Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 03:52 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,948,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My impression was that before he was 'struggling with it', and now has accepted it.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 07:32 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have never been to Utah, and never known any Mormons until the past few years.

I’ve recently discovered a first cousin who the family didn’t know about…really, she discovered us through dna. Her mother had an affaire with my uncle 50 years ago. She was raised by her mothers husband, but wondered why she didn’t look like her siblings.

It is hard to find fault with the Mormon values and lifestyle. My cousin and her husband have 4 children, all college educated and look like an ad for apples. One of the sons completed a mission in Guatemala and I believe a daughter is on mission now. Not sure about the other two. The eldest son and his wife are traveling through Europe for a year, with their baby, and blogging about it. It’s kind of cute that they commented that they MIGHT try drinking wine in France.

Truthfully, I’ve always thought Mormon was a weird cult, but since I’ve seen my cousin’s very healthy, thriving family, I don’t think that anymore. The proof is in the pudding. My only concern is that the kids seem to marry too young, but the marriages seem to be working.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:25 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never been to Utah, and never known any Mormons until the past few years.

I’ve recently discovered a first cousin who the family didn’t know about…really, she discovered us through dna. Her mother had an affaire with my uncle 50 years ago. She was raised by her mothers husband, but wondered why she didn’t look like her siblings.

It is hard to find fault with the Mormon values and lifestyle. My cousin and her husband have 4 children, all college educated and look like an ad for apples. One of the sons completed a mission in Guatemala and I believe a daughter is on mission now. Not sure about the other two. The eldest son and his wife are traveling through Europe for a year, with their baby, and blogging about it. It’s kind of cute that they commented that they MIGHT try drinking wine in France.

Truthfully, I’ve always thought Mormon was a weird cult, but since I’ve seen my cousin’s very healthy, thriving family, I don’t think that anymore. The proof is in the pudding. My only concern is that the kids seem to marry too young, but the marriages seem to be working.
I'm from Palmyra, NY -- the birthplace of Mormonism (but I'm not Mormon). And over the years I've known a number of Mormons after I left Palmyra.

Never met one that I would be able to criticize in terms of lifestyle. At least the obvious stuff.

BUT, I have learned to be disappointed if I ever tried to just be friendly to Mormon missionaries. For example, I was in a doctor's office one day...a bit of a wait. Two Mormon boys came in...instantly identifiable. They happened to sit down right next to me. I thought I'd be friendly, so I said, "I wonder if you've ever been to my home town?" "What town?" "Palmyra, New York". "Oh, the home of Joseph Smith!" "Yes". "No. Haven't been there? Are you Mormon?" "No, Buddhist". "Let us tell you about our religion". I got up and moved to a different part of the waiting room. Give it a rest!

Old 07-21-2023, 01:12 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm from Palmyra, NY -- the birthplace of Mormonism (but I'm not Mormon). And over the years I've known a number of Mormons after I left Palmyra.

Never met one that I would be able to criticize in terms of lifestyle. At least the obvious stuff.

BUT, I have learned to be disappointed if I ever tried to just be friendly to Mormon missionaries. For example, I was in a doctor's office one day...a bit of a wait. Two Mormon boys came in...instantly identifiable. They happened to sit down right next to me. I thought I'd be friendly, so I said, "I wonder if you've ever been to my home town?" "What town?" "Palmyra, New York". "Oh, the home of Joseph Smith!" "Yes". "No. Haven't been there? Are you Mormon?" "No, Buddhist". "Let us tell you about our religion". I got up and moved to a different part of the waiting room. Give it a rest!
That is what puts people off, I think, is that they are kind of tone deaf in their association with non Mormons. I suppose there are degrees. My cousin is a high school councilor and her husband is a school principal. They must be able to interact well with outsiders.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is what puts people off, I think, is that they are kind of tone deaf in their association with non Mormons. I suppose there are degrees. My cousin is a high school councilor and her husband is a school principal. They must be able to interact well with outsiders.
What you need to understand is that Mormon missionaries are in a completely different world than "regular Mormons." For two years, they eat, drink, sleep and breathe the gospel. I mean it's a 24/7 things. They are focused on it and nothing else during that period of time. Then they go home and turn back into everyday people like your cousin and her husband.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-21-2023 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 05:03 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What you need to understand is that Mormon missionaries are in a completely different world than "regular Mormons." For two years, they eat, drink, sleep and breathe the gospel. I mean it's a 24/7 things. They are focused on it and nothing else during that period of time. Then they go home and turn back into everyday people like your cousin and her husband.
But why this righteousness about their belief that what they have to sell is much more valuable than what their target audience already value? Why do they have so little regard and respect for other people's values and beliefs? if they are selling this don't "regular Momons" also surely think the same way even if they are not actively missionizing?
People of all religions are good decent people. That is a good place to start.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
But why this righteousness about their belief that what they have to sell is much more valuable than what their target audience already value? Why do they have so little regard and respect for other people's values and beliefs? if they are selling this don't "regular Momons" also surely think the same way even if they are not actively missionizing?
Just because we want to share something we have that we believe is good doesn't mean that we "have little regard and respect for other people's values and beliefs." If you are approached by Mormon missionaries, simply tell them you're not interested. They'll accept that answer. I'm sorry if you are offended by them, but I can't really give you any better answer than I already have. If you believe Mormons are looking down at the rest of humanity, that's just your imagination.

Quote:
I know of no Christian denomination where this is taught to a greater degree than in Mormonism. We may proselytize but we don't go around telling everybody who is not of our faith that they're destined to spend an eternity in Hell. We don't tell them that because we don't believe it. I have lost track of how many other Christian have told me that's where I'll end up.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-21-2023 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 05:19 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why do Mormon missionaries bother you so much? Haven’t you lectured atheists for feeling aggrieved by religious people who push their beliefs onto others in far more insidious and far-reaching ways? Or is your position that the non-believers are fair game, and the believers should team up to brow-beat them into religion and spirituality rather than try to convert one another?

As long as people can take a polite but firm “no” for an answer, I don’t really care what they’re trying to sell or what they might think of me for rejecting their sales pitch. That goes for fuller brushes as much as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:32 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Just because we want to share something we have that we believe is good doesn't mean that we "have little regard and respect for other people's values and beliefs." If you are approached by Mormon missionaries, simply tell them you're not interested. They'll accept that answer. I'm sorry if you are offended by them, but I can't really give you any better answer than I already have.

I know of no Christian denomination where this is taught to a greater degree than in Mormonism. We may proselytize but we don't go around telling everybody who is not of our faith that they're destined to spend an eternity in Hell. I have lost track of how many other Christian have told me that's where I'll end up.
I am never offended by people who want to tell me about their religion. Very rarely we have them coming to our door where we live, and when they do I tell them we are Hindus, thank you and they go their way. I respect the values and religious beliefs people hold. My town has several churches, a Jewish temple and a Hindu temple and people from all those places are actively engaged in doing good. I feel very privileged to be part of this community and appreciate what we are able to accomplish.
I am only referring to your complaint about JWs that you had posted several posts ago, that their opinion about you as Mormon as not being Christian is insulting. However you don't seem to understand that your fellow Mormons who are actively and intensely engaged for two years in converting people out of their beliefs is not disrespectful of their beliefs.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:33 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Just because we want to share something we have that we believe is good doesn't mean that we "have little regard and respect for other people's values and beliefs." If you are approached by Mormon missionaries, simply tell them you're not interested. They'll accept that answer. I'm sorry if you are offended by them, but I can't really give you any better answer than I already have.

I know of no Christian denomination where this is taught to a greater degree than in Mormonism. We may proselytize but we don't go around telling everybody who is not of our faith that they're destined to spend an eternity in Hell. I have lost track of how many other Christian have told me that's where I'll end up.
Yes Evangelical Christians are much bigger at bringing up the “Hell card”, than just about anybody else.
It’s perfectly acceptable for them to taunt Catholics and others with “wake up and smell the Sulfur”, on their own forums.
Jesus Christ never behaved like this.
Some other groups like JWs and SDAs are Annihilationists, and don’t believe in a literal and everlasting Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality