Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
If something has been of great benefit to you, I think it's only natural to want to pass that on to your children.

Of course, when talking about "religion", which is defined simply as the means by which man relates to the Divine, we would have to make a distinction between religion generally, and True Religion which is that religion that God Himself has revealed to mankind.

Religion (generally) is a necessary part of the human experience. To consciously eschew religion is to eschew a part of one's humanity; but I would submit that humans who eschew formal religion ultimately end up substituting something else for it.
The bold is something you are convinced YOU know and I would ask how you know it and what gives you such certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 1,044,498 times
I would not impose my will on my children. Or on other people.

"Monkey see, monkey do." Children are like sponges. They might repeat what they see/observe.

The only thing that I would do is to be an example for them. They see me meditating/praying for instance and then becoming more calm and composed. They might want to meditate too.

It's not easy to be an example for someone else. Especially a child with his/her own personality. They might copy our behavior or they might not.

This all comment was hypothetical, since we don't have children.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

13,712 posts, read 8,025,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Of course you would impose your will on your children, that is if you care anything about them.

If you observed your child running out into a busy street, you would run after your child and physically grab them to keep them out of the street, against the child's will, since your will is that the child lives.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Of course you would impose your will on your children, that is if you care anything about them.

If you observed your child running out into a busy street, you would run after your child and physically grab them to keep them out of the street, against the child's will, since your will is that the child lives.
I was talking about imposing my will regarding religion.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I was talking about imposing my will regarding religion.
Why the exception for religion? What if your child wanted to practice a religion with bloody animal sacrifices inside your house?

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

I would send him/her to your house to practice there.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I would send him/her to your house to practice there.

Here's to imposing your will on your child!

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

20,448 posts, read 12,832,027 times
Quote:

"Monkey see, monkey do." Children are like sponges. They might repeat what they see/observe.

The only thing that I would do is to be an example for them. They see me meditating/praying for instance and then becoming more calm and composed. They might want to meditate too.

It's not easy to be an example for someone else. Especially a child with his/her own personality. They might copy our behavior or they might not.

This all comment was hypothetical, since we don't have children.
Since you don’t have children, your opinion is of little regard.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

9,389 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Quote:

Here's to imposing your will on your child!
Will-imposition also comes in varying shades and degrees and depends greatly on context. What will you do if your children try to rebel from or ultimately renounce your fundamentalist Catholic beliefs?

Obviously, your religious beliefs are extremely important to you, and it’s natural (typical even) to want your children to share in those beliefs.

My question is how far are you willing to take it if you’re faced with resistance? Where do you draw the line if you draw a line anywhere at all?

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

51,011 posts, read 24,518,580 times
Quote:

Letting a child choose a belief system that they personally believe in (rather than forcing them to believe what you believe) is not the same as keeping them from getting hit by a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality