Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,463 times

Advertisements

Long story short.... Basically leaving the long story out ...

I've just started exploring spirituality and I'm wondering how different people view it or feel it.

What's your definition of spirituality? How do you know when you are just a spiritual person?

Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post

I've just started exploring spirituality and I'm wondering how different people view it or feel it.

What's your definition of spirituality? How do you know when you are just a spiritual person?

Rose
I quess you know that you're a "spiritual person" if you are, in some way, wanting to access the "living sprit" and wanting to come to know yourself as the being that you, in truth/reality, are.
We're all spiritual people.
Some (many!), for a whole variety of reasons, are consciously seeking to realize this.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 PM

258 posts, read 790,656 times
What do YOU mean by spiritual and I'll tell you how I feel about it. Not sure what angle you are seeing it as.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I think it also depends on what you mean by spiritual. I think of spiritual as having two meanings.

When I think of spiritual, I can't help but think of a sort of separeteness of mind and body. I'm often reminded of that movie Short Circuit when there was a robot that consisted of nothing more than nuts, bolts, and silicon circuit cards. When powered down it was nothing more than just a pile of nuts, bolts, and silicon just as the human body is really just a composition of biological cells. However, once he was "brought to life" he had a wide range of emotions, thoughts, and even percepted feelings. It seems to me that what we call the spirit is often the collection of our wide range of emotions, thoughts, and feelings.

I think that many religions and religious people view the spirit as something divine in nature - that the collection of emotions, thoughts, and feelings are divine in some form or fashion and provided by a deity, life force, or something of that nature. It is with this in mind that I think that people are often very much attached to their "spirituality" of religious beliefs because it seems to directly affect their emotions.

The way I look at spiritual is still the same in regards to that which comprises our thoughts, emotions, and feelings but I do not feel that a God, life force, or something of that nature is necessary for these things to exist. If we are to call that which makes us human - thoughts, feelings, emotions, ego, etc... - a "spirit" then I have no problem with that. But, I also do not think that the word "spirit" should be directly implied to that which we might call supernatural. I hate to sound like a reductionist, but ultimately I think that the "spirit" (the collection of different emotions, thoughts, and feelings) is something that resides as a function of the brain - particularly in the pre-frontal cortex.

If we are to say we are becoming "more spiritual" are you referring to that which you imply as having a deeper connection with your own thoughts, emotions, and feelings or are you talking about becoming spiritual in regards to how you perceive these thoughts, emotions, and feelings in regards to how it relates to a divine entity of sorts?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
To me spirituality is everything abstract and / or metaphysical.
I don't really care if I'm spiritual or not.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
To me, finding your "spirit" is finding that part of you that is "You"...what you know to be the truth in your life. It is discovering your own belief system, be it Christian, Agnostic, Atheist, Dharmic, Wiccan, Druid...whatever, and not being influenced by what others insist is the truth. I believe it is wise to read and study and understand what others believe, but make your final decisions on what you feel in right for you, your conscience. Good luck in your journey

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post

Rose
Rose, Spirituality comes from within, look within yourself, it comes from the heart first and then travels to the mind and soul. Trust your heart, it will never let you down.osay

Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

285 posts, read 902,249 times
Rose I used to believe in the conventional belief of God and Jesus. Now that I'm a older I believe in God as a creator. However I now feel the bible is just a book of one belief. Like the Mormon's have their book. I have never been a church type and now after working/meeting people I know many do not practice what they believe. I do believe in karma and the energies we emit and receive. JMHO

Old 07-27-2008, 12:19 PM

22,226 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Read, study, explore, listen with your heart, follow your heart, trust your inner divinity to lead you to Truth. Enter into a dialogue with that which you seek, and see where it leads you. Continue to live in the question, and the answers reveal themselves to you.

You are a spiritual being having a physical experience here on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality