Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 12:35 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I often have a hard time fathoming the existence of people such as yourself in 2023. It's just such an anachronism
Conforming to your sensibilities is not among my primary motivations in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 12:38 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Atheism has no political affinity. I have met atheists who are conservatives and libertarians, etc. Also many who work hard for the benefit and preservation of democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Atheism absolutely does have a political affinity - that being anti-Catholic.

Have you ever met an atheist who believes in Catholic monarchy or Catholic republicanism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Atheism is only the disbelief in the existence of God (or any god). Why should a person who does not believe God exists believe in a Catholic monarchy (whatever that is) or Catholic republicanism (whatever that is)?
Quote:
I'm glad to see that you agree with me that atheism does have a political affinity - that affinity being away from the Kingship of Christ.
Quote:
I absolutely, positively, do not agree with you.
Quote:
Then you and your atheist friends should have no problem acknowledging that Christ is King, and submitting to His rule.

This is getting ridiculous. What I believe is irrelevant. You keep trying to impose beliefs on atheists that none of them have ever claimed to hold.

If a person believes that God does not exist (by definition an atheist, it would be completely impossible for that person to acknowledge that Christ is King, or even that He is the Son of God. Of course, they wouldn't submit to something that they believe doesn't exist.

You really aren't making any sense today. However, it would be a reasonable guess that you have turned a number of people against Catholicism. Congratulations.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:43 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
A lot of time can be wasted trying to get a bird to live like a frog.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous. What I believe is irrelevant. You keep trying to impose beliefs on atheists that none of them have ever claimed to hold.

If a person believes that God does not exist (by definition an atheist, it would be completely impossible for that person to acknowledge that Christ is King, or even that He is the Son of God. Of course, they wouldn't submit to something that they believe doesn't exist.

You really aren't making any sense today. However, it would be a reasonable guess that you have turned a number of people against Catholicism. Congratulations.
Just because basic logic is outside the realm of your understanding, does not mean that I'm not "making any sense today".

I made one single, solitary point, which you proved -- that point being that atheism does have a political affinity. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to see.

If atheism explicitly rejects the Kingship of Christ (and it does), then it has a political affinity - that of the rejection of Christ's Kingship. If you disagree with that, then you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Just because basic logic is outside the realm of your understanding, does not mean that I'm not "making any sense today".

I made one single, solitary point, which you proved -- that point being that atheism does have a political affinity. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to see.

If atheism explicitly rejects the Kingship of Christ (and it does), then it has a political affinity - that of the rejection of Christ's Kingship. If you disagree with that, then you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

The Kingship of Jesus is irrelevant to politics. As has been shown many times, there are conservative and liberal Christians, and there are conservative and liberal atheists. Believing in God, or not believing in God does not define one's politics.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The Kingship of Jesus is irrelevant to politics. As has been shown many times, there are conservative and liberal Christians, and there are conservative and liberal atheists. Believing in God, or not believing in God does not define one's politics.
When Christ is again rightfully enthroned as King with a Catholic monarch serving as His vicar, then we'll see how "irrelevant to politics" you think it is.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
When Christ is again rightfully enthroned as King with a Catholic monarch serving as His vicar, then we'll see how "irrelevant to politics" you think it is.

Funniest post of the week.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:28 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

Have you ever met an atheist who believes in Catholic monarchy or Catholic republicanism?
Quote:
I'm glad to see that you agree with me that atheism does have a political affinity - that affinity being away from the Kingship of Christ.
You are misusing the term 'affinity.' When one thing has an affinity with another thing or a person has an affinity with another person there are shared characteristics between them which draw them together. You cannot therefore have an affinity AGAINST something or someone.

You cannot have an affinity away from something, i.e., from the Kingship of Christ. You might want to find a different term.

Also . . . you are being ridiculous.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
It is an AFFINITY TO personal freedom and responsibility and an AVERSION to theocracy, monarchy, or Kingship of any kind, IMO.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is an AFFINITY TO personal freedom and responsibility and an AVERSION to theocracy, monarchy, or Kingship of any kind, IMO.

While I would assume at atheism would create [at least somewhat] an aversion to theocracy, how did you come to the conclusion that it creates an aversion or monarchy or kingship and an affinity for personal freedom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality