Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I don't think we do a good job trying to rehabilitate people as a society we haven't structured a good system for that end....we have structured a good system for locking people up.

Execution is murder. They take a man who is helpless and in chains and then end his life on purpose. It is a form of state sanctioned murder.
Except that it is not. To suggest that is to ignore what I said in regards to Romans 13. God allows for the state to execute a criminal in the same way that God commanded Israel to go to war, or even to execute people who violated his commands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that it is not. To suggest that is to ignore what I said in regards to Romans 13. God allows for the state to execute a criminal in the same way that God commanded Israel to go to war, or even to execute people who violated his commands.
Separate church and state.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
But was it God or was it people doing those things or claiming to do them in God's name?

That is the troubling question.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:04 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
I don't think we do a good job trying to rehabilitate people as a society we haven't structured a good system for that end....we have structured a good system for locking people up.
Sociopaths (and psychopaths) CANNOT BE REHABILITATED. Lock them up and throw away the key or the alternative for the safety of society. It is self-defense.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:45 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
It is also putative, designed to punish (and even just languishing for long periods of time or one's entire life, is itself punishment, so it isn't merely a question of things like solitary confinement or poor prison conditions). Punishment without some serious attempt at rehabilitation / redemption just hardens people.

I agree with another post that there are a relative handful of criminals who are too damaged or sick to rehabilitate and it is better to just keep them from society, period. But that is not true of most; the real causes of recidivism are cycles of poverty and discrimination and attitudes about crime outside of prison.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:08 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
There is nothing wrong with righteous punishment. Society must protect itself and its members from vicious wolves in human hide. More than likely, taking one life, to save many more.
The problem is - righteous. But, that is political, not R&S, question.
Also, Bible says "do not murder", not "do not kill". There is gross difference between the two concepts.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:27 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is gross difference between the two concepts.
For instance...

"killing the Amalekite children was just "killing" and not murder because it came from instructions from God.

If the Israelites had just killed he Amalekites on their own. Then it is "murder"? Right?

Old 03-10-2024, 07:35 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
For instance...

"killing the Amalekite children was just "killing" and not murder because it came from instructions from God.

If the Israelites had just killed he Amalekites on their own. Then it is "murder"? Right?
Thank you!

Old 03-10-2024, 08:08 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I don't see how anyone could claim to be a spiritual person and condone killing people for, well, killing people. Obviously doing this is not sending any sort of message because violent crime continues unabated. That is beside the point though, two wrongs don't make a right.

Quoting Biblical scripture or any other scripture is also besides the point. We're talking about here and now, not the past. If you kill someone for killing someone (and this is just one crime that usually has a death sentence on it, there are a lot of other crimes that are in that category), then by that reasoning someone should kill the person who killed a person because then they also killed someone.

It is never ending. Really dumb, illogical reasoning. It's like saying "OK, you committed a terrible crime by taking someone's life, so we're going to take your life". Absolutely crazy rationale.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 5,213 times
Quote:
I was a little surprised to learn that atheists and agnostics are more likely to oppose the death penalty than religious people like me who opposes the death penalty.

[url]https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/06/15/unlike-other-u-s-religious-groups-most-atheists-and-agnostics-oppose-the-death-penalty/[/url]

I was thinking it might be the opposite. I understand that everyone has unique religious views, but here is my thinking.

#1 Killing a person takes it out of God's hands. The execution also means that that person has less time to make amends and "get right with God" before going to judgement day or whatever the belief of purgatory, hell, heaven, etc...

#2 Although the Old Testament does speak of executions, the New Testament or new covenant or contract has people bring a lady to be stoned to death and Jesus says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." When the lady is spared Jesus tells the lady to go sin no more, which is reformation. This brings me to my next point.

#3 Reformation. Why do we punish people?

Revenge? That seems a bit silly and base level cave man. You did something bad so now something bad has to happen to you for satisfaction of others.

Preventative? People will do bad things unless they see consequences happening to those who wrong others. Perhaps some merit here, but I think most murders would happen whether or not there was a death penalty as they are done by either temporarily inflamed/insane people or people who don't have a good moral compass to begin with.

Reformation? It seems like the goal of society should be to reform others for the better. Rehabilitate them into better people. Norway places an emphasis on reformation and they have lower crime rates.

I've talked to former criminals who have been reformed by finding Jesus and/or the local "Exit Program" which helps with jobs and choices for those getting out of jail.

The death penalty is often a safety issue in regards of so they can't kill again, but if they are locked up for life and can't be reformed with in the confines of securing them away where they can't harm that also solves that issue.

#4 Hypocrisy. "Thou shalt not murder" is what we are commanded to not do. The death certificate of a person who has been executed reads "homicide" or in other terms intentional murder. If murdering is wrong, why would we murder murderers?

#5 Think of the emotional strain on those who must partake on the execution process and their lifetime of stress and strain having to participate in killing people for the government.

#6 Many religious people like me, consider myself to be pro-life. I have a hard time being pro-life if I support death in this instance.

#7 The death penalty is often more expensive because of all of the legal appeals and time that it takes. We have a lot of government debt.

What are all of your thoughts?

I realize there are a variety of unique and valid beliefs regardless of what your religious beliefs are or aren't.
Today, the death penalty implies that a governing body handle it. Atheists don't want that as most prefer to have no rules or laws, at least those I've known. A good buddy who is an Atheist completely agreed with me that society is actually better for Atheists if it is made up mostly of religious people.

If it were not, then everyone would believe as Atheists and there would be chaos. With religion, the Atheists have an immunity in society to caring about many things - unless it somehow suits their belief system. If you're an Atheist in a society of Christians, for example, you are free to do as you please and color anywhere you like while all others are coloring only within the lines - to the best of their ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality