and can do anything".
So...if you are gonna take it literally-- The All Powerful God that knows more than you, and you're not even supposed to critique or question anything about, did it.
So...there ya go."

For some reason, it seems they always forget those verses.
You can't argue the events, scenarios, and occurrences literally, and not take what it says about God and our relative status literally as well.
Any question is answered in those three verses that explain:
1. God can...we can't.
2. God knows...we don't.
3. Completely defer to God...do not go by "your own understanding".

There is no such thing as a "According to the Bible..." argument that doesn't fail from the get-go.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:03 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Oh, go do your Buddhism crap. As I said to thrillobyte, God didn't necessarily have anything to do with the death of that pastor. How the hell is that making excuses?
A great example of a christian attitude.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:22 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Well you said god didn't write the bible. That point resonates with me the most

I've read a quite a bit of Phet's posts and I don't think he is Buddhist. Athiest yes. He can clarify if he wishes though.
I am Theravada Buddhist.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What, you thought it was fun and games all the time?
Welcome to the R&S.
I'm Canadian. We always expect everyone to be as polite as we are. A fatal flaw I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am Theravada Buddhist.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:45 PM

is
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Correct.
Just like those that argue the metaphorical and allegorical stories from a literal basis...
ARGUMENT: "Oh, so, it rained 8700 inches of rain every day for 6 weeks straight? How did that happen?"

ANSWER: "That's a metaphorical and allegorical story".

ARGUMENT: "No, No...that's what they claim...and that's what it says. So, how do you answer and account for that?"

ANSWER: "Well, if you are gonna take it literally, for what it says...you must then accept the noted Omnimax Powered God Entity that knows everything and can do anything".
So...if you are gonna take it literally-- The All Powerful God that knows more than you, and you're not even supposed to critique or question anything about, did it.
So...there ya go."

For some reason, it seems they always forget those verses.
You can't argue the events, scenarios, and occurrences literally, and not take what it says about God and our relative status literally as well.
Any question is answered in those three verses that explain:
1. God can...we can't.
2. God knows...we don't.
3. Completely defer to God...do not go by "your own understanding".

There is no such thing as a "According to the Bible..." argument that doesn't fail from the get-go.
I can buy into the possibility of god. On that basis, I would assume if the entity is noodling around somewhere or everywhere for that matter, that he would be by default more powerful and know more than little old (not so old) me.

Where I am certainly not at, is the point that whether in little bits and pieces or taken as a whole, that the bible represents what such an entity wants conveyed. It is far more likely to me, that the overall message you elucidate, is more linked to man's understanding of what they thought god wanted to convey than what he actually inspired them to convey.

In any event, on a rainy sunday afternoon, perhaps i'll dust off an old King James and give it a whirl.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:29 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
is

I can buy into the possibility of god. On that basis, I would assume if the entity is noodling around somewhere or everywhere for that matter, that he would be by default more powerful and know more than little old (not so old) me.

Where I am certainly not at, is the point that whether in little bits and pieces or taken as a whole, that the bible represents what such an entity wants conveyed. It is far more likely to me, that the overall message you elucidate, is more linked to man's understanding of what they thought god wanted to convey than what he actually inspired them to convey.

In any event, on a rainy sunday afternoon, perhaps i'll dust off an old King James and give it a whirl.
I view The Bible as a metaphorical and allegorical work of magnificent literary art.
And acknowlege that it is the most epic, prolific, and influential Book in human history.

But those that want to pose "Devils Advocate" type arguments...and Problem of Evil/Suffering type arguments based upon literal interpretations...just to bust on those that believe it on that basis...they will always lose.
The Bible is written so that the Book and its Deity are fully covered...if taken literally.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:37 AM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Well you said god didn't write the bible. That point resonates with me the most
Of course, God did not write the Bible. God inspired it. The [problem with inspiration is it has to be interpreted using the existing mindset and beliefs of the receiver. Everything in the Bible was received and interpreted by primitive minds. That makes applying a modern mindset to it problematic. That is why it only can be interpreted using the "mind of Christ" as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus in the narrative of the Cross.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:48 AM

16,810 posts, read 5,011,156 times
Quote:
is

You are misunderstanding Goldie's argument, which is if you point out the bible can not literally be true regarding the flood, then you must accept what it literally says about the non-Pantheist Bible god must be true, therefore all arguments about the problem of evil are null and void.

Goldie does not believe his own argument, he just wants atheists to correct (once again) the obviously bad logic.

Quote:
Do you not have a different version?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality