Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 6,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
With all due respect to JW's, I felt bad for them.
IMO, they were greatly deceived, and manipulated.

What makes you feel they were "deceived"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 11:59 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
This is the official website for JWs. It's transparent about our beliefs and practices.

https://www.jw.org/en/

Take what is posted here and elsewhere on social media with a grain of salt.

Much of the negative posts can contain facts but ultimately facts can be twisted into a negative narrative. No doubt some former JWs were raised in a way that caused them to hate. I wasn't raised as a JW and my personal experience is when you raise children with Bible principles in mind AND in a way that they don't feel forced into it...you can successfully raise children that appreciate those principles as adults.

Personal experiences can vary widely simply because although JWs are united in our beliefs we are not uniform. Also, no sincere JW will think each of us is above making mistakes. Nor believe that our organization is perfect and does not make corrections at times. The apostles themselves made mistakes and had at times serious disagreements among themselves so how would any Christian or Christian faith consider themselves perfect. Rather, the sincere Christian will make an honest effort to learn and change for the better. A faith that says they have Christ as head will apply those principles that Christ taught.

Some of beliefs are as follows:

1) We put faith in the ransom sacrifice of Jesus and we consider Christ the head of each one of us (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 5:23)

2) We worship YHWH. Yahweh, Jehovah (Psalm 83:18)

3) We believe things will get worse but ultimately the earth is not destroyed but transformed into the paradise that YHWH promised since the founding of the world. Who ultimately lives on that earth is in Jesus's hands as Jehovah has given him that authority. Not us. Not any human being. We can, however, do our part to make it known we want to be a part of God's Kingdom. (Ecclesiastes 1:4, Psalm 37:29)

4) We believe there are two deaths as mentioned in the Bible. There is a death that is common to us all. We die because of natural disasters, wars, disease, crime, and old age.

5) There is a second death (Revelation 20:14). This is the death that Jesus referred to in Mark 9:47-48 and which John mentioned in Revelation 20:14. The second death means no resurrection to everlasting life. BUT No hell fire no torture.

There are various and intense criticisms that we face. However, the end result is a faith that:

a) Does not use the political or legal process to force change on others even those that have a 360 degree lifestyle than our own.

b) We respect people of all sorts. Individuals may fail in this regard. Each of us is imperfect but collectively that is our faith. If you are gay, straight, atheist, non Christian, black, white and any color in between I am not going to hate or disrespect you. I don't have to agree with your practices or beliefs to treat you as the human being that you are.

c) We do not engage in carnal warfare and individuals have lost their freedom and lives (Nazis, Stalin's Soviet Union, Rwanda, Malawi, South Korea, modern day Russia, its a long list) to abide by Christ's commands: That we have love for one another and love for our neighbors.

d) Collectively we are known as peaceful and law abiding citizens.

However, haters will continue to hate. Do I hate in return. No. I believe that until the "end comes" anyone has a chance to change and come to know who God is and the goodwill he extends to us at this time.
Thank you for the post. I know very little about the religion. I have seen very few posts other than from those who do not belong anymore.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:16 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
I was not born and raised a JW. I did not feel compelled or coerced when I was baptized. Any individual who is baptized as a JW knows what they are getting into. Some may have felt compelled or coerced but that is more between the individual, God and the person or people who compelled or coerced them. That is NOT how it should be and the organization does, in fact, remind people to carefully consider baptism because it is a binding commitment to God.
If I have understood you correctly, and apology if not, you were a Catholic to begin with converted to JW? what drew you to it that Catholicism did not have?

Old 07-19-2023, 08:39 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlecabell View Post
What makes you feel they were "deceived"?
Based on a couple discussions.

Once with a couple " elders " I spoke to while getting coffee at a 7-11 near their " kingdom hall". Where they sited a verse in Matthew in their Bible that was different from any mainline translation. They could not explain the difference.
Another time at my home.

Both times, they recited verses and doctrine that were unfamiliar and contrary to mainstream doctrine.

In neither case, did the adherents seem to have any thoughts of their own. They seemed to be going by a script they didn't fully understand.

My view they were deceived is of course my opinion, based on my beliefs.

I suspect they thought the same for me.

What was most disturbing to me, was their seeming unwillingness or inability to find any common ground. As if they wanted, or needed to be different or separated from those of different beliefs.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:43 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
What was most disturbing to me, was their seeming unwillingness or inability to find any common ground. As if they wanted, or needed to be different or separated from those of different beliefs.
I have definitely found that to be the case. I am always looking to find common ground between my beliefs and those of people from other religious backgrounds. But with JWs, it's like the us versus them attitude is almost a fixation. They don't seem to want to agree with other Christians about anything.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:02 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have definitely found that to be the case. I am always looking to find common ground between my beliefs and those of people from other religious backgrounds. But with JWs, it's like the us versus them attitude is almost a fixation. They don't seem to want to agree with other Christians about anything.
I have had conversation with many religious people of all variety of religion, and participated in this forum where of course much of the same can be had. While each different religion and their adherents are different in some respects, there is a commonality about this element of exclusivity and/or "us v them" mentality. Seems to me it just boils down to a matter of degree...

Hard for me to understand people who can't find at least some common ground upon which to agree upon. If nothing else because we're all people. We all bleed, have our hopes, dreams and life challenges. Still, some people are locked into their religious ways more or less than others, and to the extent they believe in their religion over any other is ultimately never an entirely neutral matter. Get to the core of those differences, and I've found pretty much all religious people essentially the same in that respect. "Tribal" to some extent or another.

Might as well chock that up to human nature, however, because that's just how we all tend to roll as a general rule. For better or worse a matter of perspective...

Old 07-19-2023, 02:33 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
..................... They don't seem to want to agree with other Christians about anything.
To me Christian means agreeing with the Bible, agreeing with the teachings of Christ as found in Scripture - Matthew 15:9
- www.jw.org

Old 07-19-2023, 02:41 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If I have understood you correctly, and apology if not, you were a Catholic to begin with converted to JW? what drew you to it that Catholicism did not have?
One thing I found that at school we were taught the Earth would be destroyed.
I was told the Catholic church also taught the Earth would be destroyed. ( don't know if it still does )
What drew me away from that teaching was Ecclesiastes 1:4 B that the ' Earth abides forever. ' - Psalm 104:5
To me, just because known science can't prove that the un-provable is impossible by current knowledge does not mean we will not learn more of God's purpose after Jesus comes - Rev. 22:2

Old 07-19-2023, 02:50 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
To me Christian means agreeing with the Bible, agreeing with the teachings of Christ as found in Scripture - Matthew 15:9
- www.jw.org
Yes, but even JWs ought to be able to find some common ground with other Chrisians about what the Bible teaches. Often, other Christians do believe precisely what the Bible says.
They just interpret certain verses differently. To me, JWs don't seem to be able to find common ground with anybody about anything, and don't even consider other believers in Jesus Christ to be Christians. I find that very hurtful. Jesus Christ said, "By this shall men know ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. It seems to me that JWs, for the most part, have contempt to some degree for everyone other than their fellow JWs.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:23 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
One thing I found that at school we were taught the Earth would be destroyed.
I was told the Catholic church also taught the Earth would be destroyed. ( don't know if it still does )
What drew me away from that teaching was Ecclesiastes 1:4 B that the ' Earth abides forever. ' - Psalm 104:5
To me, just because known science can't prove that the un-provable is impossible by current knowledge does not mean we will not learn more of God's purpose after Jesus comes - Rev. 22:2
Fact is, the Earth will be destroyed...

Probably and ideally before any of us, our children or their children will be around to witness. Not a whole lot for anyone to worry about in my opinion. Nothing we can do much about in any case, but sometimes believers seem more focused and concerned about this sort of thing than I think they should be. Too bad for them.

As if we all don't have enough else to be worrying about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality