Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 12:34 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Punishment and Religion are entirely human creations, as is the notion of "justice" which is beyond our reach. We cannot "repair" victims making any notion of "justice" moot. Punishment after the fact is vengeance and is believed to be a deterrent. It seldom is. There is some value in permanently removing some violent and dangerous members of society, but ironically death (as I see it) is hardly punishment. It moves us on to our actual life as Spirit, IMO.

The victims of an early death may not feel victimized at all. But those remaining behind definitely do. The vengeance aspect of punishment is for them, IMO. Despite the many imagined fates our humanity conjures, we cannot know what awaits us. But since I KNOW we are "born again" as Spirit there WILL be consequences from what we have BECOME in this life. That should be enough to rethink death and give us pause, IMO. However, few will believe me without their own experience of God. Perhaps it is one of Tzaph's "imaginary conundrums."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:43 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Punishment and Religion are entirely human creations, as is the notion of "justice" which is beyond our reach. We cannot "repair" victims making any notion of "justice" moot. Punishment after the fact is vengeance and is believed to be a deterrent. It seldom is. There is some value in permanently removing some violent and dangerous members of society, but ironically death (as I see it) is hardly punishment. It moves us on to our actual life as Spirit, IMO.

The victims of an early death may not feel victimized at all. But those remaining behind definitely do. The vengeance aspect of punishment is for them, IMO. Despite the many imagined fates our humanity conjures, we cannot know what awaits us. But since I KNOW we are "born again" as Spirit there WILL be consequences from what we have BECOME in this life. That should be enough to rethink death and give us pause, IMO. However, few will believe me without their own experience of God. Perhaps it is one of Tzaph's "imaginary conundrums."
I am with you all the way there, Mystic. Good post.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:23 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:

I would say that life in prison is a fate worse than death, in most countries anyway, most definitely including the US. If the objective is vengeance, then even a botched death sentence is letting the perp off relatively easily. What is 10 minutes of burning vasculature over against decades of brutal prison conditions and zero hope?

Old 03-05-2024, 07:28 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?
So if your loved one is murdered, you'd disobey the very specific commands of Jesus as to how to handle the situation?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So if your loved one is murdered, you'd disobey the very specific commands of Jesus as to how to handle the situation?
If you mean turn the other cheek, yes.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
So if your loved one is murdered, you’ll just “turn the other cheek”? You won’t seek justice?
Don't pretend the euphemism of "justice" is what you would seek. You would seek VENGEANCE! But that is not yours to exact.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Don't pretend the euphemism of "justice" is what you would seek. You would seek VENGEANCE! But that is not yours to exact.
Why do you say that about me?

Old 03-05-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Why do you say that about me?
I say that about anyone who thinks punishment exacts "justice." It ONLY exacts vengeance, period. Its supposed "deterrent effect" is virtually non-existent and it does NOTHING for the victims or those who love them except to sate their vengeance.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I say that about anyone who thinks punishment exacts "justice." It ONLY exacts vengeance, period. Its supposed "deterrent effect" is virtually non-existent and it does NOTHING for the victims or those who love them except to sate their vengeance.
Then answer my original question.

Quote:

Old 03-06-2024, 01:45 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
While I certainly understand the human desire for revenge - I occasionally express smidgins of those desires myself - the word 'justice' is most often used as a disguise for 'revenge'. Let's face it, what else? It's human to hit back at someone and desire that they be made to suffer just as they made someone else suffer. But what good does that do? Give you a temporary buzz? Is the perpetrator made aware that you are happy that they are suffering for causing the suffering of someone else? No. Nothing is accomplished here as far as personal feelings are concerned. This is why the impersonal law of the land has to be relied upon to enact 'justice'.

Don't think for one second that I don't express inner rage when I hear of someone being cruel to an animal. In that moment I want them eliminated from this world. Generally, people feel this way about cruelty to children - and of course it goes without saying that this should be abhorred - but children turn into adults, and they have the opportunity to deal with these things AS adults. Animals don't. That said, once the rage has subsided and reason returns, there IS a chance that that person eventually regrets all by his/herself the error of their ways and may do a complete turnaround. This would then change how I once felt about them.

I recall a TV program from many years ago entitled From Fury To Forgiveness. This involved four different people who had a horrendous thing happen that affected their lives ...the murder of a loved one. They went through the same processes that we all would go through under the same set of circumstances. The fury was therefore understandable, but the eventual forgiveness by 'the victim' that led to a complete life changing experience for the perpetrators was mind-blowing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality