Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2023, 09:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's crazy haha. My mom knows better than to even try with us. To be fair I don't even know where she lives. Because of my slow fade I had time to mentally/emotionally prepare when I finally stopped trying. I hear from her a couple times a year but it's always quite formal. I'm lucky in that my biological father was never a Jehoho so I always knew I had a safe place to go to whenever the other side of my life was shut off.
Having my dad not buy in helped so much. One of the young women I grew up with called me about ten years back. She asked me about my life. Her family had been prominent for generations. Her daughter started dating a "worldly man" and she was told to shun her daughter. She refused. I am FB friends with her. I see pictures of her with her daughter and also her grandchildren from the son that is still in. This year she finally started acknowledging the birthday wishes on FB. I am so impressed by her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 09:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I take that as a 'no'.

So, you would agree that this organizations fiscal policy is totally self-serving?
It is totally self-serving. Though I'm not aware of any evidence that those at the top of the chain are engaged in any kind of lavish life styles(if that's what you're alluding to). I feel like if that were the case the many disenfranchised former members would have exposed it more. Perhaps someone with more inside knowledge could shed better insight.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Having my dad not buy in helped so much. One of the young women I grew up with called me about ten years back. She asked me about my life. Her family had been prominent for generations. Her daughter started dating a "worldly man" and she was told to shun her daughter. She refused. I am FB friends with her. I see pictures of her with her daughter and also her grandchildren from the son that is still in. This year she finally started acknowledging the birthday wishes on FB. I am so impressed by her.
There's some cool podcasts out there with former members telling their stories (I was interviewed for one). They can be pretty interesting to listen to if you're into that kind of thing. Hearing different peoples stories from all over is pretty cool. Though it can also make my skin crawl bringing back repressed memories at times lol. It's a bit crazy how similar stories of former JW's are.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It is totally self-serving. Though I'm not aware of any evidence that those at the top of the chain are engaged in any kind of lavish life styles(if that's what you're alluding to). I feel like if that were the case the many disenfranchised former members would have exposed it more. Perhaps someone with more inside knowledge could shed better insight.
They are. There is a sub on Reddit for exJws. Its not like the JWs are all that interesting to other people.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
There's some cool podcasts out there with former members telling their stories (I was interviewed for one). They can be pretty interesting to listen to if you're into that kind of thing. Hearing different peoples stories from all over is pretty cool. Though it can also make my skin crawl bringing back repressed memories at times lol. It's a bit crazy how similar stories of former JW's are.
I love the ones that record their judicial committees.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:28 AM

3,828 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
No, there's that kind of abuse in every org, to a degree;

I'm respectfully wondering if 'neighborly love' the way Jesus defined it (Luke 10:25-37) is important in this org?

Old 07-07-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
No, there's that kind of abuse in every org, to a degree;

I'm respectfully wondering if 'neighborly love' the way Jesus defined it (Luke 10:25-37) is important in this org?
It's important to distinguish that JW's are not a mainstream religious organization. A big part of their doctrine is how separate they are from "false religion" (i.e. mainstream Christian denominations). Therefore the type of charitable organizations headed by large denominations will never be seen within their sphere. They are a borderline cult that is largely dependent on maintaining their closed sociological loop to control the perspective of their membership. Too much exposure to non JW's(outside of their trademark ministry) would put them at too much risk of being influenced by external ideologies.

Externally pretty much all of their donations go to funding their operations and messaging, as well as funding their ministry operations. Internally their messaging is pretty big on "neighborly love", and they do tend to close ranks pretty consistently when it comes to helping out each other. But no your not going to see a group of Jehovah's Witnesses going around and bettering a community at large with any kind of 501C type mission.

Old 07-07-2023, 11:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All you folks have to do is stop proselytizing and the controversies end.
If people want to seek you out, that's another thing.
You dont have to accept what we do or accept that God is real or that Jesus existed but at least try to understand that you're asking a Christian to stop following what Jesus instructed him or her to do.

This is probably the single trigger for a lot of people's annoyance with JWs. However, as a former Catholic, individual parishes (not the Church as a whole) but the one I used to belong to would go out. It was a very rare event. It was also very intimidating but all we had to do is distribute a preprinted invitation to a spaghetti feed or whatever food/activity was going on at the time.

The point is there are some who arent JWs that understand this is something that should be done even though it rarely happens among other faiths.

"Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people."-JW.Org

Old 07-07-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
You dont have to accept what we do or accept that God is real or that Jesus existed but at least try to understand that you're asking a Christian to stop following what Jesus instructed him or her to do.

This is probably the single trigger for a lot of people's annoyance with JWs. However, as a former Catholic, individual parishes (not the Church as a whole) but the one I used to belong to would go out. It was a very rare event. It was also very intimidating but all we had to do is distribute a preprinted invitation to a spaghetti feed or whatever food/activity was going on at the time.

The point is there are some who arent JWs that understand this is something that should be done even though it rarely happens among other faiths.

"Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people."-JW.Org
To add to this belief H4 mentioned is that if they were not fulfilling this scripture "the stones" would cry out. Now you all know why Keith Richards is still alive.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:12 PM

3,828 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
To add to this belief H4 mentioned is that if they were not fulfilling this scripture "the stones" would cry out. Now you all know why Keith Richards is still alive.

rofl
too soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality