Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What's a sin and what isn't depends on your brand of Christianity, interpretation of the Bible, and how extreme/literal you want to get with it. Catholics believe using birth control is a sin, yet I don't hear them preaching at and condemning Protestants who believe otherwise. The anti-gay Christians just don't seem capable of a "live and let live" attitude on the subject.
The problem is, you deal in "brands" of belief, I do not. How do you think all those atrocities happened in the name of God throughout history? It was mans sinful and devious intent to use God's word for his own pleasure. Much like is being done now to justify sin. This isn't anything new, its been going on since the beginning of man. There is only one truth, and that is God's.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The problem is, you deal in "brands" of belief, I do not. How do you think all those atrocities happened in the name of God throughout history? It was mans sinful and devious intent to use God's word for his own pleasure. Much like is being done now to justify sin. This isn't anything new, its been going on since the beginning of man. There is only one truth, and that is God's.
Hmm... how do you not know it's YOU who are being sinful and devious, using God's word to support your own agenda? People used it to support slavery, outlawing mixed race marriage, keeping women from voting, etc.

You think I'm a deviant. I think I'm a great person! You just happen to think you're 100% correct in your beliefs, when I know that can't be true.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
If someone wants to teach that God says it's not a sin, then i have an issue with it, other than that...people do what they want to do.

godspeed,

freedom
Issue? Who gave you the right to decide what should and shouldn't be taught in churches? You're coming across as very authoritarian - not freedom loving. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
That doesn't make any sense, nomander agrees with the word of God.

godspeed,

freedom
No, nomander agrees with you. You both appear to have the same or similar religious beliefs/Biblical interpretations.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
See my thing with that is that anti-gay Christians condemn homosexuals and by doing so they aren't following Christ's example. If anything they should welcome them and pray for them.

IMO homosexuality a sin but it's not my job to condemn anyone. I had a baby out of wedlock; having sex was the sin - the baby was not.

So I condemn the act, but not the person.
While I find your attitude more refreshing than others posted here, I'd never go to any church that thought my being gay was a sin and that I needed praying for.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hmm... how do you not know it's YOU who are being sinful and devious, using God's word to support your own agenda? People used it to support slavery, outlawing mixed race marriage, keeping women from voting, etc.

You think I'm a deviant. I think I'm a great person! You just happen to think you're 100% correct in your beliefs, when I know that can't be true.

Because his word is clear? Because I don't take things I like and throw out things I don't to come to my conclusions? Because I attempt to find the truth within the context to which the word is written and not my own desires?

Maybe you can explain what the following means without having to omit things and take us into the realms of wild logic of the depraved mind? Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 1:18-1:32
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities -his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator -- who is forever praised, Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to depraved mind, to do what not ought be done. They became filled with every type of wickedness, evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things, but also approve of those who practice them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 7:15-7:27
Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord,' did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Romans 1 26:27

Don't have sex in honor of fertility gods.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Romans 1 26:27

Don't have sex in honor of fertility gods.
Thats what you got form that? I think you missed several sentences to which you are ignoring. How about you provide the premises from that text to support your conclusion so we can see what you leave out to come to it. That way, we can see the honesty in your response.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
While I find your attitude more refreshing than others posted here, I'd never go to any church that thought my being gay was a sin and that I needed praying for.
Everyone needs prayer. No one is going to say a prayer asking God to change your sexuality, at least not at my church. They're just going to pray that God helps to correct anything that He finds wrong in your life and lead you to make the choices that will get you into his kingdom. That's pretty much the way my church is, we don't pray for specifics unless you ask us to.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Thats what you got form that? I think you missed several sentences to which you are ignoring. How about you provide the premises from that text to support your conclusion so we can see what you leave out to come to it. That way, we can see the honesty in your response.
Paul (my favorite person ) was writing to rome concerning his trip to the Med. Who doesn't need a nice "vaca" to the med. Anywho along the way he sees people doing wild naughty sex in honor of the likes of Aphrodite etc. He says they turned away from God and thus in turning away from God (since they were honoring the fertility gods) they were wrong.

Bingo Bango.. pow. Don't have sex and honor the fertility Gods..

See.. you get lost in the trees.. The premise is those who turn from God (insert those who worship fertility Gods) are wrong.. not the specifics of what they are doing when turning from God.

But.. hey.. you have your opinion.. I've got mine. Remember.. just follow.. WWPD (What would Paul do).. and you'll be fine. No worries..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality