Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 10:07 AM

50,966 posts, read 24,467,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right. Or maybe just leave a note with some sort of indication it could have only been penned by an all-knowing being. For example a list of all games to be played during the coming NFL season with all the winners and losers of every game correctly named. That would make me a believer in some sort of supernatural being. Make me rich too...

No such thing for me so far however. Not sure why others like Joseph Smith were not only visited by God and/or angels but also left with golden tablets! If only the rest of us could have a look at those tablets and do some testing. That would help to make us all believers too, but no. Just too bad Smith returned those plates to the angel Moroni never to be seen again.

Maybe next time a bit more care will be put into keeping the evidence available for all to see and again, we'll all become believers just like that!
It was interesting to me that one day in my school's front office 3 or 4 of us were just chatting during some down time. We weren't talking abour religion at all. And suddenly, out of the blue, my secretary said (I guess because I was from Palmyra, NY...the birthplace of Mormonism) "If there were Golden Plates, why can't the Mormons show them to us?" I replied, "Well, Sarah, if there were tablets with the Ten Commandments, why can't christians show them to us?" "Well that's different". Yeah, it's always different when the shoe is on the other foot.

P.S. I am not Mormon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 10:14 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,183,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It was interesting to me that one day in my school's front office 3 or 4 of us were just chatting during some down time. We weren't talking abour religion at all. And suddenly, out of the blue, my secretary said (I guess because I was from Palmyra, NY...the birthplace of Mormonism) "If there were Golden Plates, why can't the Mormons show them to us?" I replied, "Well, Sarah, if there were tablets with the Ten Commandments, why can't christians show them to us?" "Well that's different". Yeah, it's always different when the shoe is on the other foot.

P.S. I am not Mormon.
I mean if it comes to that, why can't God just communicate to everyone directly? Why scribing phrases onto stone and metal plates through a go between? Funny that. You'd almost think it was all made up.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:18 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I take issue with both your characterization of faith as defying reason and logic, and that it is based in emotion.

I agree with this completely.
Fair enough, but rather than take issue, what have you got?

I am most certainly always interested to learn what reason and logic justifies a belief in a god. So far no one has ever been able to provide any that seems other than ultimately a function of feelings and emotions. Problem here too, not only having to do with different perspectives, is a very different opinion about what is proper criteria and justification to believe something is true. What is fact-based reason and logic and what is something else entirely.

No doubt you have your reason(s) and logic, but whether I would agree your reason(s) and logic are solid justification to believe a god exists, nothing personal, but I doubt you can do any better than everyone else who has tried to do the same thing.

Again, ultimately, if there really were any sound reason and logic to justify such a belief, we'd all be believers, and you would need not have to bother explaining yours...

Old 09-19-2023, 10:19 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,183,260 times
Quote:
Right. Or maybe just leave a note with some sort of indication it could have only been penned by an all-knowing being. For example a list of all games to be played during the coming NFL season with all the winners and losers of every game correctly named. That would make me a believer in some sort of supernatural being. Make me rich too...

No such thing for me so far however. Not sure why others like Joseph Smith were not only visited by God and/or angels but also left with golden tablets! If only the rest of us could have a look at those tablets and do some testing. That would help to make us all believers too, but no. Just too bad Smith returned those plates to the angel Moroni never to be seen again.

Maybe next time a bit more care will be put into keeping the evidence available for all to see and again, we'll all become believers just like that!
We all have mobile phones today. You could just scan all the pages.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:26 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I mean if it comes to that, why can't God just communicate to everyone directly? Why scribing phrases onto stone and metal plates through a go between? Funny that. You'd almost think it was all made up.
Almost...

Maybe God is a romantic, or a tease, or having a bit of fun!

What fun is a mystery novel if there really isn't any mystery?

Or is it us humans that are the romantics, teasers, fun lovers and fans of mystery?

Old 09-19-2023, 10:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,058,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
For Christians:

Do you believe the disciples of Jesus were real people? If so, what evidence convinces you that they were real people?
Yes. Of course they were. Some of them wrote the Gospels.
Quote:
Who wrote the bible?
Various people. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John wrote the books named after them. Luke also wrote Acts. Paul wrote a bunch of letters to the churches.

Tradition tells us Moses wrote the first 5 books of the OT, but obviously he couldn't have recorded the events of his own death, so someone else finished that. And various prophets, or their scribes wrote the other OT books. King Nebuchadezzar of Babylon actually wrote a chapter of Daniel.
Quote:
Why us? Our universe is constantly expanding and we have no idea what is out there. High probability that we are not the only "beings" that exist in the universe. Why did God choose Earth for Jesus to live on? Do you believe God came down as a human being on other planets as well?
We don't know what the probability is of other life in the universe is. In any event, it was God that created it, if it exists. He created this planet, and human beings because he chose to, in order to glorify himself. He's God, and he deserves it.
Quote:

What convinces you that there is an afterlife aside from what the bible says?
It's enough.
Quote:
What if you're wrong about God?
Then I'm wrong.
Quote:
If you are part of a denomination, what convinced you to choose that denomination and not others?
I've been a part of a number of different churches in a number of different denominations. The key point to consider was if the church I was a part of was loyal to what the Bible teaches.
Quote:

What convinces you that Christianity is the "right" religion and not other religions?
Because it is.
Quote:
Do you believe that God is responsible for everything? eg: if you are approved for a house, you should show grace and be thankful to God.
Yes.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:45 AM

989 posts, read 560,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
My question is if god wants us to be... or considers it wrong to do... (what ever fill in the blank) why are we able to go against it's wishes or decrees? We are able because it either doesn't exist or didn't make those rules, humans did.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:49 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
You don't like my definition? What's your objection?
Because it is your vague definition, not one that decribes what morality is.

Quote:
He could indeed obey; but I ask again, what is Adam's obedience worth if disobedience is literally not possible because of the tree's inaccessibility?
Because according to Genesis, Adam was not put here to practice 'heroic virtue'. That is just your ad hoc excuse to explain away why a god would do something knowing it would cause the fall of man.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:53 AM

13,692 posts, read 8,005,349 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but rather than take issue, what have you got?

I am most certainly always interested to learn what reason and logic justifies a belief in a god. So far no one has ever been able to provide any that seems other than ultimately a function of feelings and emotions. Problem here too, not only having to do with different perspectives, is a very different opinion about what is proper criteria and justification to believe something is true. What is fact-based reason and logic and what is something else entirely.

No doubt you have your reason(s) and logic, but whether I would agree your reason(s) and logic are solid justification to believe a god exists, nothing personal, but I doubt you can do any better than everyone else who has tried to do the same thing.

Again, ultimately, if there really were any sound reason and logic to justify such a belief, we'd all be believers, and you would need not have to bother explaining yours...
The existence of the universe and our ability to intellectually perceive it is the evidence that an intelligent Creator or "first mover" exists. There is no other explanation that is reasonable or logical. I realize that you disagree.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:55 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
What are you disagreeing with, exactly?

In principle, do you believe that a person should be lavished with rewards and accolades for simply doing what is expected of normal human beings; such as breathing, going to work, not committing crimes, etc?
Do you think people should be punished for all eternity for simply not believing in gods? Not what you think your god wants, what do you believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality