Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 04:54 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
Just gotta try to hit it one more time:

[Jesus died for our sins.]

Just shoot me in the head, and I will die for your sin.
Then go home and shoot your dog in the head and see if it will die for your sin.

Sin kills...your sin, or my sin?

Did they even offer Jesus a good way out?
run, run, run and hide?
He didn't die FOR our sins. He died because of our sins to make our sins irrelevant through His perfection (Grace).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 03:36 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of the foundation beliefs in the Christian religion is that when Jesus was crucified and died on the cross that he died for our sins... Can anyway explain this in layman's terms without quoting the Bible and simply lay out their thoughts in an easy to understand manner?
Cool that you’re caring enough to try to understand.

I grew up Christian & still believe in Christ but without dysfunctional dogma.

This is how I see it..
If Jesus took upon him my sins & heals me, then, what healing am I responsible for? And what about any pain I caused others? Personally, I have taken my sins and pains to God and try to make at-one by rethinking, studying it out in my mind, praying & little by little improving. That, is how weaknesses have been made strengths.

How can God be both omniscient and not understanding us without human sacrifice scapegoating?

To test the morality (or godliness) of this... imagine this legalized. A man comes in, tortures & kills a family before he steals & it’s caught on security camera. His guilt is undeniable. He is sentenced to death. You say, “My innocent son will die for him, let the murdering thief go.” So the man, and many others, go and repeat this over and over, never learning, but rather hurting many.
... What kind of hellish society would that be?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:22 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of the foundation beliefs in the Christian religion is that when Jesus was crucified and died on the cross that he died for our sins. For those of you who know me, you know I'm not asking that in some sarcastic manner, I just honestly have never understood what that even means. First of all, Christians also believe that Jesus arose from the dead and that he's living right now so he really isn't really dead afterall. So here's a few questions about this situation. If Jesus hadn't died for our sins how would that have changed the circumstances of the lives of every human being? What exactly does it mean when Christians say he died for our sins? Are you saying that even though Jesus didn't commit the sins committed by billions of human beings that it erased their bad behavior and somehow changed the fundamental situation they would be facing and gave them an opportunity for eternal life which they otherwise would not have had? I've really never heard anyone explain this whole scenario in simple, easy to understand language that actually makes sense and yet this is one of the core principles of the Christian religion. Can anyway explain this in layman's terms without quoting the Bible and simply lay out their thoughts in an easy to understand manner?
For those who might not know my version from 14 years ago. Our species was failing to achieve its goal to connect our collective human consciousness with God's consciousness. All the failures were the result of our "sins" (missing the mark of agape love). By the time of Christ, we had evolved the necessary ability to do so, but were still failing. Jesus achieved it for us (perfect resonance = IDENTITY with God's Agape love) but we repaid Him for it by scourging and crucifying Him.

He died for ("because of") our "sins" (missing the mark of agape love). His death and rebirth (resurrection) as the Holy Spirit connected all human consciousness with God's consciousness. He abides with each of us in our consciousness as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." Because of His perfect Grace (perfect resonance) our imperfections of agape love no longer present a problem to our connection with God. Therefore, God is not counting our sins against us, but we still must reap whatever we sow and do not repent of. Bottom line: Love God and each other every day and repent when we don't or reap exactly whatever we sow.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyWillis View Post
It doesn't mean anything, except as a way to instill guilt in the suckers who believe it. Besides, according to the mythology, jesus is in heaven on the right-hand side of god, so I guess he didn't die after all. Maybe just fainted for a brief period.
Run out of puppies to kick?

Old 10-12-2020, 09:25 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I never understood why christians always say "jesus died for you" or "jesus died for our sins" when that is patently false. Jesus did not die for me, he only died for believers. And if you think about it, since over 2/3rds of the world do not believe in him, then jesus really hardly died for anyone.
Look: the people who died before Jesus did Not have the opportunity to put faith in Jesus - John 3:13
Sinless Jesus died for all starting with faithful: Abel.
In the future resurrection (Acts 24:15) there will be the resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous......
Only those judged as wicked will be 'destroyed forever' - Psalms 92:7
Please notice at Romans 6:23,7 that ' death ' is the price tag that sin pays in full.
There is No post-mortem penalty for sin, there is No double jeopardy for sin for anyone.
So, on Resurrection Day ( meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth ) people will be resurrected back to happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth, or as Matthew 20:28 says that Jesus' ransom covers MANY......
Only some are called to heavenly life ( like those of Daniel 7:18; Luke 22:28-30 )

Old 10-12-2020, 10:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Our sin is the absence of God's influence.
Rebellion does not take a strike, it merely be negligence.
Adam chose to recieve influence elseware like an impetuant child.( Eve was merely leverage)
Jesus made it clear that merely claming His name did not produce a relationship, Jesus porvided the Holy Spirit to teach in His stead. Jesus comming and teaching was the conduit of this gift. his death was the release of the Spirit the coin tossed in the well worth going after, for the lesser beloved part.
Through out the centuries God found those that loved Him, and He and blessed them and gave them this gift, and He does to this day though their fame is not heard they dont seek it among men, but before God alone.
I meet them here and there from time to time, not always in church ,but usually on the street or at a coffee shop.
Age is irrelevant their love for God is our kinship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality