Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 12:14 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's between them. It's not up to you or me.

Do you want to stand guard out in front of the church, and start policing people?
Well, since it's a commandments-based religion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 12:16 PM

Also, did I miss how old the kids were?

I was sitting in church with the big people when I was 8 and didn't need to be controlled.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:42 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
This is the kind of nonsense that drove me away from churches years ago, and for which I'll never return. Way too much pettiness, and childish religious postering and meddling. My personal worship at home is never compromised by such idiocy.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is the kind of nonsense that drove me away from churches years ago, and for which I'll never return. Way too much pettiness, and childish religious postering and meddling. My personal worship at home is never compromised by such idiocy.
Okay...that's your perspective.

But, when I was still going to church I wanted to be able to focus on the service and what the minister/priest was saying. Frankly, it was not a place for distractions. You might say it is 'place-specific'. The last few times I went to a methodist church, I seemed to always sit near a mother, father, and 2 kids...young kids. Even with the young kids the focus was on behavior that was appropriate in church.

As a Buddhist, focus and mindfulness is even more important. And I'll tell you a story. One day...or I should say early evening in Bangkok I visited a temple where the ubosot (the building where most 'monk ceremonies' take place) happened to be open and a large group of monks were doing their evening meditations and chantings. I went in silently, sat on the floor in the very back and observed. And then, in the dim light, I decided to take a photo. No flash. The click disturbed a couple of the monks and they turned around to look.

But here's the key thing to me -- if you're going to go to church (of all places) it would seem that that is very much the place to be considerate of others.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:05 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Last night, my old lady and I were talking about how much fun I had at the party after Lessons and Carols in the Fellowship Hall. There was a plethora of Fine Wine (I donated some) and beer and lots of drinking. She pointed out that growing up in a Georgia Baptist church, drinking was forbidden, but that did not stop people from showing up drunk to church or drinking right when they leave. I have set through some really bad services. Some people who enjoy services at a church do not understand how difficult and painful it is for those of us who do not believe to sit through it. If I had to go to a church like one of those, I'd load up on weed beforehand and probably laugh my way through it.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:31 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay...that's your perspective.

But, when I was still going to church I wanted to be able to focus on the service and what the minister/priest was saying. Frankly, it was not a place for distractions. You might say it is 'place-specific'. The last few times I went to a methodist church, I seemed to always sit near a mother, father, and 2 kids...young kids. Even with the young kids the focus was on behavior that was appropriate in church.

As a Buddhist, focus and mindfulness is even more important. And I'll tell you a story. One day...or I should say early evening in Bangkok I visited a temple where the ubosot (the building where most 'monk ceremonies' take place) happened to be open and a large group of monks were doing their evening meditations and chantings. I went in silently, sat on the floor in the very back and observed. And then, in the dim light, I decided to take a photo. No flash. The click disturbed a couple of the monks and they turned around to look.

But here's the key thing to me -- if you're going to go to church (of all places) it would seem that that is very much the place to be considerate of others.
Bingo!

Old 12-20-2022, 09:36 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I am not sure that I agree with this.

The definition of considerate is: "careful not to cause inconvenience or hurt to others."

If I am attending this church service, how am I "inconvenienced" or "hurt" by this person discreetly reading a book? Outside of his wife, I don't really see it.

Your Buddhist event seems to have been entirely based on silence for meditations and chants. Don't some of those places specifically request by sign or spoken word to be silent if you come in to observe? A church sermon is typically full of rustling papers, little kid squirms, sneezes, A/C unit noises....I am not sure that someone discreetly and quietly reading a book would cause harm to anyone. Unless the minister somehow saw it and it took her/his focus off to such a large extent that she/he couldn't do her/his job well, but that seems a stretch.

If it were a meeting house during expectant waiting where all humanly noises are supposed to temporarily cease to try and be moved and connect....I can see how it is inconsiderate to have someone come in with noise blaring from their headphones or even turning pages loudly...but I think that is a different environment than a normal sermon.

Not a bad argument by you and a good story you shared. But...as I pointed out in my first post, some will find offense with it and some will not...so that must be weighed in with whether he does it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
If I had to go to a church like one of those, I'd load up on weed beforehand and probably laugh my way through it.

I think that would be inconsiderate to come in high and laughing as that would likely cause disruptions and hurt people's ability to hear what was said.

Hands off the wacky tobacky.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:24 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I think that would be inconsiderate to come in high and laughing as that would likely cause disruptions and hurt people's ability to hear what was said.

Hands off the wacky tobacky.
It would be, but it is hypothetical. I would not go to a fundy/evandelical and certainly not a southern Baptist service anyway. As for the ones I do occasionally attend, I am interested in taking in the entire experience, the music, message, as well as the ornate windows and beautiful architecture. SO there is no need to go, say to an Episcopal church or Buddhist meeting stoned. In fact, it would be counter productive, since the idea is to seek inspiration through beauty or to focus on something other than the self.

If I ever had to sit through another church of Christ service though, yes I would be stoned out of my cat mind before going. But we all know that is not going to happen now is it?

Old 12-21-2022, 09:04 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
It would be, but it is hypothetical. I would not go to a fundy/evandelical and certainly not a southern Baptist service anyway. As for the ones I do occasionally attend, I am interested in taking in the entire experience, the music, message, as well as the ornate windows and beautiful architecture. SO there is no need to go, say to an Episcopal church or Buddhist meeting stoned. In fact, it would be counter productive, since the idea is to seek inspiration through beauty or to focus on something other than the self.

If I ever had to sit through another church of Christ service though, yes I would be stoned out of my cat mind before going. But we all know that is not going to happen now is it?
Brought back a memory. There is an organization in my area of NJ called Waterspirit that is run by a group of Catholic nuns. Its mission is to protect and advocate for the heakth of Earth's water, especially the ocean. They once had a beautiful beachfront facility that was eventually sold, but they are still in the Jersey shore area, in quite an affluent town, in fact.

https://www.waterspirit.org/#

Anyway, they have (or had, I have not been there in a while) events that are downright pagan in nature, celebrating the Solstices and Equinoxes, for example. I'd gone to one and loved it, so I went back with some Episcopal friends on the next equinox. Got stoned first. It just seemed to be the right thing to do.

Well, this time they had a young couple, both dressed in unbleached muslin robes, she played some kind of autoharp type thing and he had a pan flute. They played for everyone then clasped their hands in front of them and bowed when we applauded.

Then, they started their next song, with the woman playing her stringed thing and the guy singing

We are
Hollow bamboo
Open up your heart and
Let the love flow through

Over and over.

And suddenly I got the giggles. It was like being in 8th grade youth group in the Seventies. I did all I could to stay silent but my body was shaking and then I felt the two women on either side of me doing the same thing. I think I had tears running down my cheeks from trying to hold back outright laughter. But I did it!

Old 12-21-2022, 09:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
Apologies if i I missed this but shouldn't you and the wife present sort of a united front on how to behave in these matters. It must be important to her if not to you and it seems like you and the children should stay home if you can't sit still politely for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality