Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 08:13 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Who would like to discuss the wisdom of a (or some) religious principle(s).

This thread is NOT about trying to prove some 'fact' in the scriptures of any religion. The forum is filled with posts that try to do that.

And for the purposes of this thread, I'll use this definition of 'principle': "a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct". [vocabulary.com]
Quote:
This whole thread is opinion. And frankly, as a Buddhist, the Hindu definition of karma doesn't really interest me. If I wanted to be a Hindu, I'd study Hinduism.
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.

Is this a thread about Religious Principles ("a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct")...
OR
Is it about, Religious Opinions that are not Facts?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-19-2022 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 08:22 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
Who would like to discuss the wisdom of a (or some) religious principle(s).

This thread is NOT about trying to prove some 'fact' in the scriptures of any religion. The forum is filled with posts that try to do that.

And for the purposes of this thread, I'll use this definition of 'principle': "a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct". [vocabulary.com]
No matter what thread it is, no matter the intentions, it's going to be trolled and trolled hard by the atheist or Buddhism haters, or anyone they view as a threat to their religion. It's already full of those types of hateful and antagonizing posts. They don't want us in their precious R&S forum so they harass anyone who disagrees with them non-stop. It's a sick and sad game they play and there are other back-patters following them around giving them the thumbs up.

I came to post about principles but I see there is really no point. I'm tired of arguing with these horrible people.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:43 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Religious principle: letting go of anger

"Buddhism, on the other hand, believes that destructive emotions themselves are obstacles and need to be eliminated to have happiness. In the moment of anger arising, at first there is just an energy, a feeling, the merest glimmer of an experience; it has not yet devolved into violence and aggression. We can learn to deal with it, through mindful awareness coupled with patience, self-observation and introspection.

"Afflictive, destructive or negative emotions can be skillfully antidoted by cultivating positive emotions, such as patience, compassion, lovingkindness and so forth. When feeling hatred, cultivate forgiveness and equanimity, trying to empathize with the other and see where they are coming from—see things through their eyes for a moment, if you can. If moved towards aggression, try to breathe, relax, quiet and calm the agitated mind and strive for restraint and moderation, remembering that others are just like yourself in wanting and needing happiness and avoiding pain, harm and suffering."

As the Dalai Lama says, “Violence is old-fashioned. Anger doesn’t get you anywhere. If you can calm your mind and be patient, you will be a wonderful example to those around you.”

Shantideva, who wrote the classic book Entering the Bodhisattva Path (Bodhicharyavatara) twelve hundred years ago, said: “Anger is the greatest evil; patient forbearance is the greatest austerity.”

from article Dealing with Anger

Old 09-18-2022, 09:39 PM

A religious principle:
it is more blessed to give than to receive (promotes generosity, kindness, and charity)

Old 09-18-2022, 09:40 PM

A religious principle:
Do no harm.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:46 PM

A religious principle:
Divinity is within us.

“Even as the scent dwells within the flower, so God within thine own heart forever abides.”
– Sikhism

"I found the divine within my heart."
--Rumi

Old 09-18-2022, 10:01 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
A religious principle:
it is more blessed to give than to receive (promotes generosity, kindness, and charity)
What do you see as the discussion point in this?

Old 09-18-2022, 10:08 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
And the Religious Principle that is the highest standard for human conduct and interaction, summed up in 3 words:
Love Each Other

Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And the Religious Principle that is the highest standard for human conduct and interaction, summed up in 3 words:
Love Each Other

Old 09-18-2022, 11:23 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Okay, thumbs up...but what is the discussion point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality