Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 10:51 AM

13,693 posts, read 8,005,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A sick morality.
??

What do you find sick? That not everyone lives a "full" life of ~80 years or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 10:51 AM

50,970 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm just trying to have a conversation. Part of having a conversation is trying to understand the other person's perspective.

I took your response to my assertion that:

to your taking issue with the principle that one typically needs to do something exceptional in order to be recognized as having achieved something worthy of merit, as opposed to just doing run of the mill, normal things.

I didn't think that the way I understood this was controversial. I was hoping you'd elaborate and explain how you see it differently.
So let's kill all the first born of Egypt to punish Egypt. Doesn't matter if some of those first born were kind and helpful to the heathen-god's flock. Kill them despite their merit or lack thereof. 80 years old, 30 years old, 3 days old...doesn't matter...kill them in punishment without regard.

Sick, sick, sick. And even sicker is that you are proud of it.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
So let's kill all the first born of Egypt to punish Egypt. Doesn't matter if some of those first born were kind and helpful to the heathen-god's flock. Kill them despite their merit or lack thereof. 80 years old, 30 years old, 3 days old...doesn't matter...kill them in punishment without regard.

Sick, sick, sick. And even sicker is that you are proud of it.
What gives you reason to assume that "some... were kind and helpful" or that any had earned to have their lives extended?

In your mind, what kind of things could a person do to earn a longer life from God?

Old 09-18-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
What gives you reason to assume that "some... were kind and helpful" or that any had earned to have their lives extended?

In your mind, what kind of things could a person do to earn a longer life from God?
What gives you reason to assume that "all the first born" acted evilly towards the Jews? Even the babies.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
What gives you reason to assume that "all the first born" acted evilly towards the Jews? Even the babies.
I have no reason or cause to make that assumption.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I have no reason or cause to make that assumption.
Let's use the same general principle. Quite a few catholic priests molested boys, and the church -- for the most part, over a long period of time -- pretty much looked the other way. Should god now kill all catholics for punishment?

Old 09-18-2023, 11:22 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I come from a some what different point of view.
Jesus told the disciples that He would send the Holy Spirit to tech in His place.
From the beginning I believe that this always was God's intention.
Because so few seek this relationship, very few know it, or know to teach it.
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Jesus said, Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven.........
(Those serious about this issue will look it up.)
Point is, it's not what you think you know or what you believe, but who is your teacher?
calling Jesus "lord" does not make it so. Jesus reprimanded His disciples, saying why do you call me lord and not do the things I tell you?
Without His actual influence in your life you are no different than a demon knowing Jesus name and power but not subject to Him.
The disciples were men like you and I, subject to externals pressures, not perfect.
I regard the greatest respect for the things Jesus is to have said, and still says.
As for the opinions of men I am not subject.
In fact there is severe waring for those accepting the tutelage of false teachers in the book of Revelation.
I finish with this , Jesus said, "Blessed are they that do Hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
This hunger is not only initial, but just as you feed your self with food to live, the need for God's influence is equally urgent every day.
"from a different point of view" is putting it mildly.

You put in a good deal of effort to explain something that for those who don't share your point of view isn't worth explaining. I wonder if you realize this. If your premise or "foundation" is not accepted by others, then why bother with the rest? Either your intent is to "preach to the choir" or you are wasting a fair amount of key strokes here.

In other words, would you talk in English to a group of people who only understood Chinese?

Old 09-18-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Let's use the same general principle. Quite a few catholic priests molested boys, and the church -- for the most part, over a long period of time -- pretty much looked the other way. Should god now kill all catholics for punishment?
Yes, and He will. Whether He should do it *right now* or sometime later, I can't say.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:31 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to have a conversation. Part of having a conversation is trying to understand the other person's perspective.

I took your response to my assertion that:

to your taking issue with the principle that one typically needs to do something exceptional in order to be recognized as having achieved something worthy of merit, as opposed to just doing run of the mill, normal things.

I didn't think that the way I understood this was controversial. I was hoping you'd elaborate and explain how you see it differently.
I appreciate the effort to "understand the other person's perspective," and as usual this forum proves that effort to be somewhat illusive. If not futile. Looking through the comments posted in this thread yet again this morning, I wonder if we're asking the right question(s). Not that I have any reason to think anyone is going to change their mind about what they believe along these lines as a result of exchanging perspectives, but maybe we try a different tack. For until I perhaps return tomorrow, because it's past time for me to sign off from here this morning...

Question for Christians (or anyone who believes in a god), what would cause you to become an atheist instead?

For atheists, what would cause you to become a believer in a god?

Since I am an atheist, I can answer the second question. I would believe in a god if anyone could provide any good evidence, proof or justification I should do so. That or if a god somehow made itself apparent to me. So far neither has occurred. Since I was once a Catholic, I suppose I could answer the first question to, but the answer would apply only to myself. I'm curious how other believers might answer...

Cheers until perhaps tomorrow!

Old 09-18-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, and He will. Whether He should do it *right now* or sometime later, I can't say.
god will kill all catholics as punishment for the errant priests?

do you even think about what comes out of your mouth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality