Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM

68 posts, read 104,065 times

Advertisements

Deeply, I'm grieved by the tragic shootings that occured at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Church. Thus far, two people have died and numerous others remain hospitalized in critical condition. As our mayor and others have voiced "...let us remember that community in prayer." Perhaps, some of you may want to humbly do something that would be an encouragement to those parishioners? Sunday evening I motored over that way to proffer quiet reflections. However, the area was still saturated by the media and police. I held my thoughts in my breast and passed bye.

Respectfully, and out of deference to those who are still suffering. Is it possible that this is a propitous moment to broach an arduous philosophical issue? Is it time to eliminate guns in our society? Isn't this something we owe to each other? Isn't it something we owe to the well-being of the broader human family" Yes, I've heard the countervailing arguments. For me they are invalid. Nowadays, most people don't have a basis for moral decision making. Thus, what is available to stop an agitated person from commiting a heinous crime? Certainly, it is not reason. We've seen how that has failed after W.W.I. Neither is it the personal-pragmatism of living well. Such actions have virtually no affect on heated irrationality or inflamed anger. Thus, could this be an opportunity to volitionally and legally pursue ends that would eliminate firearms? In so doing we may be able eschew evil and do good!
Shalom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
Typical freakout response. If we didn't have guns everybody would be sitting in flowered meadows playing with butterflies under clear blue skies.

If the guy wouldn't have had a shotgun, he could have just as easily driven by and waited until service let out and simply start running over people. He would have killed more people that way since it would be harder to wrestle a car away than it would a gun.

Hand over your keys to the govt now. Cars murder people.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM

22,240 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. T. View Post
Is it time to eliminate guns in our society? Isn't this something we owe to each other? Isn't it something we owe to the well-being of the broader human family" Shalom.
Yes, we would be a lot better off individually and collectively without guns.

Plain and simple, the use and ownership of guns feeds on fear and violence, and perpetuates fear and violence. We now have children with guns killing in schools. That in itself is enough proof that violence and guns in this country are doing great damage and need to be eliminated.

You are "ahead of your time" in suggesting it, and are not likely to get a lot of support, but you are 100% correct in what you ask and suggest. I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are people around the world who support and practice a world without the fear and violence of guns. I am one of them and there are others, we thank you for your message.

Blessings and shalom.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
I would like to point out that some of the most dangerous cities have the most strict gun laws. Why? Because they only affect people who buy them legally. Criminals don't care how much you restrict the buying or selling of firearms. They will get them either way. They are criminals. That's what they do. All you would do by banning guns is shifting power from the common citizens to the criminal. If you outlaw something, only outlaws will have it. Banning guns makes it easier to target people. They have no legal way of defending themselves, so that makes it easier on the criminal.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Typical freakout response. If we didn't have guns everybody would be sitting in flowered meadows playing with butterflies under clear blue skies.

If the guy wouldn't have had a shotgun, he could have just as easily driven by and waited until service let out and simply start running over people. He would have killed more people that way since it would be harder to wrestle a car away than it would a gun.

Hand over your keys to the govt now. Cars murder people.
Don't take this the wrong way but that kind of attitude is the reason the United States has such high gun crime rates in relation to other developed countries. Guns are designed to kill. Period. Why would you want more killing implements in your society than necessary?

Last edited by happynoodleboycey; 07-29-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I would like to point out that some of the most dangerous cities have the most strict gun laws. Why? Because they only affect people who buy them legally. Criminals don't care how much you restrict the buying or selling of firearms. They will get them either way. They are criminals. That's what they do. All you would do by banning guns is shifting power from the common citizens to the criminal. If you outlaw something, only outlaws will have it. Banning guns makes it easier to target people. They have no legal way of defending themselves, so that makes it easier on the criminal.

the children in schools who are killing are not criminals, they are children who got guns from family members who believe in guns and violence, and teach their children the same thing, and make it easy for them to get guns

Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
the children in schools who are killing are not criminals, they are children who got guns from family members who believe in guns and violence, and teach their children the same thing, and make it easy for them to get guns
My point stands. A gun ban will not work and will only make things worse for non-criminals.

And it's funny how people like you connect gun ownership with believing in violence. That line of thinking is simply ridiculous.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Statistics show that where guns are freely available, the rate of successful suicide goes way up. It is a much higher risk than the risk of home invasion.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Statistics show that where guns are freely available, the rate of successful suicide goes way up. It is a much higher risk than the risk of home invasion.
exactly

Homicide goes up too. When handguns are used, 97% of the time it is for suicide and homicide and violent crime; only 3% of the time are handguns used in self-defense or against intruders

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
And it's funny how people like you connect gun ownership with believing in violence. That line of thinking is simply ridiculous.
People who own guns thrive on fear and violence, absolutely no other reason or justification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality