Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 10:01 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since wants are LEARNED "desired solutions" to INNATE needs of course they can be unwise, It is also why wants vary so much. Our needs are not wise or unwise because they simply ARE!
Just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 11:37 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Since wants are LEARNED "desired solutions" to INNATE needs of course they can be unwise, It is also why wants vary so much. Our needs are not wise or unwise because they simply ARE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just no.
Just Yes! Our needs are what we require to obtain and maintain homeostasis. As sentient creatures, we seek psychological as well as biological "homeostasis" (balance). What we have learned to seek (want) to obtain that objective is what varies enormously and can be unwise! There are wise and unwise ways (wants) to obtain the homeostatic satisfactions (needs) we seek.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-01-2023 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-01-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Just Yes! Our needs are what we require to obtain and maintain homeostasis. As sentient creatures, we seek psychological as well as biological "homeostasis" (balance). What we have learned to seek (want) to obtain that objective is what varies enormously and can be unwise! There are wise and unwise ways (wants) to obtain the homeostatic satisfactions (needs) we seek.
There are men who feel the need to kill. To be adulterers. To...on and on. Those are unwise needs.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-01-2023 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote. You can't have bold text in the quote tags.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
There are men who feel the need to kill. To be adulterers. To...on and on. Those are unwise needs.
They WANT to kill, Phet because to them it is what will satisfy the psychological imbalance they feel for "whatever." Adulterers WANT to satisfy their sexual drive without regard to its effects on their spouse or others. Both are WANTS they have learned will satisfy their inner imbalances (psychological or biological) whatever they may be.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
They WANT to kill, Phet because to them it is what will satisfy the psychological imbalance they feel for "whatever." Adulterers WANT to satisfy their sexual drive without regard to its effects on their spouse or others. Both are WANTS they have learned will satisfy their inner imbalances (psychological or biological) whatever they may be.
No.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Right. One can never teach or preach about divinity to someone until they are ready to receive it. And it is smart to question why anyone is trying to sell you something you have never needed or wanted.
I am not sure god belief is the default. Children are taught to pray, are told mythological stories, taught how to worship, taught the language of the spiritual texts. As the grow up they may choose to stop doing all that or develop their spiritual seeking. Spiritual seeking is a want, a need to be fulfilled.
I agree. I was focusing more on the behavior of believing in things in general being a default human behavior. Believing in a god just happens to be one of them for many people.

Quote:
There are other things that humans do -- sex as just one example -- that are 'wants', 'needs to be fulfilled'...and it demonstrates that all those wants and needs are not always wise.
This is an interesting comment, especially the exchange that occurs after this post. People have wants and needs. That is a fact. Humans can judge those wants and needs as wise or unwise depending on outcomes. Some of us can even guess that a certain want or need can potentially lead a person down a destructive path.

I have my own way to measure if a want or a need is unwise. Does the want require somebody else to believe in what I do? If yes, then it is unwise.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:40 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree. I was focusing more on the behavior of believing in things in general being a default human behavior. Believing in a god just happens to be one of them for many people.

This is an interesting comment, especially the exchange that occurs after this post. People have wants and needs. That is a fact. Humans can judge those wants and needs as wise or unwise depending on outcomes. Some of us can even guess that a certain want or need can potentially lead a person down a destructive path.

I have my own way to measure if a want or a need is unwise. Does the want require somebody else to believe in what I do? If yes, then it is unwise.

I agree beliefs in general can be default, UNTIL we learn other things that make us question our beliefs.Then beliefs can change. I would say changing belief is the more natural thing for human, who probably are the only aspect of nature that believes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
Our wants and needs reflect our tendencies and mental and emotional state. Seeking spirituality arises from maturity and a healthy mind that is not suffering. The kind of wants and needs for sex and killing ??! These are not merely unwise, the might require counseling.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post

Agreed.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

Our wants and needs reflect our tendencies and mental and emotional state. Seeking spirituality arises from maturity and a healthy mind that is not suffering. The kind of wants and needs for sex and killing ??! These are not merely unwise, the might require counseling.
It's nice that we can agree on something occasionally.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
No.
Very erudite rebuttals, Phet. Clearly thisissue is above your pay grade. You are a firm believer in cause/effect yet you dismiss the cause of want as stemming for innate imbalances in psychological or biological functioning, (i.e, needs) Wants and needs are NOT some vague and arbitrary distinction between our motivations. They are a sequence of cause (need) and effect (want) that is either conditioned, learned, or instinctual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality