Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Now I would appreciate from the Christians a point by point assessment of what I wrote instead of the usual general cuts and jabs with no attention to the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Truth? Who has the Truth?
I would think the person who has experienced an altered state of Cosmic Consciousness ...1 example would be a Near Death Exp ---where they have touched Infinite Knowledge if only for a minute.
That's the person I would listen to.
I don't care what religion he used to be.
A Christian or an atheist..I don't care what either has to say.

www.nderf.org

Old 09-01-2022, 07:08 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Now I would appreciate from the Christians a point by point assessment of what I wrote instead of the usual general cuts and jabs with no attention to the details.
Dude, it's just not worth it. Maybe it's a big deal to you, but it isn't for others. I'm not going to waste time like you did.

In a hundred years, you will be gone and no one will remember you and your points. Same goes for me. But the centuries of spiritual and religious thought - worldwide, across vast cultures - will remain, be remembered, and will go forth. That's the legacy which you can't replace or erase, and which keeps you up at night in frustration. Stick a fork in yourself, and let out some of that hot air. You're only making yourself look foolish.

Maybe you can provide us with details and specs of the soapbox you carry around. How tall is it? Is it made of plastic or cardboard? Do you cry when it gets misplaced?

Old 09-01-2022, 07:24 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Dude, it's just not worth it. Maybe it's a big deal to you, but it isn't for others. I'm not going to waste time like you did.

In a hundred years, you will be gone and no one will remember you and your points. Same goes for me. But the centuries of spiritual and religious thought - worldwide, across vast cultures - will remain, be remembered, and will go forth. That's the legacy which you can't replace or erase, and which keeps you up at night in frustration. Stick a fork in yourself, and let out some of that hot air. You're only making yourself look foolish.

Maybe you can provide us with details and specs of the soapbox you carry around. How tall is it? Is it made of plastic or cardboard? Do you cry when it gets misplaced?
I'm sure the Greeks and Romans felt the same about their gods.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Have they been lying? Wouldn't that imply that these church men didn't believe the stories themselves and knew some other truth?
In my humble opinion, Christianity is based on a series of stories passed on at first by word of mouth, some of them based in half truths, and like Chinese whispers, the facts were embellished over time. Some stories were just that... stories. But if people believed they were true, even if they were not, does that make people liars?
People still actually believe a lot of this stuff is true, and so it gets passed along.
Yes. Ultimately they started lying. Anyone who uses logic and reason can decipher this truth.

Christians believed Jesus was returning in their lifetimes. Paul believed this. He wrote in Corinthians:

Behold, I show you a mystery: We shall not all sleep; but we shall all be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

And Thessolonians:

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we which are alive and remaining shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

This was based on the gospel's own words as put into their god-man Jesus' mouth:

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.†Matthew 16:28

Jesus made an ironclad promise four times that he would return in their lifetimes. But obviously he never returned. Jesus was either a liar or he never existed and someone just wrote the promise in for themselves. The churchmen had to have come to the realization Jesus was not returning in their lifetimes.

What did they do? Did they come clean and tell their followers? No, they buried it and forgot about it. The hope of Jesus return faded.

Here's another: the evolution of Jesus from a great prophet in Mark to fully God in John. Nowhere in Mark does Jesus identify himself as God. ONLY in John does Jesus say he's God. How can this be? In Mark Jesus botches a cure:

He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?†He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.†Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. Mark 8:25

And in Mark Jesus' family thinks he's a lunatic:

When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.â€

All this doesn't sound like something a God would do. But copies of Mark likely were already circulating, so they had to write a gospel that Jesus more god-like because they had evolved to the point they wanted to worship a god like the Mithraites were worshiping. And voila--the gospel of John is born. And thus Jesus became God.

This was not all innocent changes. Jesus if he is real doesn't need to undergo an evolution, yet that's is exactly what we see Jesus undergoing--changing over a period of decades and centuries to what we have today.

I could go on and on about the deceptions the church men were foisting on people to get them convert but there isn't enough space here. But anyone can research this and uncover the truth about the lies churchmen were peddling about Jesus to keep their religion alive.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:41 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

In other words, karma.
There's no such thing as karma.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

It's interesting. You and others in your clan simply do not care about the truth. You do not care you are worshiping a mythical god. Jesus never existed. Read TRUTH No 1 again. There's no proof in the historical record he ever existed, Dude! I'm trying to wake people up to this reality so they don't waste the only life they're ever going to get following a delusion.

Perhaps you don't care because you know I'm telling the truth and you cannot put up a single defense. I challenge you find a single untruth about my Truth No 1, Thoreau. Go ahead, try.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:43 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
These five truths prove without a doubt that Christian churchmen have been lying to people for centuries about Jesus being a real man who was the son of God and then savior of man, all for their own selfish gains.
Cool. Now do Islam.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Cool. Now do Islam.

heh, I don't know the first thing about Islam. But I know a hell of a lot about Christianity.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:52 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There's no such thing as karma.
No, there's no such thing as god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality