Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 10:32 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Some people don't know there are more than just 10 commandments, and though I've scanned over all 613 many times over the years for various reasons, I've never really taken the time to consider each one the way I'd like to, both in the context of the day they were written and in terms of there relevance today. Accordingly, I thought I'd start this thread and work through each one over time. I welcome any comments along the way as I do, starting with the first 10...

The commonly known 10 commandments of the Bible

The 10 Commandments List

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

The first 10 of the full List of the Mitzvot

1. To know there is a G‑d—Exodus 20:2
2. Not to entertain thoughts of other gods besides Him—Exodus 20:3
3. To know that He is one—Deuteronomy 6:4
4. To love Him—Deuteronomy 6:5
5. To fear Him—Deuteronomy 10:20
6. To sanctify His Name—Leviticus 22:32
7. Not to profane His Name—Leviticus 22:32
8. Not to destroy objects associated with His Name—Deuteronomy 12:4
9. To listen to the prophet speaking in His Name—Deuteronomy 18:15
10. Not to test the prophet unduly—Deuteronomy 6:16

Interesting to note the difference between the two lists and to consider why the difference.

Next time #11...

Moderators' note: For those unfamiliar with the "613 commandments" of Jewish tradition, these were enumerated by rabbinical scholars in the Middle Ages. It is important to note that the 613 commandments, and even the idea that there are 613 of them, developed through the lens of Judaism. Their application is therefore only brought to the fore as they apply to and are understood by Jews and the only way to investigate them properly is in the context of millennia of Jewish thought. Anyone who wishes to delve into the 613 with this understanding in mind may bring their questions to the Judaism subforum.

To clear up any confusion or contention, this topic here primarily focuses on the presumed relevance or irrelevance of the 613 in terms of secular, modern-day thought. It is the OP's prerogative to discuss the 613 in such terms.

-- The Moderators for the Religion & Spirituality Forum and Subforums.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-11-2021 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Moderators' note added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Some people don't know there are more than just 10 commandments, and though I've scanned over all 613 many times over the years for various reasons, I've never really taken the time to consider each one the way I'd like to, both in the context of the day they were written and in terms of there relevance today. Accordingly, I thought I'd start this thread and work through each one over time. I welcome any comments along the way as I do, starting with the first 10...

The commonly known 10 commandments of the Bible

The 10 Commandments List

2. You shall not make idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

The first 10 of the full List of the Mitzvot

1. To know there is a G‑d—Exodus 20:2
2. Not to entertain thoughts of other gods besides Him—Exodus 20:3
3. To know that He is one—Deuteronomy 6:4
4. To love Him—Deuteronomy 6:5
5. To fear Him—Deuteronomy 10:20
6. To sanctify His Name—Leviticus 22:32
7. Not to profane His Name—Leviticus 22:32
8. Not to destroy objects associated with His Name—Deuteronomy 12:4
9. To listen to the prophet speaking in His Name—Deuteronomy 18:15
10. Not to test the prophet unduly—Deuteronomy 6:16

Interesting to note the difference between the two lists and to consider why the difference.

Next time #11...
The first ten are like Headings and the remaining 603 each fall under one of those headings...Some are for the priests only, some are only when your in Israel, some have to do with agriculture, etc...

Old 09-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The first ten are like Headings and the remaining 603 each fall under one of those headings...Some are for the priests only, some are only when your in Israel, some have to do with agriculture, etc...
Thank you. Yes, I've gleaned at least that by way of cursory scan over the years, but as I recall not all fall under the headings as directly as you seem to suggest. All the more reason for my interest in considering each of them one by one a little more carefully, also in light of what you explain. Looking forward to the exercise and additional comments over whatever time it will take to have a look at each one over time.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Just to save on bleeding the rest of them in 60 posts...

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ts-Mitzvot.htm

Some of them are "cute":

5. To fear Him—Deuteronomy 10:20. Oh, yes. THE FEAR.

13. To love other Jews (is this Jewish BLM version? JLM? other do not deserve to be loved?)

31. Not to make human forms even for decorative purposes - that's good one. Considering, about most of famous sculptors and painters are Jews.

33. To burn a city that has turned to idol worship. Yep. Kill 'm all!

I don't really want to waste my time on this... too "peaceful" and "loving" to my taste.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just to save on bleeding the rest of them in 60 posts...

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ts-Mitzvot.htm

Some of them are "cute":

5. To fear Him—Deuteronomy 10:20. Oh, yes. THE FEAR.

13. To love other Jews (is this Jewish BLM version? JLM? other do not deserve to be loved?)

31. Not to make human forms even for decorative purposes - that's good one. Considering, about most of famous sculptors and painters are Jews.

33. To burn a city that has turned to idol worship. Yep. Kill 'm all!

I don't really want to waste my time on this... too "peaceful" and "loving" to my taste.
Seems you don't understand my interest in considering them as I explained. Not wanting to "bleed" them in any case, but I am not surprised anyone or everyone shares the same interest to consider them a little more individually and comprehensively. Interesting as well and along the same lines which few you chose to focus upon and why. Perhaps worth consideration as well. Care to explain?

Old 09-26-2020, 12:39 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
I'll comment on the first commandment in the ten commandments list.

The Bible is Monolatrous, assuming the actual existence of other gods besides Yahweh, but commanding the worship of only one . . . Yahweh. Biblically speaking, the other gods are created beings and are actually the angels or other created beings which were created by Yahweh.

The backdrop for the first commandment is man's continuing disobedience to God culminating at the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9). Since man continually disobeyed God, he gave the nations over to the lesser gods and began to call out one specific nation for himself. That nation was to be Israel. From that time forward up until the time of Jesus and the cross Yahweh would deal directly only with Israel. All other nations were to be administered to by the other elohim. This is seen in Deuteronomy 32:8-9 which reads
Deut. 32:8 "When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance, When He separated the sons of man, He set the boundaries of the peoples According to the number of the sons of Israel. 9] "For the LORD'S portion is His people; Jacob is the allotment of His inheritance.
But the Masoretic Text (Tanakh to the Jews) is wrong in verse 8 where it says the God set the boundaries of the peoples (nations) according to the number of the sons of Israel. Israel didn't yet exist. Most scholars believe the reading in the Dead Sea Scrolls, as well as in the Septuagint is the correct reading.

The Septuagint;
Deuteronomy 32:8 When the Most High divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God.

Deuteronomy 32:8 ὅτε διεμέριζεν ὁ ῞Υψιστος ἔθνη, ὡς διέσπειρεν υἱοὺς ᾿Αδάμ, ἔστησεν ὅρια ἐθνῶν κατὰ ἀριθμὸν ἀγγέλων Θεοῦ,
The Dead Sea Scroll at Deuteronomy 32:8 reads ''according to the number of the children of God.''

So having given the nations over to the lesser elohim, Yahweh commanded that Israel worship only him.

That this interpretation is correct is confirmed by Yahweh's command to Israel in Deuteronomy 4:19-20 which parallels Deuteronomy 32:8-9.
Deut 4:19 "And beware not to lift up your eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, and be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven. 20] "But the LORD has taken you and brought you out of the iron furnace, from Egypt, to be a people for His own possession, as today.
And therefore the first commandment.

Okay, that's my comment, for what it's worth.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Thank you. Yes, I've gleaned at least that by way of cursory scan over the years, but as I recall not all fall under the headings as directly as you seem to suggest. All the more reason for my interest in considering each of them one by one a little more carefully, also in light of what you explain. Looking forward to the exercise and additional comments over whatever time it will take to have a look at each one over time.
Each one can be traced back...

Old 09-27-2020, 10:13 AM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Some people don't know there are more than just 10 commandments, and though I've scanned over all 613 many times over the years for various reasons, I've never really taken the time to consider each one the way I'd like to, both in the context of the day they were written and in terms of there relevance today. Accordingly, I thought I'd start this thread and work through each one over time. I welcome any comments along the way as I do, starting with the first 10....
The 613 apply only to Jews. They are relevant to the Jewish people.
Why would you consider something that applies to the Jewish people, when you are not Jewish yourself?

The focus of the mitzvot is a person's relationship and connection with the Creator. I question the motive of someone to "work through each one" when someone has a posting history that consistently is derogatory towards God, religion, and a person's relationship with the Creator.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-27-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I'll comment on the first commandment in the ten commandments list.

The Bible is Monolatrous, assuming the actual existence of other gods besides Yahweh, but commanding the worship of only one . . . Yahweh. Biblically speaking, the other gods are created beings and are actually the angels or other created beings which were created by Yahweh.

The backdrop for the first commandment is man's continuing disobedience to God culminating at the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9). Since man continually disobeyed God, he gave the nations over to the lesser gods and began to call out one specific nation for himself. That nation was to be Israel. From that time forward up until the time of Jesus and the cross Yahweh would deal directly only with Israel. All other nations were to be administered to by the other elohim. This is seen in Deuteronomy 32:8-9 which reads
Deut. 32:8 "When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance, When He separated the sons of man, He set the boundaries of the peoples According to the number of the sons of Israel. 9] "For the LORD'S portion is His people; Jacob is the allotment of His inheritance.
But the Masoretic Text (Tanakh to the Jews) is wrong in verse 8 where it says the God set the boundaries of the peoples (nations) according to the number of the sons of Israel. Israel didn't yet exist. Most scholars believe the reading in the Dead Sea Scrolls, as well as in the Septuagint is the correct reading.

The Septuagint;
Deuteronomy 32:8 When the Most High divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God.

Deuteronomy 32:8 ὅτε διεμέριζεν ὁ ῞Υψιστος ἔθνη, ὡς διέσπειρεν υἱοὺς ᾿Αδάμ, ἔστησεν ὅρια ἐθνῶν κατὰ ἀριθμὸν ἀγγέλων Θεοῦ,
The Dead Sea Scroll at Deuteronomy 32:8 reads ''according to the number of the children of God.''

So having given the nations over to the lesser elohim, Yahweh commanded that Israel worship only him.

That this interpretation is correct is confirmed by Yahweh's command to Israel in Deuteronomy 4:19-20 which parallels Deuteronomy 32:8-9.
Deut 4:19 "And beware not to lift up your eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, and be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven. 20] "But the LORD has taken you and brought you out of the iron furnace, from Egypt, to be a people for His own possession, as today.
And therefore the first commandment.

Okay, that's my comment, for what it's worth.
Thank you, and of course I think we can all relate to the requirement no other god be recognized...

I'm no big historian along these lines, but no doubt at the time there was the knowledge that many people of the time and before believed in other gods. Lots of people with alternative notions about other gods, so I suspect there was good reason if not necessity to clear the slate of those gods in order to promote the One, far as the authors of the Bible were concerned anyway. Hardly different from many a dictator who has attempted to make sure no contenders are allowed consideration.

Never works too well regardless the source or times however...

Since I am not religious, certainly not a follower of any religion over another, I feel I am better able to consider the reason(s) for these commandments in a bit more objective manner than people who are religious, be them Christian or non-Christian. Again in the context of the times; while at the same time, for example, there were other gods, religions and notions about such things very different going on in other parts of the world. Probably all of them evolving for similar political reasons too. I'm no historian, but I've read much about these histories.

On a less serious note, your comment reminds me of a joke I recently read in the atheist joke thread...

Jesus..., "so I was like 'I'm the Son of God," and they were like "no way," and I was like "Yahweh."

Please forgive me for passing that one along if anyone doesn't also find it humorous...

Old 09-27-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The 613 apply only to Jews. They are relevant to the Jewish people.
Why would you consider something that applies to the Jewish people, when you are not Jewish yourself?

The focus of the mitzvot is a person's relationship and connection with the Creator. I question the motive of someone to "work through each one" when someone has a posting history that consistently is derogatory towards God, religion, and a person's relationship with the Creator.
Generally speaking for the same reason(s) I have studied religion (and history) most of my adult life...

One of those reasons is because many of these writings, holy books, religions have both a direct and indirect influence on all our lives. I've read plenty of history about that sort of thing too, all the way up to present day current events. Why does anyone want to learn about what others believe or do? Should I not attempt to better understand conservative perspective even though I lean liberal for example? Also of course, I can always convert to Judaism.

That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality