Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM

59 posts, read 54,947 times

Advertisements

Newbie here folks. My wife and I just this afternoon took a tour of the renovation going on at 613 Whitney Avenue. Beautiful detailing and a huge house. I particularly love the wrought iron fence surrounding the property. I think my wife is leaning towards a serious step in moving into the neighborhood.

Was wondering if any of you good folks could share some history, pictures, little tidbits about the property and the surrounding area.

I am retired, my wife works for the Fred Rogers Company and she wants to move into town. We currently are located in Butler and the difference in the markets is like being in the twilight zone.

Please share your knowledge good and not so good. I have searched and found one thread that had a picture which I appreciate. Hoping there are more.

Thank you,

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
Are you referring to this little gem in Wilkinsburg: Allegheny County Assessment ?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
that is a beautiful house, and it's about time it was renovated! it sat vacant for a long time with an owner who wouldn't let go of it. the big window facing todd street from the stairs used to have stained glass with a unicorn on it.

i don't know much about the history of the house but i can recommend a great local house historian if you like!

as far as the neighborhood/borough goes, i live very nearby. that area is really, really nice but when you cross over the busway (to where i live, haha!), it does get sketchier. you'll want to find out what the taxes are on the place, they are very high here and the schools are terrible. that being said, i love living where i am on the "wrong side" of the busway, and i know a lot of people who live on your side and they are very happy there. there's a great community in wilkinsburg and your councilwoman (and president of the local cdc) will be living right across the street from you. you're walking distance to a great coffee house, the regent square business district, frick park, and some smaller nearby parks, including a nice dog park. it's also an easy drive to giant eagle and the parkway, and you are right on the busway so getting places via public transportation is easy too.

i don't know what the price is going to be on this renovation but buying in that part of town is probably going to be a good investment. prices have appreciated rapidly there in the last 10 years and that will probably continue for a while more.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Can you really buy it for $6600?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

that's not the selling price, that's what it was last sold for, probably at sheriff's auction. if that's really what they paid for it, it was a steal, but it was abandoned for years and it probably going through a really expensive renovation right now.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Foreclosed in '10, the internets say.
I've walked around that area a lot - lots of nice old houses and houses that would be nice old houses if they'd had any maintenance done on them, and of course you're getting a nice Victorian for what is usually a bargain basement price, considering it's still a pretty safe neighborhood. I'll be happy to see more and more people moving in who'll take care of it.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Jay, when I've been wandering around I've seen a lot of similar houses in the $150k-$180k range, although I've only seen the outside and they probably cost more by now. In fact I know I've seen at least one at $300k plus, here in scary shady Wilkinsburg, on Biddle I think it was, but I have no idea what it finally sold for, and plus it was a huge house with enough history to have its own name.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman40 View Post
Newbie here folks. My wife and I just this afternoon took a tour of the renovation going on at 613 Whitney Avenue. Beautiful detailing and a huge house. I particularly love the wrought iron fence surrounding the property. I think my wife is leaning towards a serious step in moving into the neighborhood.

Was wondering if any of you good folks could share some history, pictures, little tidbits about the property and the surrounding area.
I lived half a block from that house, on Todd St, from 2007-2009. We LOVED that neighborhood. It's quiet, and Whitney is a beautiful street. IIRC the neighborhood's councilmember lived right across the street. There are a few very well-maintained grand houses just down the street, closer to Whitney/Hay. We had young kids at the time and often walked to Frick Park, Whitney Park (which was rundown but alright) or the Regent Square business district. D's has among the best beer selection in Pittsburgh.

I think the only real negative about that neighborhood would be property taxes, though I guess it depends on what the assessment will be once the reno is done. It's in Wilkinsburg but there's no spillover at all coming from its bad areas -- it's really on the 'right side of the tracks'.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that is a beautiful house, and it's about time it was renovated! it sat vacant for a long time with an owner who wouldn't let go of it. the big window facing todd street from the stairs used to have stained glass with a unicorn on it.

i don't know much about the history of the house but i can recommend a great local house historian if you like!

as far as the neighborhood/borough goes, i live very nearby. that area is really, really nice but when you cross over the busway (to where i live, haha!), it does get sketchier. you'll want to find out what the taxes are on the place, they are very high here and the schools are terrible. that being said, i love living where i am on the "wrong side" of the busway, and i know a lot of people who live on your side and they are very happy there. there's a great community in wilkinsburg and your councilwoman (and president of the local cdc) will be living right across the street from you. you're walking distance to a great coffee house, the regent square business district, frick park, and some smaller nearby parks, including a nice dog park. it's also an easy drive to giant eagle and the parkway, and you are right on the busway so getting places via public transportation is easy too.

i don't know what the price is going to be on this renovation but buying in that part of town is probably going to be a good investment. prices have appreciated rapidly there in the last 10 years and that will probably continue for a while more.

The big stained glass window had a swan on it, not a unicorn. I believe the window is now gone (stolen).

I agree with your assessment of the area. I will mention that there is a rail line that runs through the area. Its only one block from the house you mentioned, so be sure to take the noise from the trains into consideration.

I talked one of the guys working on that place into giving me a tour. The place is in need of a major renovation. The roof leaked, and caused quite a bit of water damage to the second floor. I was surprised to see the place still has it's original kitchen.

Unfortunately, the house was left vacant too long, it would take at least $150k-$200k to restore it.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM

that's right, a swan!

it sounds like the renovations will be done by the seller. i'd like to take a tour myself! i've always wanted to see what it was like inside. and yeah, that window was either stolen or taken out by the owner and sold years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh