Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 04:01 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

I know that most people were really excited at the beginning of 2022 because we were finally coming out of the dark days of the pandemic. However, 2022 has been an awful year for me.

For whatever reason, it’s been one of those years where it is just one thing after another. I thought that it was just me; however, the more people I speak with, the more I am hearing that they have been having similar experiences as well. The general consensus is that something isn’t right,

Suffice to say, I can’t wait for this year to be over. Is anyone else experiencing this and, if so, what is your take on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 05:26 AM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I know that most people were really excited at the beginning of 2022 because we were finally coming out of the dark days of the pandemic. However, 2022 has been an awful year for me.

For whatever reason, it’s been one of those years where it is just one thing after another. I thought that it was just me; however, the more people I speak with, the more I am hearing that they have been having similar experiences as well. The general consensus is that something isn’t right,

Suffice to say, I can’t wait for this year to be over. Is anyone else experiencing this and, if so, what is your take on it?
I hate it when my significant other rushes time with phrases such as "We have to make it through Thanksgiving" or " We have to make it through Christmas. " I am sometimes tempted to say, let's call the Holidays off if it's that stressful.
Life is about embracing experiences and changes.
If you don't fix the root of the problem, 2023 will be no different than 2022.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:58 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

It has been a bad year, but the current period of darkness for me started in March of 2021, so it is really just a continuation that isn't paying attention to the calendar.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:18 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Yes it has been awful, one of the worst years of my life. First of all my wife is Ukrainian so that alone says it all. We're always worried about her family and friends over there. It's also been one thing after another in our lives. It's pretty bad when I look back at 2020 and 2021 as "better years". I didn't get to share the same feeling this year of celebrating the pandemic being "over" and revenge travel. Actually I had COVID earlier this year, and most people I know personally who had it had it this year as well.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has been a bad year, but the current period of darkness for me started in March of 2021, so it is really just a continuation that isn't paying attention to the calendar.
I have had a similar experience as well. For me, the darkness started in November of last year but, in 2022, it has been one thing after another.

Illness and death have been very prevalent this year in particular in addition to there being a general, uneasy feeling that evil is afoot

Last edited by StarlaJane; 11-19-2022 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-19-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Yes it has been awful, one of the worst years of my life. First of all my wife is Ukrainian so that alone says it all. We're always worried about her family and friends over there. It's also been one thing after another in our lives. It's pretty bad when I look back at 2020 and 2021 as "better years". I didn't get to share the same feeling this year of celebrating the pandemic being "over" and revenge travel. Actually I had COVID earlier this year, and most people I know personally who had it had it this year as well.
I’m so sorry that you and your SO have been personally affected by the events in Ukraine—that is heart rending; I can only imagine how anxious you all are for your loved ones.

I had COVID as well and also look back at 2020 and 2021 as peaceful and happy times, which makes me say, “WTF?!” to myself. And I guess that is my point.

I started this thread on the Religion forum because the only response I have to these challenging times is to pray, attend church, read and keep my Bible close and block out the evil by being charitable and kind to others.

I don’t want to “circle my wagons” but part of me feels that I might have to do that in order to protect myself.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:36 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I have had a similar experience as well. The darkness started in November of last year but, in 2022, it has been one thing after another.

Illness and death have been very prevalent in addition to a general uneasy feeling that evil is afoot
Stay safe. I have been on a run of deaths of family and friends since December 2019. Latest was a brother-in-law last week. I am also caregiving for my dying bf. He is dying as he lived--procrastinating, on his own schedule, not following doctors' predictions. . Dark humor, it's not really funny but it is the only way to get through the days.

I do not have the sense of evil nearby, though.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:57 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:

In terms of the global dynamic, the parade of extrinsic shocks to various social, cultural, political and other systems is pretty much nonstop. I trace it more back to the Great Recession as the place where it began to be, shall we say, un-subtle -- but the amplitude has certainly remained high since the start of the pandemic (which as far as I'm concerned is not over, or even particularly in a substantively different phase overall; we're mostly just in denial because of poor public health "leadership").

The pandemic effects us the most directly, but there's the war, the wobbly supply chain, the climate crisis, the rise of fascism around the world, and the increasingly self-evident unsustainability of our economic systems, among other things.

I just think one must lower one's expectations that 2023 or 24 or 25 will somehow break us out into the clear and "back to normal". I don't think there's any going back, at least not in the foreseeable future. It is my view that what we considered "normal" never was sustainable to begin with. But we can't have a substantive conversation about that, at least not in this particular forum.

My point is not to make everyone feel hopeless but to just urge everyone to set realistic expectations. We face tough challenges and I would suggest that we have two possible paths -- keep hoping for it to All Be Over and be perpetually dismayed, or have realistic expectations and adapt to this "new normal" and plan how to handle it appropriately so that there's some hope we might eventually get to a better place. Take whatever control you have over your situation, develop new competencies, and so on. In our case we are on the glide path to retirement so it's also an excuse to learn to live with more scarcity anyway.

I think that for better or worse the era of abundance and ease we've enjoyed most of our lives is giving way to at least spot shortages and outages, and more weather extremes, and we're going to have to pay more attention to being resilient. I think it's off topic for me to go into details here, but there are rational, affordable steps one can take to increase the control you have of your home environment. We have already been far less uncomfortable than we would have been in the face of a multi-week unavailability of one of our basic staple food items and an extended power outage, for example. We are taking steps to reduce our stepson's reliance on a particular medication that is perpetually experiencing national spot shortages.

To my mind it is better to accept the actual situation and start doing something about it than to just keep hoping it's going to improve on its own.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:00 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Stay safe. I have been on a run of deaths of family and friends since December 2019. Latest was a brother-in-law last week. I am also caregiving for my dying bf. He is dying as he lived--procrastinating, on his own schedule, not following doctors' predictions. . Dark humor, it's not really funny but it is the only way to get through the days.

I do not have the sense of evil nearby, though.
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, as you know. I think you you quite often and very much empathize with your situation. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we deeply appreciate your moderation efforts here, as well as your wonderful contributions to the conversation. It's just a forum, not a true eye-to-eye family, but I think you are beloved here and you should take what comfort there is in that.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I'll admit it's been a challenging year, but I wouldn't go so far as "cursed." Life has its challenges every year, some worse than others. Have faith that God has your back, and you will find the good in every situation. It's there. You just are not seeing it, right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality